PDA

View Full Version : Miss geico 29 stainless steel prop question

waterproof
05-24-2014, 04:22 AM
Hi.
I have a stock miss geico 29 v2 that i run on 4s with the stock plastic prop, how faster would it be with the pro boat metal prop right out of the box without sharping and balance? It is the same size as the stock plastic prop.

I dont have balance tools, could i sharp it with sand paper or a knife sharper without balance it?
Think im going to order balance tools. But it would be nice to get it sharp before i try it :)

Thanks for the reply,

JimClark
05-24-2014, 04:24 AM
Have someone balance and sharpen it for you

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

tlandauer
05-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Hi.
I have a stock miss geico 29 v2 that i run on 4s with the stock plastic prop, how faster would it be with the pro boat metal prop right out of the box without sharping and balance? It is the same size as the stock plastic prop.

I dont have balance tools, could i sharp it with sand paper or a knife sharper without balance it?
Think im going to order balance tools. But it would be nice to get it sharp before i try it :)

Thanks for the reply,
I agree with Jim!
That prop is heavy, and will vibrate a lot if it is out of balance ( Proboat claims that you can use it out of box, but that is really a wishful thinking on their part) , I used it once w/o doing any work and in 3 or 4 runs my strut bearing was enlarged, the shaft was dancing in it. I would pay a professional to do the job if you don't have the tools and knowledge to do a proper job.
Don't know how much faster it will be, I know it is noticeably faster, but I didn't verify the increase in speed with calibrated instrument.
I myself have not entertained with the idea of sharpening this and any other metal prop especially steel natured with sand paper, I do use sand paper on used props to regain any slight dullness on the blade due to minor dings and nicks. As far as the balancer: you absolutely need a prop balancer.

waterproof
05-24-2014, 04:58 AM
I dont know any in my country that sharp and balance props, it not many rc boat hobby people here..

Thanks for reply, then i leave it stock without doing anything.
After reading your experience with the stainless pro boat prop i maby dont want to mount it when i get it.
I have use this stock proboat metal prop that came on my impulse 31 without any issues, maby i was lucky..

Im going to watch the strut bearing. What could happen if it broke? Would the strut get more room inside if the prop is unbalanced?
Im tired of the plastic prop that is on the boat now so i must try the new one when it been delivered.

tlandauer
05-24-2014, 05:21 AM
I was maybe unlucky and got a really out-of -balanced prop( this one that you mentioned). The bushing ( forgive me, I was not clear) in the strut was enlarged due to the vibration.
I must say again that it was my experience, so if you didn't have any issue, you were lucky, but a properly thinned, sharpened and balanced prop would give you the maximum benefit that you are looking for.

tlandauer
05-24-2014, 05:40 AM
What I mean is the constant vibration on the prop shaft caused the bushing to wear out quickly---this may be a rare case but it did happen to me. I was putting grease on my prop shaft and cable and I happened to "wiggle" the prop shaft and was shocked to discover how much free play I had . It was not a normal amount.

785boats
05-25-2014, 03:35 PM
You could try the appropriate size from the CNC range. They don't need balancing. I run them on a few boats. Great props.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=CNC+2+Blade+Props