PDA

View Full Version : Rudder will not return to center when I let go of the wheel

fox88gt
05-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Heres one for you guys...

I've had my Revolt out 3 times this year and have had steering issues each time, where the rudder will not return to center once I complete a turn. When I noticed it the first time, i brought the boat in and inspected the rudder linkage, and sure enough, the ball stud and link at the servo end of the linkage were 'sticky' and didn't move smoothly. Ah hah!!! I thought I found my issue, so I replaced the ball stud and ball cup with some parts from the RC car parts collection. Now it works smooth as silk with no free-play or slop. I thought I had the problem fixed and went back to the pond....but the problem persists!:doh:

At this point I figured the servo had given up. No big deal, a ball bearing Futaba servo would be a nice upgrade anyway. So I go to the LHS and buy a new servo, install it, and went to the pond. I figured my troubles were over...no sir! The boat still behaves EXACTLY like it did the first time out this season.:doh:

The part that sucks is that I CANNOT recreate the problem on the bench, even while firmly holding the rudder to put a load on the servo. So last night I picked up a new Tactic receiver, believing that the receiver is not supplying adequate voltage to the servo to do its job properly. Hopefully this fixes the issue (haven't had time to install it yet). I will let you all know if this is the issue or not. If the new Rx doesn't fix the problem, I want to convert my rock crawler from 27Mhz to 2.4 Ghz anyway.

If this fails to fix the problem, whats the next step? ESC? I hope not:doh:

Jeff

tlandauer
05-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Your transmitter may be defective, get a new Tactic tx,see what happens...

tlandauer
05-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Another possible cause: the BEC in your ESC is not functioning properly. Use an external receiver pack. Use a tool to pull the red wire out of the ESC wire black plug, connect the receiver pack to the "batt" terminal on your receiver.

fox88gt
05-27-2014, 09:15 AM
It ended up being the transmitter causing the problems. First time for everything I guess, been in the RC hobby for 15 years or so and I've never had a transmitter go bad.

Tom899
07-03-2014, 05:53 AM
It ended up being the transmitter causing the problems. First time for everything I guess, been in the RC hobby for 15 years or so and I've never had a transmitter go bad.

Hi Jeff, It sounds like I currently have the same problem with my Revolt 30 as you. I ordered a new Tactic TSX57 steering servo but reading your fix I have my doubts if that is going to fix it, it's due to arrive from Tower this Saturday.

If the servo does not fix it I will order a new transmitter. Did you stick with the same kind? Should I order a different one, maybe better? What will work, any of them?

Thanks,
Tom

fox88gt
07-03-2014, 08:39 AM
I was fortunate to have another Tactic transmitter that came with my Lucas Oil catamaran, so now I just have one transmitter for the two boats. I don't know if the recievers are compatible with another radio system. I should try linking my Futaba FHSS transmitter to it and see what happens. I'd like to see Tactic come out with a fancier transmitter with model memory, etc...

Jeff

Fluid
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
My one and only Tactic transmitter failed after six months - no abuse either. The receivers are not compatible with Futaba 2.4 protocols.

Tom899
07-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks, It seems as though a matched receiver always come with the radios. I'll probably order a Futaba, either a 3PL FHSS or 3PMX FASST. What is unclear to me though is if it's ok to leave the antenna wire from a Futaba receiver in the hull? Our Revolt's with the Tactic receiver don't use an antenna lead.
If I go Futaba I need to figure out if the FASST technology is worth about $60 over FHSS?

Fluid
07-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Most of my race boats (Spektrum or Futaba) have an external antenna. Some club members keep their antennas inside with success, others have range problems without an external antenna. A 6" antenna tube is not very obtrusive and guarantees good performance. Should be a no-brainier.

Tom899
07-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Most of my race boats (Spektrum or Futaba) have an external antenna. Some club members keep their antennas inside with success, others have range problems without an external antenna. A 6" antenna tube is not very obtrusive and guarantees good performance. Should be a no-brainier.

I will have no problem adding a antenna tube if needed to my Revolt 30. Any ideas which tube and location?

Fluid
07-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I use cut-down R/C car antenna tubes. I glue a piece of 1/4" ply under the deck near the receiver. I drill a 1/8" hole through the deck and ply in a place where it will not interfere with the hatch tape. Then glue a 1" piece of 1/8" brass tubing in the hole with about 1/2" sticking up above the deck. Slide a 3/4" piece if fuel tubing over the antenna tube then slide that over the brass tube for a waterproof seal. With the receiver antenna slide up inside it works well. That's what I do, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Tom899
07-03-2014, 06:14 PM
I use cut-down R/C car antenna tubes. I glue a piece of 1/4" ply under the deck near the receiver. I drill a 1/8" hole through the deck and ply in a place where it will not interfere with the hatch tape. Then glue a 1" piece of 1/8" brass tubing in the hole with about 1/2" sticking up above the deck. Slide a 3/4" piece if fuel tubing over the antenna tube then slide that over the brass tube for a waterproof seal. With the receiver antenna slide up inside it works well. That's what I do, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Great idea!
Thanks

Tom899
07-06-2014, 08:03 PM
As it turns out I had to order a new radio/receiver. I got a Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System and Tactic TSX57 Digital Ultra-Torque MG Steering Servo(which I really didn't need but decided to keep it). I ordered the Radio from Tower Hobbies early Friday morning and got it Saturday USPS mail, I couldn't believe it!
It all works great and back on the water!