PDA

View Full Version : TFL Outrage

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 11:59 AM
She's a bigg'n.

All I need is some double sided sticky tape and it's good to go.......not so much.
Look how much room is in there! That's 10s2p and a 2217 laying in there. They look tiny. Not sure about that cell placement. Kind of a wiring mess that way.

Darin Jordan
05-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Terry, is that the supplied TFL hardware??

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes sir. That looks small on there too. It's 1/4" strut though.

For some reason they like to use a solid stub with a square drive. I went to a Hughey flex with a step shaft.

I think this might be the biggest boat I've put together. I didn't really realize how big it was until I started drilling holes last night. I did an AM Team Believer years ago but this is even bigger. Needs a little structure.

longballlumber
05-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Do you sleep?

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Do you sleep?

Not much. I can sleep when I'm dead.........hopefully that will be AFTER the nats.

I'm going to test Saturday. haha Not!

kfxguy
05-22-2014, 02:04 PM
That thing is huge! Plenty of working room that's for sure

rickwess
05-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Not much. I can sleep when I'm dead.........
Plenty of room to be buried in that hull :w00t:

Darin Jordan
05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
I don't know WHY you are doing a single... that thing is SCREAMING for a pair of 1530's or 2228's or something cool like that....

kfxguy
05-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Some people prefer the simplicity of a single.

kfxguy
05-22-2014, 02:19 PM
What does it look like with the hatch on?

Darin Jordan
05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Some people prefer the simplicity of a single.

All that heavy rotating mass up that high in the hull doesn't help handling...

But, I do agree that it's much simpler and more practical in most cases to do a single, especially for those who don't understand or do their own props. Somethings hard to find what you really want in a RH turn...

kfxguy
05-22-2014, 02:36 PM
All that heavy rotating mass up that high in the hull doesn't help handling...

But, I do agree that it's much simpler and more practical in most cases to do a single, especially for those who don't understand or do their own props. Somethings hard to find what you really want in a RH turn...

You have a point about rotating mass. I know how to do my own props but I don't enjoy doing them. Very boring, messy and time consuming

Darin Jordan
05-22-2014, 02:48 PM
I know how to do my own props but I don't enjoy doing them. Very boring, messy and time consuming

AMEN to that, my friend!

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 03:17 PM
This boat is so big it wont give 2 craps about rotating mass up high. I'm going single because I already had the motor. It handles okay it will get run in offshore.

I'll get a shot of it with the hatch tonight.

I should put a lawn chair in there. Is there a rule that says I have to drive from shore?

Doby
05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
http://www.tflhobby.com/product/gas_racing_boats/007/outrage.html

http://www.tflhobby.com/product/gas_racing_boats/007/Watch%20the%20TV%20ads.html

:w00t:

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 10:22 PM
I was going to say ...slow and steady but ain't nobody got time for dat.

Getting closer. 115744115745

Rocstar
05-22-2014, 10:28 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Hey Joel, what percentages are you guys running your CG on the bigger cats? I start about 33% on a typical cat. Does it usually hold true even as the cats get big.........er?

Rocstar
05-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Hey Joel, what percentages are you guys running your CG on the bigger cats? I start about 33% on a typical cat. Does it usually hold true even as the cats get big.........er?
Yeah, give or take. For the speeds you'll be running, maybe closer to 30% or less.... My 90+mph Fantasm is over 40% :wink:

T.S.Davis
05-23-2014, 07:37 AM
That makes sense. I think with the batteries right to the trans I'm at 30% with the motor in it's current location. I would think I'll need to pack some air. I'll shoot for mid to high 60's and see how it measures up against the other heat racers. Not looking to set the water on fire with this just yet. I'll be lucky to get it tested before the nats. It's not a SAW friendly design IMO. Should be great in rough water. Lots of freeboard.

I think I'll add some trays for the batteries. Adds a little structure and gives me an anchor point for some straps. If I have CG issues I'll move one set of batteries to the tub. Then I could go to 20%

It's sure cool to look at. My wife hates the graphics. Figures I guess.

Darin Jordan
05-23-2014, 09:46 AM
My wife hates the graphics.

I hate them too... they should be in color, and it should be a REDHEAD! :w00t:

T.S.Davis
05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
It's not like I was there when somebody posed for it. Sheesh.

For any interested. That little servo............487oz of torque at 7.4 volts. That should turn it.

Doby
05-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I thought Terry posed for it!

Darin Jordan
05-23-2014, 10:41 AM
It's not like I was there when somebody posed for it. Sheesh.

As the US face of TFL, I think it's up to Terry to make sure the graphics meet the appropriate USA standards for big cats... Start with a clean understanding of the hotness scale (1 to REDHEAD!) and get on it! :bounce:

T.S.Davis
05-23-2014, 10:46 AM
I thought Terry posed for it!

It's not shaped like a potato.

Bring your heels John. We'll see if we can duplicate it at the NATS boat camping jamboree.

T.S.Davis
05-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Well......it's completely done now. Add water and pull trigger. First run Saturday.

T.S.Davis
06-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Well......this thing is an absolute beast. Really really impressive going straight. Not sure I'll ever get it to turn though. Supplied rudder is horribly inadequate. Going to move some stuff around and put a bigger rudder on it.

Rocstar
06-01-2014, 08:31 PM
What, no video Terry? It's like it didn't happen. :hornets_nest:

Did she air out well?

bozo586
06-01-2014, 08:34 PM
anybody know if tom got his missing batteries?

T.S.Davis
06-01-2014, 08:51 PM
There is some video that Todd took but the thing was so squirllllleyyyy I hate to post it. At one point I spun so hard the it was traveling backward on plane with the tips down and the tail about 3 feet above the water. Nearly blew it off the water going backward. Don't know if he caught that stunt. It was one of those "awe! dew it ag'n" moments.

asars85
06-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Did you buy the outrage as a bare hull only? how much was it?

T.S.Davis
06-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure what the street value is on these.

Mine came un-assembled with strut, rudder, and a 1/4" square drive. I don't care for square drive setups. Their okay on sport boats but when you're racing and want to service the drive on the fly it's a bit clunky. I'm pretty sure the gas guys do it with no issue though. May be just a personal thing.

I have to be honest with you guys. I really like this boat. It's beautiful on the water. I was pretty shocked at the speed. However, for me, it may be destined to be a sport boat. It's made to go relatively straight. A bit bulky for SAW's I think. It's not a good heat racer in it's current form. Which is my primary focus. I haven't figured out yet the mods to make it happy in the turns. I will. Just haven't messed with it yet and I'm buried in a nats at the moment.

If you want to look really cool and go pretty fast in a straight line...........dump 10s in one of these. If you want to do laps consider something else........at the moment.

TFL was hesitant to send me one knowing my intentions.

ron1950
06-17-2014, 10:28 PM
terry does that skeg on the bottom of the strut make it fight the turns or was I seeing things that aren't there?

T.S.Davis
06-18-2014, 09:16 AM
One of the things I tried was trimming the skeg down a bit. I was thinking let it slide more.

There are a couple of problems trying to turn. At this point just theory but how it feels in your hands at speed.

The ride pads are super narrow. So it tends to settle into the water if you slow down. Then the dihedral angle of the hull that isn't the ride pad is quite steep. Picture pad then steep angle up to the chine.

So if you stay in the throttle through the turn to stay on top of the water it will slide slide slide trip then roll.

If you slow a tick like you would with an OPC it will turn on about a 5ft radius and swap ends on you. At one point I was traveling backwards at 60 with the rear end 3' off the water.

With the steep dihedral I would think it would be a strong rough water boat. Then chill out to get through the turn.