PDA

View Full Version : Wed Practice 5/21/14

Fish N Chicks
05-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Long time listener, first time caller.

Just wondering if you guys were going to have the pond available for practice today. I lurked the pits at the first club races with my chocolate lab and was hooked instantly. Finally got my boat ready for the water. I saved some sheckles and went with a Lucas Oil cat and made a few minor mods.

Todd Fleury
05-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Glad to see you are going to come out and have some fun! Have you joined NAMBA?

T.S.Davis
05-21-2014, 10:44 AM
HA! Another victim!.......er......I mean........racer.

Gotta join NAMBA to play on the Shelby puddle.

We don't usually practice the Wed after a race. I know of no plans to open it up today.

Saturday though for sure. Weather providing of course. I always post back here if we wont be out.

Saturday we should be out though.

tjcast
05-21-2014, 11:08 AM
I will be there Saturday. No plans for today as it is the Wednesday after a race. BTW nice paint!

Todd Fleury
05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
I can't wait for Saturday. Finally finished my 1/8 scale and just started my trailer!

Fish N Chicks
05-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks tjcast. It's an experiment. we'll see how it holds up.

I paid for my NAMBA membership but haven't received a number yet. I have a screen grab of my receipt tho.

I'll probably try Stoney after work. I gotta maiden this thing.

Todd Fleury
05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Get that thing out there on Saturday. See what we can do to make that thing go.

Fish N Chicks
05-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Saturday will be tough but i'm trying for that too. Will definitely need some help trimming her out.

Grimracer
05-22-2014, 09:58 AM
I see you made some kind of "Screw on hatch".. remember to bring radio box tape with you.. for sure you are going to want it.

Keep RACING!

Grim

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Great paint scheme.

Another observation. That second water pick up that is feeding the motor wont pick up any water once you are at speed. Nothing but air coming off the tunnel once you are on plane. Potential for motor baking.

Fish N Chicks
05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Sound advice guys. I do appreciate the input and the input is why I joined the forum. I did get a chance to run it yesterday at Addison Oaks. I can see why you guys do this. It was awesome in the sun with the lake to myself. Got two runs in and have some more nuances to work out. Which brings me to the suggestions from grim and terry.

Grim: I know I know, lids get taped down. But sorry brother. I have to work out a way to prevent the tad bit of water making it passed the screw down method WITHOUT taping the outside. It's an aesthetic thing. The tape will look like crap on the flat black and if I don't like what I'm running what's the point. I have an idea that I think will work and should have it sorted by Saturday to actually waterproof the motor bay.

TD: funny you mention the water pickup. I'm not sure what's going on yet but the irony is that the second pickup worked beautifully sending spent water out the side of the hull about 2' out at speed, while I was getting nothing out of the stock rudder pickup to the esc. That dumps out the back in the stock position but I noticed nothing coming out as it came by but it was shooting out the side for the motor no problem at the same time. I can blow through the tubes and it's not blocked so I have no idea what's up. Thankfully it's not dumping into the hull. I checked that right away. Any ideas?

Quick question for whoever, as I totally hijack my own thread (that's allowed, right???), do these cats normally take a bit to get on plane? I feel like I get cavitation cavitation cavitation then WHOOSH off like a bat out of Haiti. Just wondering if that's normal.

Can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to help a greenhorn. Looking forward to joining you on the pond soon.

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 01:30 PM
as I totally hijack my own thread (that's allowed, right???)

Totally! Especially in our club forum. The only place you'll get grief is in the "for sale" forum. If a guy is selling a boat and you say "I've seen it run. Quality build. You wont be sorry." then Doug Smock the moderator gets emails from people whose lives depend on that for sale forum and want an intervention. You know, cuz the cure for cancer is obviously going come from the for sale forum. It's THE most important thing on the web. :sarcasm1::blink::olleyes: So poor Doug tries to split the difference to keep everyone happy. But over here.......go fer' it. Hijack away. Hijack my threads anytime. I think of the forum as guys sitting around shooting the FE poop.

Not sure what the deal is with your water pickup. That is odd. We can check it out Saturday. Did you check the opening on the rudder itself? Sometimes those are wonky from the factory.

My hydros take off like you described but not usually my cat. But I run the Mystic. You might not have the strut quite right. There are usually some quick kitties at the pond on Saturdays you can look at for reference.

I think we've all tried the no tape thing at one point or another. Tape just don't feel right.....at first. If you really want to preserve the "look" you might consider building a sub hatch that you would tape down to the flange that your current lid sits on. Scale boat get done that way frequently.

I think you met Fred at that first race. Fred is District 2 director. If need be he can check on your application. As long as it's there it wont matter if you have the actual card in hand for Saturday. Plus the guy that actually issues the memberships at NAMBA is staying with me at the NATS in Leonard next month. I can always just call him.

You ran at Addison Oaks? That's pretty darned close to the Elks Lodge where the nats will be.

See.....jacked!

Fish N Chicks
05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Haha! Doesn't take much to jack a thread I know. Good advice on the sub lid. I will look into that. Prop strut adjustment sounds like where to start on the shotty launch.

Not sure what's up with the NAMBA number. I just checked email and nothing yet. Not sure how long it usually takes.

Addison was awesome. Boat rentals were closed so I was right off the launch. Worked out great. One of my favortite parks.

Having NEVER run a race even at club level I'm reluctant to try the Nats as my first time. I also can't get that week off work. But I'll be there to check things out on the weekend. Can people run individual days or must run them all?

T.S.Davis
05-22-2014, 10:32 PM
You can run a single day.

Send me an email with your full name and I'll check for ya.

H2o-racing@comcast.net

Todd Fleury
05-23-2014, 08:52 AM
You will be able to see my scale boat on Saturday for a reference of sub-hatch. The adjustments in the strut are usually very minor. Start with the strut at stock angle, and move 1/16" up or down accordingly. Also, you might want to try an m545 prop. I know that is what two guys are running, and they are killing it!

T.S.Davis
05-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Not sure what's up with the NAMBA number. I just checked email and nothing yet. Not sure how long it usually takes.

I sent a note to Al. If anything went weird he'll tell us.

Fish N Chicks
05-23-2014, 11:15 AM
You will be able to see my scale boat on Saturday for a reference of sub-hatch. The adjustments in the strut are usually very minor. Start with the strut at stock angle, and move 1/16" up or down accordingly. Also, you might want to try an m545 prop. I know that is what two guys are running, and they are killing it!

Sweet! look forward to seeing that. I have the Grim Racer 42/55 prop on it now. Who makes the m545?

Fish N Chicks
05-23-2014, 11:18 AM
I sent a note to Al. If anything went weird he'll tell us.

Thanks Terry! I've got the proof I've paid so at least I can run if I don't get correspondence by tomorrow.

Speaking of... Someone start a Saturday practice thread already. I gotta figure out when I can come through.

jstolz
05-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Sweet! look forward to seeing that. I have the Grim Racer 42/55 prop on it now. Who makes the m545?

Octura makes the m545. You can get it at offshore electrics.