PDA

View Full Version : Finally decided on batteries

4THLAKERC
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
After alot of research and you tube vids i went with a set of smc race spec 2s 80c 6000mah with deans for my motley crew
I also got a s/b 42x55 prop from dosbota
so im really looking forward to see how she runs ill post vid of first run
Im hopen for high 40s low 50s

photohoward1
05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Deans are a bad idea. Go with 5.5mm or 6 mm connectors.

4THLAKERC
05-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Im hearing so mant differnt opinions on this
If such a bad thing why did they come on boat?

fox88gt
05-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I often read that Deans aren't up to the task for a boat...but I use them on my Revolt and my Lucas Oil (as equipped from the factory). I don't trust myself with the chance of reversing polarity with bullet connectors so I stick with deans (I'm only human and I wrecked a friends ESC by accidently touching the wrong wires together with the battery leads flopping around...I don't wanna make that mistake again).

After I run, I measure temps of everything (motor, batts, esc, stuffing tube, etc) and I've never seen the temperature at the deans connectors more than 3 degrees above ambient air temperature. Granted, I'm running stock motor and ESC on 4s (with an octura X642 on the revolt and a CNC 43x60 on the Lucas).

If there is any bottleneck in the stock system, its the 18 AWG wire going to the motor and the 4mm bullets there.

Grimracer
05-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I would not put them in the "bad idea" category.. I would put them in the "best for the market application at the time. What we need for the new guys is a system that is easy to use. As long as they use the boat within reason (we cannot control everybody’s usage) they will be just fine.. Later they can come on to the forums to learn more about what updates they can make. Like 5.5s.

Grim

4THLAKERC
05-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Im just running stock except for prop and im not racing it im just using it for fun for now.The guy at smc sent me a vid with deans set up and it performed fine and he also said kinda same thing as long as not running some sick setup they work fine.I will be making the maden
voyage in next 2 to 3 weeks cant wait ive wathched pretty much every vid on you tube with this boat.Ill post vid.In your opinion am i in ball park for 40+ with my set up?

rayzerdesigns
05-08-2014, 09:55 PM
ive been running the ec5 connectors..run them in p limited..they have held up well through race conditions with 2030kv motor and 445 prop

JimClark
05-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Chances are they were really a Chinese Knockoff of Deans connectors. Even so I agree there are much better choices out there

kfxguy
05-08-2014, 11:00 PM
I have moved away from deans myself. They are a good connector.....just not in a boat (well much smaller boats can use them) if you don't believe us, run the boat hard for a few minutes and then feel the connectors. I'll bet you that they will be fairly warm or even hot. They will eventually melt. When that happens and if it grounds the lipo...your going to have a problem on your hands. I switched over to ec5 connectors, they are better than deans for sure but now I run castle 6.5mm bullets in the green housings. They don't get warm at all. The Ec5 got a little warm. You can/will puff your lipos because of inadequate connectors. You were warned :)

fox88gt
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I run my boats HARD (why wouldn't you run them hard?) and the factory deans connectors have never gotten even remotely warm. Granted, I'm running stock 1800kv motors, but with larger-than-stock props. So much depends on setup. If the boat is a water-plowing hog, any connector will get warm.

To me, there is a greater risk of reverse polarity with bullet connectors and I'm not willing to take that chance if the factory connectors are doing the job. I race RC road course cars in winter and I've seen it happen too many times at the track.

Of course, a switch to a hotter motor would require changing connectors.

ray schrauwen
05-09-2014, 10:57 AM
You can't reverse polarity on 5.5's if you do it right with Red Hot Female on Batteries and opposite on esc's and chargers.

The female is positive and the male is negative, hence the term Red Hot Female. When I heat shrink my female I put about 6 layers on it and as I add layers I overhang the shrink so that the only way they will short out is if you purposely plugged them in end to end. I don't even cover my male connectors anymore because of the short wires and impossibility of them coming into contact with each other.

Red hot female is like a race standard as well. Never, ever use a pair of Males or females for both positive and negative, thats trouble!!

Grimracer
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Jim,

They ARE Deans..

Grim

kfxguy
05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
with the green castles i use, its impossible to plug in wrong

4THLAKERC
05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Got batteries but now have to sift through the sea of chargers

TheShaughnessy
05-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Get something with more then 50 watts. Hyperion or thunder power are gonna be the higher end chargers.

4THLAKERC
06-09-2014, 03:33 PM
after math of maiden voyagehttp://youtu.be/8d1vzLZ24Ig