PDA

View Full Version : Charge Rate

jfrancisco892
04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I always charge my batteries at 1c but I know a lot of people charge faster than that. Post up what the max charge rate you guys charge at, just curious.

longballlumber
04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Your battery/manufacturer should dictate what charge rate the battery is capable of taking.

Later,
Mike

SloHD
04-18-2014, 12:33 PM
2c is just fine IMO.

longballlumber
04-18-2014, 01:03 PM
2c is just fine IMO.

Again, your battery manufacturer will tell you what is acceptable for the battery. I can tell you that GrimRacer Lipos are only rated at a 1C charge rate. So in that particular case 2C is not "fine".

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/accessories/lipo-packs.html

Later,
Mike

SloHD
04-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Nobody said I had grim racer batteries... You might, but not everyone has the same brand. I am well aware manufacture suggestions. I would imagine the op has lipos capable of higher than 1c charge rates, hence the reason he is asking.

capnswanny
04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
And if he does have Grim Racer batteries, you just told him he could charge them at a rate higher than rated. Be careful what you recommend, and just as careful the advice you take.

Mike's advice is spot on...IMO
Corey

Nobody said I had grim racer batteries... You might, but not everyone has the same brand. I am well aware manufacture suggestions. I would imagine the op has lipos capable of higher than 1c charge rates, hence the reason he is asking.

SloHD
04-18-2014, 04:08 PM
No I did not tell him that. You should actually read the OP. It asks a broad question. I gave a broad answer. Why all the hostility towards my post? Geez... My advice is valid, answering such a broad question. I'm sorry I didn't sugar coat it for him like an expert would do.

jfrancisco892
04-18-2014, 05:11 PM
My batteries are capable of being charged up to 5c. That is what the label says at least. I was just asking the question to see what people charge at. I'm sure it's harder on the cells the faster you charge them, I will probably continue to charge at 1c just curious what everyone else does.

Chilli
04-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Depends on the batteries for me. Most of my 5000 and larger packs get charged at 1C. Smaller receiver packs and 2200-3300 mah airplane packs charge at 2c. I usually don't have a need to go over 2C. The big factor for me isn't the batteries since all my packs can be charged at 3-5C. It's about not pushing the charger to maximum wattage output. Just like on my boats, I try not to push the electrics too hard which keeps things running cool.... and so far has given me five years of trouble free service.

don ferrette
04-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I charge my hi discharge packs at 1.5C MAX. Just keep in mind that regardless the brand and discharge rating, the harder you charge them (as in higher C rate) the more life you take out of them in the long run. :Peace_Sign:

boredom.is.me
04-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I charge at 2C, but my charger maxes out at 7A so anything above 3500mAh gets just that.

darryl whitman
04-28-2014, 08:37 PM
hi guys , this post is what do an it works well for me ,
1- I charge lipos at 1c , even if the label says 5c charge rate, why, because the manufacture would like you to be hard on your batts, shorten the life
so you buy more ,
2- I only fully charge my batts the night before, or the day of running my boat or planes, why, because its hard on lipos to sit around with a full charge in them.
3- when I'm not going to use my batts , for some time , I will charge them up , in storage mode,
these are my ways I treat my batts, an I've had real good long life on my batteries

jfrancisco892
04-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the input. Same as I do.

photohoward1
04-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Why would it be hard on them to leave a charge in them?

Brushless55
04-29-2014, 11:36 PM
1- I charge lipos at 1c , even if the label says 5c charge rate, why, because the manufacture would like you to be hard on your batts, shorten the life
so you buy more ,
2- I only fully charge my batts the night before, or the day of running my boat or planes, why, because its hard on lipos to sit around with a full charge in them.
3- when I'm not going to use my batts , for some time , I will charge them up , in storage mode,
these are my ways I treat my batts, an I've had real good long life on my batteries

uhhh?
no documented proof of shortened life by charging at 5c when a pack says you can charge at 5c

reminds me of a bogus chart someone put up at rcgroups about this
heck even some ThunderPower lipos have a charge rate of 12C !
many users want a fast charging lipo when they go fly or run boats
big debate at rcgroups on just that, fast charging is the way to go some say... and they live by that, and I know of a few who charge at 5C and greater all the time without any loss of power or performance :biggrin:

Why would it be hard on them to leave a charge in them?

it's ok to leave packs fully charge for about 2-3 weeks, any longer and they should be stored half charged
something with the chemistry they don't like be left fully charged for a long time, they will loose capacity and power over time

darryl whitman
05-01-2014, 07:02 PM
really, I'm glad u feel that way, U must be a battery salesmen ?

Brushless55
05-01-2014, 07:54 PM
12C charge rate listed right here bro
http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Products/5000-mAh_6/TP5000-4SPF70
60A charge rate on a single 5000mah 4s pack
not feelings but specs :wink:
I have yet to buy a charger that can actually do this yet :w00t:

Doug Smock
05-01-2014, 09:33 PM
it's ok to leave packs fully charge for about 2-3 weeks

Todd please show us where a battery manufacturer says this^^^.

This from Hyperion.
Lithium Care
To maximize your investment in Lithium Battery packs, do the following:
* ALWAYS Store your packs at 60% of capacity. After a day of flying, use STORE Mode to achieve this. It is especially harmful to store lithium packs fully charged, and should be avoided for more that a day or two at most.
* AVOID discharging cells beyond 90% of capacity (80% is even better). NEVER fully discharge lithium packs.
* STORE your packs in a cool, relatively dry location.
This from Thunder Power
2. If storing longer than one week; batteries must be stored at 3.8V/cell to 3.9V/cell (approximately 50% charged). This is easily accomplished using Thunder Power charger on storage or 50% mode.

darryl whitman
05-01-2014, 10:42 PM
like I said, people will believe anything a manufacture will print just to sale goods.
you mite want to check out what the USAF says about lipos they uses for the drones,

Brushless55
05-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Todd please show us where a battery manufacturer says this^^^.

Doug this came from LNE who makes Giant Power and Dinogy packs
I have an email from them and not from someones site, saying 2-3 weeks max for a fully charged pack, after that they need to be placed in storage charge
not my words but there's
but....
all my packs are put in storage charge right after race day for best life of the packs
my flight packs are not stored fully charged for more than 48hrs at home...

Brushless55
05-02-2014, 12:55 AM
so you buy more ,

uhhh?
no documented proof of shortened life by charging at 5c when a pack says you can charge at 5c

reminds me of a bogus chart someone put up at rcgroups about this
heck even some ThunderPower lipos have a charge rate of 12C !
many users want a fast charging lipo when they go fly or run boats
big debate at rcgroups on just that, fast charging is the way to go some say... and they live by that, and I know of a few who charge at 5C and greater all the time without any loss of power or performance :biggrin:

like I said, people will believe anything a manufacture will print just to sale goods.
you mite want to check out what the USAF says about lipos they uses for the drones,

again no proof manufactures are telling customers to charge their lipos at higher C ratings in hopes their customers will kill their packs in order to sell more???
sounds like that would be a fire waiting to happen in so many homes around the world?

Doug Smock
05-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Doug this came from LNE who makes Giant Power and Dinogy packs
I have an email from them and not from someones site, saying 2-3 weeks max for a fully charged pack, after that they need to be placed in storage charge
not my words but there's

Ah but these are your words.

it's ok to leave packs fully charge for about 2-3 weeks,

You have to be careful while painting with such a broad brush, as noted above.:wink:

Thank you sir,

Brushless55
05-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Ah but these are your words.

You have to be careful while painting with such a broad brush, as noted above.:wink:

Thank you sir,

uh broad brush..... 2-3 weeks or was that 2-3 weeks :blink:

Doug I want to personally invite you to the High Altitude Shootout that my friend and I are putting on
you can run one of my freshly charge erh uh make that my 3 week charged lipo and see how she does :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/MileHighModelers/posts/717226264982870
This is our club
https://www.facebook.com/MileHighModelers

and our facebook page we over see
https://www.facebook.com/groups/690269474349798/

We belong to Namba20 and really want to take D20 higher and bring the family fun factor for all ages!

kfxguy
05-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Man I'm scared. Scared to charge over 1c. I'd rather wait than be sorry. That's how I roll. It's not worth it to me in my opinion. All my Batts balance perfectly.

Doug Smock
05-02-2014, 10:52 PM
but....
all my packs are put in storage charge right after race day for best life of the packs
my flight packs are not stored fully charged for more than 48hrs at home...

Doug I want to personally invite you to the High Altitude Shootout that my friend and I are putting on
you can run one of my freshly charge erh uh make that my 3 week charged lipo and see how she does :lol:

Which is it Todd??? :blink:

Never mind, we have a clear understanding now. lol :wink:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Driving on now.:tiphat:

kfxguy
05-02-2014, 11:05 PM
I always put my packs in storage mode immediately after use. Just funny about it I guess.

Brushless55
05-03-2014, 01:11 AM
uh broad brush..... 2-3 weeks or was that 2-3 weeks :blink:

https://www.facebook.com/MileHighModelers/posts/717226264982870
This is our club
https://www.facebook.com/MileHighModelers

and our facebook page we over see
https://www.facebook.com/groups/690269474349798/

We belong to Namba20 and really want to take D20 higher and bring the family fun factor for all ages!

Which is it Todd??? :blink:

Never mind, we have a clear understanding now. lol

Thanks for clearing that up.

Driving on now.:tiphat:

let me try this again.... :blink:
I will charge up a few packs 3 weeks before the High Altitude Shootout and leave them charge up just for you to try out and see they don't melt down during a 6 lap heat :moon:

Brushless55
05-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Man I'm scared. Scared to charge over 1c. I'd rather wait than be sorry. That's how I roll. It's not worth it to me in my opinion. All my Batts balance perfectly.

never a bad thing to charge at 1C

I always put my packs in storage mode immediately after use. Just funny about it I guess.

usually Sunday after I get home from a race I start putting my packs into storage charge...
but some sit for several days depending on how busy I get around the house and at work

Doug Smock
05-03-2014, 09:54 AM
:blink:
Do some reading on capacity loss fellas.
I'm going to go practice peeing up a rope. :laugh:

Later...........

G-UNIT
05-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't mean to bud in here but I always get confuzed on this 1c thing, I use turnigy 5000 2s1p mah and charge tham at 4-5 amps, is takes about an hour.
can someone go over 1c = what ect...

Doug Smock
05-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Hey Robert,
Follow the manufactures instructions for the best results.
This is from HK on the Turnigy 5000 30c 2s packs.

Capacity(mAh) 5000
Config(s) 2
Discharge(c) 30
Weight(g) 301
Max Charge Rate (C) 2
Length-A(mm) 143
Height-B(mm) 50
Width-C(mm) 19

G-UNIT
05-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Yes but c2 is equal to what amp should I charge at 1 amp, 4 amp, 5amp ect.

rickwess
05-03-2014, 12:13 PM

"C" = the capacity of the battery. So for a 4400mah battery, the 1C charge rate is 4400ma.

Brushless55
05-03-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't mean to bud in here but I always get confuzed on this 1c thing, I use turnigy 5000 2s1p mah and charge tham at 4-5 amps, is takes about an hour.
can someone go over 1c = what ect...

G-UNIT I got ya buddy...
2C would = 10amps
5000mah pack charged at a 1C rating is 5amps
6000mah pack charged at a 1C rating is 6amps
7500mah pack charged at a 1C rating is 7.5amps
etc :biggrin:

runzwithsizorz
05-03-2014, 12:21 PM

As a rule of thumb, I usually charge at 1 amp less then what the specs say I can get away with, especially for cheaper batteries. I use the 2s Turnigy nanotech 5000mah 45c, and sometimes will charge at the full 5 amps. My Hyperion charger IF left on auto would charge your batteries at 5amps but the last 15, or 20 minutes it throttles back to less than an 1amp, does your charger do this? Most everyone will tell you that slower is better.

Brushless55
05-03-2014, 12:29 PM
As a rule of thumb, I usually charge at 1 amp less then what the specs say I can get away with, especially for cheaper batteries. I use the 2s Turnigy nanotech 5000mah 45c, and sometimes will charge at the full 5 amps. My Hyperion charger IF left on auto would charge your batteries at 5amps but the last 15, or 20 minutes it throttles back to less than an 1amp, does your charger do this? Most everyone will tell you that slower is better.

several of the Thunder Power plane guys love and preach on charging at 10-12C on those packs because they like to sell the only need one or two packs to fly all day motto...
but I prefer 1-3C depending on what packs I am charging

kingwrench
07-19-2014, 09:17 PM
I have found that when I use my good charger with my 24v power supply I charge @ 5c. Battery s stay ccool and nice clean quick charge. IMO buy a great charger,great battery's,and a kick ass power supply. Buy the best and only cry once. Charge in 1\4 the time it takes others. I charge 6 (6s) battery's at the same time and it takes 25 to 35 min :-)

lonewolf
07-20-2014, 10:47 AM
this is for G UNIT in short 1 c equals the mah of cell in your case 5000 = 5amps or one c 2c= 10 amps.... I recently purchased a bunch of lipos and have been doing alot of reading on break in and such of lipos many recommend a easy break in of less than or equal to one c for 3-5 cycles...then a few easy runs with easy charges....after that charge as you want....or as recomended....for my 3s cells I am cycling at 1c just down to 30% with full charges.... Am I correct in this sure hope so...I have also called apon a fellow racer here who advises the same.... He must be doing something right cuz he has quite a few records....I hope this helps someone......

I was hoping to find a sticky about lipos care and chargeing/discharging..... After a night of reading I am finding there are almost to many variables to actually set "rules" between brands and manufacturer recomendations it seems advice is all over the spectrum.... ???? I dont have the greatest of anything so I just take it easy on my euqipment...good luck to all!!

Brushless55
07-20-2014, 11:36 PM
I have found that when I use my good charger with my 24v power supply I charge @ 5c. Battery s stay ccool and nice clean quick charge. IMO buy a great charger,great battery's,and a kick ass power supply. Buy the best and only cry once. Charge in 1\4 the time it takes others. I charge 6 (6s) battery's at the same time and it takes 25 to 35 min :-)

That is something I need is a more powerful charger

mappo
07-21-2014, 12:05 PM
I have been charging my 5000 mah lipos at 8 amps 1.6c
for a very long time even when the manufactures recommend 5c
For storing my lipos I use 50-60% and never more than a few days fully charged, I had 3 packs puffed after a few days at 95% charged

785boats
07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Lone wolf.
There is a wealth of information at the 'Battery University'. If you read this page AND all the topics in the menu down the left side of the page, you will learn a lot about batteries.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Back to school with you.
There will be a written exam at the end of the week.:biggrin: