PDA

View Full Version : Another Poor MHZ, 114 this time

Tbauer
04-09-2014, 05:59 AM
This is my first MHZ and I must say I am not impressed. I certainly would not trust this hull if it were not for Keith doing a fantastic inlay. I can't believe that anyone thinks this is acceptable at any price. I paid a lot of money for this hull so I know it wasn't some discounted version. However, if it was,114102114103114104 this is totally ridiculous at any price. I read the story about the other MHZ, they should be embarrassed to put this crap out. I didn't even find these pits until I started sanding the thing.

Am I wrong ?

:frusty: :bash: :flame42: :flashfire: :scared:

flraptor07
04-09-2014, 12:10 PM
I had a couple of those on my Cheetah but not near as bad as they are on your MHZ. I would expect it on the Cheetah (TFL) hull it's a quarter of the price of the MHZ but if I paid MHZ prices it better be damn near flawless! I don't think you're out of line at all, I'd be calling MHZ. Or get with Keith and see if he can get anything done, as many MHZ hulls as he buys he may have a little pull at MHZ.

Doby
04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
What a pile of crap...my bare TFL hulls were perfect compared to this.

flraptor07
04-09-2014, 01:51 PM
What a pile of crap...my bare TFL hulls were perfect compared to this.

You're right Doby, for the money TFL stuff is hard to beat. I've been very happy with everything I ever got from them........

Tbauer
04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Glad you all agree, very discouraging...... I really am afraid to start sanding the rest, don't know what else I will find!!1

keithbradley
04-09-2014, 03:56 PM
MHZ hulls have always had air pockets in the gel, but they are a lot stronger hull and better hull design than TFL. This last run of hulls had a lot of air pockets in the side, while in the past they have been in the tunnel/bottom area.

These were hulls that were laid up by a different laminator. I have been assured that the hulls from this laminator will now all be sold as "B stock", so if you buy a standard MHZ hull, it will be one laid up by the old laminator.

Tbauer
04-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Hey Keith, YOUR PERSONAL thought on this one. What do you think about them selling "B-stock" hulls? What I means is putting out a product that they know to be flawed, granted informing the buyer (which didn't happen for us on this one), but none the less putting them on the market. 'Personally I think that lowers their reputation. I maybe wrong here, but HIGH END items by HIGH END company's rarely put out "b" quality items for several reasons. 1 of course being resale value, 2 reputation, 3 negative press. I don't see YOU putting out a build that's "b" quality. I would be willing to bet that you would eat it if you screwed something up rather than send something out OR accept less pay because you did "b" quality work... Of course I gather that by the exact reasons I have listed. Your positive reputation, resale value, and lack of negative press. What say you?

I know I am putting you on the spot, sorry about that.... =)

Doby
04-09-2014, 04:36 PM
How much $$$ did this particular B stock hull cost????

Tbauer
04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I didn't pay "B" stock prices so I am not sure what they will go for, but I paid somewhere between 5-600 with shipping I think......Keith knows for sure, but I am pretty sure it was close to that

Doby
04-09-2014, 06:09 PM
That much for what's supposed to be A stock!!!!!!!!!!!??? They should be embarrassed.

flraptor07
04-09-2014, 08:56 PM
I know it doesn't effect the structural integrity of the hull but if I paid that much for a hull and had to do all that extra work to prep it for paint I'd be pissed. And who knows, if the laminator messed up on that part of the hull who's to say he didn't mess up on something that really matters that you can't see ?

Tbauer
04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Exactly...............

keithbradley
04-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Travis,

I guess you're asking whether or not I think that's a good business decision? I have to say that I think it's flawed. The more b quality hulls they put out there, the more negative impressions people will have. It doesn't really matter what they charge. I think even if they gave them away for free it could be damaging.

In regards to the cost, a carbon Kevlar hull from MHZ is about 650 usd delivered to the US. I think the b stock one is maybe $100 less.

Skullcracken
04-09-2014, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Tbauer;559375]This is my first MHZ and I must say I am not impressed. I certainly would not trust this hull if it were not for Keith doing a fantastic inlay. I can't believe that anyone thinks this is acceptable at any price. I paid a lot of money for this hull so I know it wasn't some discounted version. However, if it was,114102114103114104 this is totally ridiculous at any price. I read the story about the other MHZ, they should be embarrassed to put this crap out. I didn't even find these pits until I started sanding the thing.

Am I wrong ?

Im an MHZ fan, but that is ridiculous. I could see a discounted hull, if you had to just sand and reinforce. But that is needing flat out repair.

keithbradley
04-09-2014, 11:45 PM
I know it doesn't effect the structural integrity of the hull but if I paid that much for a hull and had to do all that extra work to prep it for paint I'd be pissed. And who knows, if the laminator messed up on that part of the hull who's to say he didn't mess up on something that really matters that you can't see ?

I agree and disagree. Both my mhz and hpr hulls have needed SOME filling in the gel, pin holes/air pockets are fairly normal on a thicker hull. For that reason i don't have a problem with the idea of some bodywork being necessary, although it's a bit excessive in this case.

More of a concern is the thickness of the hull. These hulls are thinner than those from the "old" laminator, so reinforcement is more of a necessity.

The good news is that word for out fast, and mhz is now assuring us that all hulls are now from the old laminator unless they are marked "b" stock.

Tbauer
04-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Yes, and I agree 100%

Tbauer
04-10-2014, 12:27 AM
to this i meant

"Travis,

I guess you're asking whether or not I think that's a good business decision? I have to say that I think it's flawed. The more b quality hulls they put out there, the more negative impressions people will have. It doesn't really matter what they charge. I think even if they gave them away for free it could be damaging."

ManuelW
04-10-2014, 05:12 PM
easily solution, maybe also read the statement there ;)
http://www.hpr-powerboats.com/

For the MHZ B-grade, I wouldnt recommend going for it, go for an A-class GFK hull of them instead. Those are even cheaper by about 40€ for the 114, they are A-grade which means flawless and according to several friends I can absolutely thrust a GFK hull is stronger than their new carbon cevlar hulls which are now sold as B-grade. So you are getting a flawless & stronger hull for less money - doesnt make the B-grade stuff look as a good deal imho.

Lets see what Keith says to that statement, I think he bought more MHZ hulls than we did!

regards,
Manuel

keithbradley
04-10-2014, 07:06 PM
easily solution, maybe also read the statement there ;)
http://www.hpr-powerboats.com/

For the MHZ B-grade, I wouldnt recommend going for it, go for an A-class GFK hull of them instead. Those are even cheaper by about 40€ for the 114, they are A-grade which means flawless and according to several friends I can absolutely thrust a GFK hull is stronger than their new carbon cevlar hulls which are now sold as B-grade. So you are getting a flawless & stronger hull for less money - doesnt make the B-grade stuff look as a good deal imho.

Lets see what Keith says to that statement, I think he bought more MHZ hulls than we did!

regards,
Manuel

Absolutely agree.
The fiberglass hulls are quite strong.

Tbauer
04-13-2014, 01:51 AM
Fiberglass stronger than Kevlar? I find that hard to believe...... Kevlar stops bullets. Fiberglass does not. Or are you simply saying even using Kevalr, MHZ builds them crappy?

ManuelW
04-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Fiberglass stronger than Kevlar? I find that hard to believe...... Kevlar stops bullets. Fiberglass does not. Or are you simply saying even using Kevalr, MHZ builds them crappy?

Ask Keith or send him a PM, this is just my opinion that their glass hulls are better than their latest carbon cevlar stuff.

regards,
Manuel