PDA

View Full Version : Prop prob

Jlov
03-29-2014, 03:41 PM
I have this Y547 on my Popeye and must have nicked it on something. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this? Thx Jeff

Luck as a Constant
03-29-2014, 03:41 PM
With a file
At least that's what I would try first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlov
03-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Always have bought my props on advice and always sharpened and balanced. So have no prop working experience. What type of file and just try and round out the edge? Know you detongue props in that area and don't wanna screw anything up. Boat is finally running perfect. Any vids maybe on you tube on how to work a prop? Thx Jeff

Luck as a Constant
03-29-2014, 03:58 PM
well, firstly, i would try to bend back any material that may still be there, then grab a fine metal file from hardware store and slowly work the blade back to health. you should have a balancer tho. look in the info section of this website for prop info. good stuff

tlandauer
03-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Jeff, while I have not have to work on my props, I had similar problems before, as said, before filing away, I place the nicked area against a glass table top and pressing the blade against the glass until everything is as smooth as possible, you need to observe the curve on the good side and not deform the problematic side too much, always back up the blade with your finger. Sometimes I find something round---like the barrel of a pen or marker and "roll" the uneven area back to a more acceptable degree.
I don't use a file personally, no matter how fine they are, the thin material is too fraigile to be filed. I use above 200 grit sand paper, actually 320 or 400 would be ok, I carefully smooth out the leading edge. The key word is "to smooth out", not taking away too much. Depending how much is ""smoothed away", I would recheck the balance and might have to go over on the good side to even things out.

SloHD
03-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Jeff, get yourself a small file set from the depot. Like they sell on ose and kintec. (I think ose sells a set, I know kintec does)

That thing is barely nic'd. Just file it back nice and round and run it. Try to file as lightly in that area as possible.

Jlov
03-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes I just used some 400 grit wet sand paper and it came out pretty good. Can't feel it when I run finger nail over it now. Polished it up to....lol

dasboata
03-30-2014, 08:16 AM
You can remove the tounge a bit with a 1 " belt sander or you can send it to me to go over everything good luck Chris