PDA

View Full Version : Mini Rio rescue boat

Radness69
03-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Hey folks just wondering what your thoughts are regarding a rescue/retrieval boat for my Blackjack 29. Does this little hotrod have enough power to haul my BJ29 in with a line and tennis ball hook combo? It would be a bone stock Mini Rio with a 2000 mah Lipo 2S.(LVD alarm)
Also considered the Rio with float and arms style setup for collecting BJ29.
Thanks!
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlandauer
03-23-2014, 07:08 PM
IMO the Mini Rio is not a good candidate for the task mentioned above. It is too small and the little motor with the ESC/radio combo unit makes it hard to avoid issues with heat build-up and signal loss at a range that might exceed the system's capability.
At $20 more, you will be better served with the RIO EP, the dual rudder turns the boat on a dime even at slow speed. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the ESC is non-water cooled, if you push too hard, it will fry. Also this boat is a ton of fun, so in no time you will want to make her run faster, as I did with a BL conversion, so now I am rescue-boat-less. :roflol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSzhyfHF3w

lenny
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
:iagree:

How about you make one of these ? 113400
There is a video of it doing it thing some where on hear.

phil t
03-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Allyou have to do is run a line out to the dead boat and circle it once, then reel in the line, dead boat, and retrieve boat. The retrive boat doesnt have to push or pull. I just use a small zig zag forthat job

Radness69
03-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Great input guys thanks very much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerry123
12-20-2018, 11:38 AM
IMO the Mini Rio is not a good candidate for the task mentioned above. It is too small and the little motor with the ESC/radio combo unit makes it hard to avoid issues with heat build-up and signal loss at a range that might exceed the system's capability.
At $20 more, you will be better served with the RIO EP, the dual rudder turns the boat on a dime even at slow speed. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the ESC is non-water cooled, if you push too hard, it will fry. Also this boat is a ton of fun, so in no time you will want to make her run faster, as I did with a BL conversion, so now I am rescue-boat-less. :roflol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSzhyfHF3w

I use a Walmart boat for my small electric boats.

rearwheelin
12-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Inline rudder turns best for singly prop retrieving