PDA

View Full Version : Air Dam or ?

flynow1
02-16-2014, 08:32 PM
I have a MG with blue printed bottom, off set rudder. Speeds are 45-55 on glass smooth water but if there is a wind (even slight) it's a very different story. I moved the CG very forward and that helps but its way too wet and slow.
Do air dams work and if so what is it made of, where does it go (exactly) and how is it attached. OR // is there something I'm overlooking?
Thx
:unsure:

photohoward1
02-16-2014, 09:24 PM
can't hurt. I use the plastic wall corner protectors you get at Home Depot or Lowes. For starters just tape it on. Put it in the tunnel toward the front. They are cheap so do a little experiment with depth. (cut it).

flynow1
02-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Ok I'm going be stupid here and ask what kind of tape stays put at 40mph with water trying to pull the plastic angle off. The material itself is a great idea.

Chilli
02-17-2014, 01:25 AM
3M VHB Automotive Trim Tap. Advance Auto Parts carry it. It holds the air dam on my SAW cat at 90+..... as well as the rear sponsons and carb shield on my gas rigger. Don't skimp and get the cheap stuff.

martin
02-17-2014, 01:47 AM
Just tape a plastic drinking straw across the tunnel around 2" in from the front of the tunnel.

iop65
02-17-2014, 02:11 AM
air dam :tried it last summer,did not help
had the same problem : could set it up for glass water but then the boat does did strange things in waves
could set it up for choppy water but as soon as it got a little flatter the boat became a kangaroo...

if you want a rtr : buy a lucas oil;this handles perfect in every water

martin
02-17-2014, 05:18 AM
If the boat is lifting at 45-55mph then an air dam is probably not going to do much re holding the boat down, their effective at much higher speeds. Lifting at 45-55mph is more likely to be a trim or set up problem with the boat.

Fluid
02-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Air dams are very effective at far less than 55 mph. We used them to good effect 20 years ago when 55 mph was unattainable in most FE boats. They do a great job keeping my 45 mph N-2 sport hydro on the water. Air dams have to be sized for the job, larger for lower speeds. There may be other setup issues here, but I would try the air dam first.

photohoward1
02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Just simple hatch tape. easy to remove too. Once you get what you like use the more permanent set-up.