PDA

View Full Version : Help with calibrating a swordfish esc

de-pro
02-11-2014, 09:29 PM
I recently picked up a swordfish 220 pro+ from Steven. This is my first swordfish esc so I had a question about calibrating it with my radio.
I power up the esc while holding the throttle in full. The esc emits a few beeps and then starts beeping steady single tones. I released the throttle into neutral position after the second steady tone and after two tones the esc arms.
The question is the fact I dont seem to get smooth throttle after the calibration. Am I doing something wrong while trying to calibrate or the throttle on this esc is not very smooth

jim82
02-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Good question mine is doing the same.

de-pro
02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Just as a note, I have the latest firmware installed in the esc, I have tried calibrating with throttle set at 100% and then increased it to 125% after the calibration is done. I am using a Spektrum DX3C

jim82
02-11-2014, 10:55 PM
I've tried all the same except I use flysky. I am thinking that it is just the way they are programmed to run, once in the water its not as bad but still not as smooth as Seaking/Turnigy , or Castle.

de-pro
02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
I never tried it in the water so I am not sure. I just want to make certain my calibration steps are done correctly

de-pro
02-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Anyone with past experience with this ESC can confirm if I am following the right steps for calibrating this esc?

jcald2000
02-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Are you following the directions EXACTLY?

de-pro
02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
I like to think so. Power up the esc while holding the full throttle. It emits three beeps and after a second or two it will emit single beeps. After the second beep release the trigger to neutral. You hear a couple of beeps and she arms. I found the throttle is not smooth during various RPM ranges after calibration. I have tried several times.

Rocstar
02-13-2014, 08:19 AM
You may be holding the trigger too long. I can't remember the sequence of beeps, but try returning to neutral after the first set.

de-pro
02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I will try that. I personally think it's the issue with calibrating with the spektrum radio but before I try every single alternative out there, I was hoping someone with experience in this esc can provide feedback.

jim82
02-14-2014, 10:29 PM
When I plug mine in for calibrating it has very fast set of beeps then 3 slow beeps after but per manual its the 2nd beep you return to neutral then you get 2 beeps after that lets you know it has been recognized, but after that it still makes motor rev really high with just a touch of throttle on soft start. What are we doing wrong or is it just the way these ESC's are?

de-pro
02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I followed exact same steps as per the manual. Also tried releasing the throttle after the initial fast beeps, after 1st, 2nd and third beeps with the same results. I dont get the same effect as yours and I can get the motor spin in low RPM. Just the throttle control on this esc is very erratic and not so smooth. I also tried the esc with my Airtronics FM radio with same result so it doesnt look like a spektrum radio issue.
Maybe thats how these things are.

jim82
02-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Out of all the people who have used Swordfish ESC's cant give more info on his/her experience with these ESC'S? Bad/Good? So many rc boat sellers are starting to sell these ESC's but no answers?

Rocstar
02-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Make sure the start up type is set to "Soft". I have used a few of the Pro series with my DX4S with no issues. Here is the manual I uploaded in case you need it.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9RjXCakvyAyRGhvS2prb18zREk&usp=sharing

de-pro
02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Amazing!! That actually made a huge difference. Thank you.
As far as the max throttle goes, do you get 100% recorded in the logger? I calibrated the esc at 100% throttle and then increased the travel to 130%. Is this necessary after the latest firmware update?

Make sure the start up type is set to "Soft". I have used a few of the Pro series with my DX4S with no issues. Here is the manual I uploaded in case you need it.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9RjXCakvyAyRGhvS2prb18zREk&usp=sharing

Rocstar
02-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Amazing!! That actually made a huge difference. Thank you.
As far as the max throttle goes, do you get 100% recorded in the logger? I calibrated the esc at 100% throttle and then increased the travel to 130%. Is this necessary after the latest firmware update?
Before the update I had to do the same thing to record 100%. The update is suppose to fix the issue with Spektrum transmitters, but it's still frozen here, so I haven't tested it, but I'm sure it's good to go now.

de-pro
02-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Thank you kindly. Hopefully it wont be too long before the thaw out.

jfrancisco892
02-16-2014, 11:20 PM
How did you guys do the update on the esc? There is a link to a download of the update on the hifei site but it does not come up when i attempt to download it. Any tips?

Rocstar
02-16-2014, 11:47 PM
How did you guys do the update on the esc? There is a link to a download of the update on the hifei site but it does not come up when i attempt to download it. Any tips?
Connect your controller to your computer and open the software. Click on the Upgrade tab....

de-pro
02-16-2014, 11:52 PM
PM me your email address. I can forward you the upgrade file.

de-pro
02-17-2014, 07:25 AM
jfrancisco892 check your email

de-pro
02-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Just sharing a picture of my final setup.
DF33, SF 220 pro+ paired with Castle cap bank, Castle 1520. will be running on 6s1p. Hoping to hit high 50s to low 60s when this winter actually comes to an end.

jamie
02-18-2014, 07:51 AM
Your holding the throttle too long. First 3 beeps then release it then they should make 2 beeps to confirm. Also as a previous poster said try soft start, my Neu 1527 will stutter on normal start as well with a futaba radio, but with my castle motors standard start was fine.
I Ran these in a twin cat for over a year no issues.

Accessable
02-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm using the Swordfish Pro Plus with a Hitec Aggressor Pro SRX Spectra 2.4 DS radio setup.
I'm getting 101% throttle according to the Hifei log.
Acceleration is set to soft and responds as expected in a linear fashion.
To make it even more interesting, if I trigger forward to "brake" I get a slow idle of about 2000 RPM.
I've also noticed that if I do "brake", the next squeeze to full throttle is very punchy indeed.
Calibrating is simple and it sounds like you're doing the correct procedure.
I'm thinking your problem may be located in you transmitter settings i.e. End Points (EPA) or EXP (Exponential) adjustment.

FWIW: I have my brake set to 30% - and that's about what I'm getting.
Why use brake? I think it's better to have my prop slowly rotating rather than a dead stop in those "panic" situations.
I'd be interested in getting a copy of the latest Hifei firmware too.
Cheers.

dennislawler11
04-29-2014, 11:33 PM
my sf 220a keeps shutting off after about five seconds any thoughts?

Rocstar
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
my sf 220a keeps shutting off after about five seconds any thoughts?
What is your LVC set at, and what is your setup?