PDA

View Full Version : New p27 gunslinger cracker box

forescott
01-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Anyone seen this yet??

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub1815-gunslinger/index.html

siberianhusky
02-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Very interesting, always liked the C-boxes. Probably be another good one!
Aquacraft needs to get somebody with some taste to design the graphics though. Not as bad as the Motley but close!
Won't be buying one for that reason alone.
How about a plain hull version we can do up with our own graphics?

Grimracer
02-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Siberianhysky,

This is an open invitation.. Please when you get the chance.. Post here a picture of what you feel this boat should look like for the masses. Maybe our company is out of touch as to what somebody like you might want.

Grimracer

siberianhusky
02-03-2014, 10:37 AM
What is wrong with a choice of plain colored hull maybe with a graphics sheet people can use if they want to?
I don't have any issues with the quality of products. The Motley runs great, still almost stock (except for a bit of hatch reinforcement), but that dumb graphics scheme had to go asap. Looks like something a 14 year old stuck in the 80's with a bad mullet would like! ( I do know it's based off a full scale race team, should have chosen the Amsoil boat looks much classier and is the same Skater hull)
The UL-1 is tasteful, as is the Revolt, SV looks good, the Lucas Oil cat is not bad looking at all either very tasteful. TS-3s are nice as are the VS-1s.
No stupid skulls, cartoons, skeletons, skull wraps, guns, swords.........Just something a normal adult male can own and not get asked if it belongs to his teenage kid!
I will keep buying most AQ products, some of them will be painted before they leave my house. This is the one place where Proboat has Aquacraft beaten.

Grimracer
02-03-2014, 10:53 AM
They just dont sell plain colored... This is an open honest invite.. lets us know when you come up with something.. Its good to get input from our customers.

Grim

forescott
02-03-2014, 06:28 PM
I think he might have taken that post as sarcasm grim. Im not too keen on the graphics either, but the drivers and engine definitely need some more detail!

Grimracer
02-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Not meant as sarcasm.. Show me what you can do, you want.. here is your chance..

Here is what I think.. I think MOST are OK with the schema. This boat was designed as "fun" and shows it. Its light hearted and a blast to drive.

Here is what i was hoping.. (but in this day and age maybe that’s lost).. I was hoping to hear.. "I can not wait to detail mine, Im going to paint the drivers helmet orange and add plug wires to the motor"..

Grim

longballlumber
02-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Geeze-O-petes… take it easy fellas! I don’t think it’s possible to COMPLETELY (100%) satisfy every hobbyist’s personal design tastes.

I am willing to bet since its ABS they will be decals and can be easily removed. Take’em off, paint, detail, or sticker up anyway you want… Harness your creativity and hobby skills. Don’t be so negative to the company’s/people that are trying to get our very small faction of the hobby cool stuff to play with!

I can’t wait to get one of these and the Mini GP hydro… Maybe I can put the same paint scheme on both…

Later,
Mike Ball

properchopper
02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
One more really cool entry to feed my wish for a one-design race class ( "Ya' know I've always been a dreamer.." - from Take it to the Limit / Eagles :wink:).

One thing, we here, often fail to realize is that products like these rtr's are for the most part created for a target market of Fathers and Sons enjoying a Sunday at the lake rather than the enhanced performance audience that lives here. Not only do I like the graphics,( I even like my Motly Crew even though the name reminds me of a pretendo-rock band whose members dress like ugly women) but I'd run out and buy the CB today if I could convince my club to do the same to start a pure low-buck FUN class. Oh the pain.........

Grimracer
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Tony,

When I saw the Cboxs run at the FEW nats a few years ago I thought.. why not. I have 4 of them myself (different sizes) and love em.. What I did not like were the way they ran at the nats.. Blow over, roll over CITY.. I have HOURS into testing this.. Simple was the solution! This boat “will” surprise you…

Thanks for the support!

Grim

properchopper
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Tony,

When I saw the Cboxs run at the FEW nats a few years ago I thought.. why not. I have 4 of them myself (different sizes) and love em.. What I did not like were the way they ran at the nats.. Blow over, roll over CITY.. I have HOURS into testing this.. Simple was the solution! This boat “will” surprise you…

Thanks for the support!

Grim

Gee Mike,

To enhance the surprise, I can forward my shipping address { not that the fact that my second boat article in RC Boat Magazine is headed to print and they're always on the lookout for "new product reviews" has anything to do with anything}:wink::wink::wink:

nate
02-04-2014, 01:52 PM
aq make a rtr twin cat with diff color's and 540 mounts ect! id buy

NativePaul
02-05-2014, 04:56 AM
Personally I quite like the graphics and really like the MC graphics, but I know what SiberianHuskey means, as not everyone will like it, and even though I do if I knew someone else with one I wouldn't want it the same as theirs, it would be dangerous for us to run together looking the same, one of us would inevitably think we were driving the wrong boat at some point and end up with a runaway up the bank.

You wouldn't have to try to sell plain hulls, you could include the existing decal in the box and still have the sexy box art, just leave it to the buyer as to whether they apply it or not, or paint first then apply it. Tamiya include their decals in the box for the owners to apply as they wish, and it has not stopped them being one of the biggest RC car companies in the world consistently for the last 30 years.

Darin Jordan
02-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Good Job, Mike! It's always a positive when we have more fun to select from out there!

Grimracer
02-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks Dmon.. it was a fun project. It took me back a few years and at the same time kicked my butt in the new departent.. Lots of fun to drive!

MORE is ALWAYS BETTER! O yea!

Grim

tlandauer
02-06-2014, 03:50 AM
I agree with NativePaul: the MC's graphic doesn't bother me at all, I like this one as well. It is a personal preference. I can't wait to have this one though, I skipped the Wildcat Catamaran and the GP-1 Mini 3s Ultra Hydroplane, just because I have too many. But this is so different...
I drooled over Properchopper's Cbox... This will get me a bit closer to the "real" thing :lol:

Todd Fleury
02-06-2014, 01:06 PM
It would be cool to see a grimracer hop up kit or a race ready version. It would be an awesome addition to FE racing!

Grimracer
02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Sport 40 II.. just hang onto your hat.. if this boat "hits the numbers" we have more in store (MUCH MORE) for the gang!

ROCK AND CBOX ROLL!

Grim

Todd Fleury
02-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I'll buy one rtr, and just wait then! haha

Doby
02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Hi Mike:

Am I seeing things correctly...is the motor offset to the right?

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub1815-gunslinger/aqub1815-w-hatch-off-b.jpg

Never mind...answered my own question.:drool:

Grimracer
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Yep. I bet I have over 50 hours in testing the drive line.. I almost gave up on this project BUT.. after LOTS of time at the test pond got the schooling I needed. Wait untill you get this boat on bumpy water.. lol.. two words PIN IT! If you arnt lauhing your A#@ off after the first run I would be VERY suprised...

But.. like any Cbox.. on glass water it has its "moments".. I think thats what makes it fun!

Grim

Grim

Theodomas
02-09-2014, 03:54 AM
I saw this Cracker and think it will be a great addition to my lineup. I have a stack of 3S 5000 Mah Lipos just sitting, that I would love to use on a new project. Will this footprint/weight be suitable for the Crackerbox?

Battery = 137x47x40mm, Weight: 418g
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1v

Thanks!

Grimracer
02-10-2014, 10:52 AM
O yea.. they will fit NO PROBLEM!..

Namba328
02-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Hey mike is this a legal hull for p-ltd cracker? I've tried to find the rules for that class but have came up empty.

Darin Jordan
02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Hey mike is this a legal hull for p-ltd cracker? I've tried to find the rules for that class but have came up empty.

There aren't any "National" level rules because this isn't a NAMBA or IMPBA class. The local clubs that run this have their own sets of rules.

Namba328
02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Oh ok hmmm well I still think this hull with a 1800kv pspec setup would be bad ass.

rightturnonly
02-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Grim,

I'm just wondering if there's an Aquacraft 1/6th Scale Jersey Skiff possibility. Since there are a few of them racing already using the Aquacraft 1800kv and esc's setups....

John

Grimracer
02-13-2014, 10:11 AM
John,

We can do just about anyboat.. time and years are the issue. Do "I" feel we should have one.. O YEA!

Grim

TheShaughnessy
02-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Ordered a couple up today, one for the shop and one for me. Should be a good coot chaser and that seems to be pretty popular out here.

TheShaughnessy
04-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Does anybody have feedback on 3 bladed props with the cracker boxes. GP list a 36x55 grim prop as an upgrade but also have a Vegas frp prop for listed as a y535. Shaft size is 1/8th so I was thinking along the lines of a y535/3 or a x435/3. I'm just wondering if it would create an issue being a submerged prop. 3 blades have more lift then 2 right? These are getting close and I'd like to have a couple props on the shelf.

Grimracer
04-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Just to be clear.. a 3 blade prop just by mere number of blades does not cause it to make more lift.

Blade rake, pitch and profile do however.

The important thing about selecting a prop for you boat (FE boat that is) is not over amping the electronics. Having said this we also want good handling and speed (note I added speed second cus to me it’s useless without handling)

With props its (buy and try).. I can however say that the 36X55 grimracer prop works very nice on the Gunslinger.

Grim

birdy233
04-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Is it still on track for availability at the end of the month?

TheShaughnessy
04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Dealer web site still says late April so I imagine they are. Early June worst case scenario.

TheShaughnessy
04-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Grim do you have an Idea on when a video will be released for this guy? Not sure if i wanna try club racing with these or gp-1's

properchopper
04-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Grim do you have an Idea on when a video will be released for this guy? Not sure if i wanna try club racing with these or gp-1's

I vote for the C-Box :thumbup1:

Hope there'a a "bind-and-splash" version :wink:

Eodman
04-22-2014, 09:54 PM
My son built the original Gunslinger in 2008! Grim he should get something out of this!

Grimracer
04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Not sure when the video is coming out. I did see a proof of it yesterday so it must be close. This boat is really fun to run.. Is it 40mph? Na.. but it dont need to be for good old side by side racing.

Grim

properchopper
04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
OK,already. I'm hooked. I want one. Maybe it won't be the latest race class to be sanctioned BUT I can already envision myself and Mike (TheShaugnessy) doing the max-fun side-by-side thing around the Legg buoys. Some of the best times I've ever had were days like that when a few of us did exactly that on a Sunday afternoon for pure grins.

That's what it's all about when you bottom-line it anyway :wink:

TheShaughnessy
04-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Tony I have two on the way as soon as they are available, should I put your name on the other one? It would be sweet if I got my hands on one before the 4th

I'm not expecting a 40 mph boat. The ponds out here aren't quite big enough.

Grimracer
04-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I just got back from the pond.. I am getting a Gun ready for the Joe Nall event in a few weeks.. Regardless.. your going to be putting in some down trim on the pads and testing battery locatons but.... dang... that boat runs nice, turns on a rail.. I giggle ever time i run the thing.... (3300mah packs for me)

Grimracer

Eodman
04-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Grim nothing for my son! LOL

Grimracer
04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Video is up on the Aqua Website.

Grim

tlandauer
04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Video is up on the Aqua Website.

Grim
Thanks for the heads up, great video, looks fun, got to get one... :buttrock:

TheShaughnessy
04-29-2014, 08:07 PM
you beat me to it, i just came across it. I'm impatiently waiting for a box from gp. I see they are in stock in Illinois, I'm hoping the west coast isn't far behind. Video looks sweet, i like the Fpv footage. I have a 5650 1800 and a matching esc. Do you think i can keep it on the water with a 4s p-ltd power system .

Grimracer
04-30-2014, 01:04 PM
The boat is very light (had to be to work with our power sytem) BUT.. its worth a shot.

The video is OK. I would have liked a bit more action but overall its OK.. with more tuning the boats REALLY handle well. unlike other Cboxes i have setup and ran (and seen ran) this one does not blow off as easy OR roll over as easy.. Its a HOOT on choppy water!

Grim

Spartanator
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
I want one! Just as long as my Spartan stops stealing all my RC fund! I kind of want to get this and put my Spartan power system n there while running 4s! I need it to be able to handle chop. I think they hit it pretty good though on this one, just need a few tweaks like a bigger ESC and maybe some other stuff.... Overall I like the hull shape, reminds me of the 16' Donzi Classics! IDEA!!!!!! Make this my little Donzi, I can already see it!:banana: For anyone that gets this little sucker post a video, I am no fan of the advert. video they put out....

TheShaughnessy
05-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Ok so I was able to get her in the water today. Lots of laughs. Needs a bit of tuning but it was fun to drive. Would have some video up in a bit here .

tlandauer
05-09-2014, 03:21 AM
Ok so I was able to get her in the water today. Lots of laughs. Needs a bit of tuning but it was fun to drive. Would have some video up in a bit here .
:popcorn2: Can't wait to see the vid.

Grimracer
05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Its not a nut scraping speed demon but its a HOOT on bumpy water. The handling is quite surprising.
Keep bending the plates until you get the ride you want..
Grim

TheShaughnessy
05-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Wait untill you get this boat on bumpy water.. lol.. two words PIN IT! If you arnt lauhing your A#@ off after the first run I would be VERY suprised...

But.. like any Cbox.. on glass water it has its "moments".. I think thats what makes it fun!

Grim

Grim

OK so here is some video of the first couple runs. Video isn't the greatest but you get to see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMvG4acluM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D07X0tcalw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOuVnwy3Ok

My initial thoughts/ review. pros: bulk heads to reinforce the ABS hull
Break away rudder saved me from any damage on several turtle back run ins
Hatch has positive retention and is easy to seal with the supplied tape ( cheap crummy tape, but none the less it is supplied)
Sealed box for rx and steering servo.
Steering servo pulls on rudder pushrod when turning right so it doesn't flex when being pushed
Easy to remove motor mount
Drain plug
Uses Deans* connectors and 3s 2200-5000 mah batteries which are fairly common among RTF planes ( Cross overs?)
Runs dry even if flipped (which was pretty hard to do ) I removed 15 ml of water after being upside down for 5 min or so and only had the sides of the hatch taped.
Lots of run time
Large tub area leave lots of room for lots of battery possibilities and ease of maintenance

CONs:

Drivers need paint, would like to see helmets and vest painted along with more detail on the Faux motor
Trim tabs make strange sound when bending with pliers and are difficult to bend evenly
Printing on the box was horrendous just about Impossible to read.
Would have preferred a flex shaft with a 1/8 th stub shaft. My 1/8 inch props are a little lose on the threaded 3 mm shaft.

TheShaughnessy
05-09-2014, 04:34 PM

made some adjustable trim tabs with some u- channel i had laying around. I made them a little bit wider then the stock set and they are also a bit longer. Hopefully I can get a run in today and see if they do anything for me.

TheShaughnessy
05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
those tabs didn't do much if anything over the stock ones, just easier to adjust. I guess I'm gonna have to play with weight and cg. Mine is just hopping at the moment.

Spartanator
05-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Looks as if it needs way more weight, at least 2 lipos in parallel... Have you looked into some large tabs here at OSE?

TheShaughnessy
05-11-2014, 10:57 PM
115321115322115323ok i would like to retract my drivers needing paint as a bad thing. I spent a little bit of time and painted them up. I did it at work so it was a little rushed at times but I'm happy with the way it turned out over all. I ran gps on it yesterday and got a max of 20.1 mph, it was on smooth water but the ride was still off, it was hopping way bad so i feel like there is more speed to be had with the stock power system.

I ran it again today with a 900 mah 3s as far forward as possible ( bow has a bulkhead that stops you from going very far) that was just in there as ballast, I stuck a 3s 4000 mah battery towards the rear of the battery tray and it ran quite a bit flatter, still needs some tuning but it was better. I'm pretty sure I can make use of the tabs I "fabbed" up. I drilled the holes for the adjustment screws a hair large so one of them is stripped already.

Here are some pics, and i'll see if I can get the video from today up.

TheShaughnessy
05-11-2014, 11:40 PM
video was taken with my phone the wrong way, it's the only way in can tape it to the tx. Needs a bit more tuning but getting there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V0oK2OQ3f8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHBU9Ryjgk towards the 4:30 min mark there are some pretty cool passes.

tlandauer
05-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Nice paint job, love it! Say, that's a nice hobby shop you got there!
Are you using stock prop?

TheShaughnessy
05-16-2014, 02:56 PM
So did anyone else rush out and get one of these? Stainless prop gave me a bit more speed, no real number yet on that. Amp draw is pretty conservative on the stock prop.

I would like to see 30mph out of the stock power system so that should take some effort, that's the fun part though right?

Grimracer
05-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Keep adjusting the trim plates.... it will just keep getting better!

Spacelord
05-27-2014, 09:00 PM
I got one. My first RC boat was a small crackerbox, a Bag Shot kit from Enforcer back in the day (15 years ago). Brushed motor, car ESC, and a 1400 sick pack. Things are so much better these days! This thing is sweet. Painted pilots and engine before it ever hit the water LOL.

Grimracer
05-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Spacelord,

First and formost welcome to the board.

And thank you for choosing AquaCraft.

Grim

Spacelord
05-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Thank you Grim! This boat is so versatile. Whether cruising slow and not quite on step and turning tight corners, to right at cruising speed with the nose bobbing and on the edge of sloppy. Or best yet WFO and watching the hull jumping off the surface far enough that the entire prop comes out of the water! The hours you put in definitely show. For the performance and FUN factor you get for the relatively low price, you guys should have no problem "hitting the numbers".

Spacelord
05-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Question for you guys. When reinserting the prop shaft into the stuffing tube, do you butt the prop "cone" up against the stuffing tube or leave a little gap?

Grimracer
05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Becuase this boat does not use a flex drive you can run the drive dog up to the strut.. (just keep a tiny gap)

Have fun!

Grim

mitchesx
06-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Hey Mike -are there plans for an rxr version?

Steve

Grimracer
06-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Not at this time.. thanks for asking
Grim

Spacelord
07-06-2014, 04:56 PM
If one side rides a little higher than the other, is that trim tab adjusted further down than the other?

P.S. This boat is a blast!

Grimracer
07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Part of tuning is just that.. If you have to tweak one one way and one the other. By all means.. do it!

Keep us posted and have fun.

Grim

rayzerdesigns
04-27-2015, 07:28 PM

made some adjustable trim tabs with some u- channel i had laying around. I made them a little bit wider then the stock set and they are also a bit longer. Hopefully I can get a run in today and see if they do anything for me.

mike..have you guys been running these??

TheShaughnessy
04-30-2015, 05:59 PM
no we do not. Being 3 cell they don't fit a class not to mention we'd need a calendar to track the speed, fun for little ponds and getting started but might cause some zzz's around the 1/6 oval coarse. Mine is used as a recovery boat for the most part, sometimes I'll let an on looker take it for a spin if they catch me in the right mood.

rayzerdesigns
05-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Well bring it out sunday...lol..I'm a looker

gsbuickman
10-05-2016, 03:39 AM
Cool, a friend of mine just ended up with one of these in a trade deal so I'm thinking about picking it up from him just for chits' & kicks. It needs a rudder and a prop, other than that it's in pretty good shape. it certainly isn't the fastest thing on the planet and it was never intended to be so but it still might be fun to play with :tiphat:

Prodrvr
03-17-2017, 02:02 PM
I know this thread is old, but I just bought this boat and can't get the damn thing to ride right...nowhere near what I see in videos. I'm using a 3s 2200 placed on the battery tray. All this boat does is porpoise and roll to the right...will not even attempt to ride level at all. I can't find any kind of setups anywhere. I'm going to try placing the battery on the right side of the motor and test. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

zooma
03-17-2017, 02:35 PM
I know this thread is old, but I just bought this boat and can't get the damn thing to ride right...nowhere near what I see in videos. I'm using a 3s 2200 placed on the battery tray. All this boat does is porpoise and roll to the right...will not even attempt to ride level at all. I can't find any kind of setups anywhere. I'm going to try placing the battery on the right side of the motor and test. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Yeah, mine was the same. There is hope, but you'll have to work at it. The volume 8 2015 issue of RC Boat Magazine has an article by Jerry Dunlap on modifications that worked. He reinforced the prop shaft where it exited the hull, replaced the little trim tabs with longer and wider ones made from aluminum, and glued extruded plastic angle strip to the chines to make them square instead of soft. Well, I did not have the ambition to do all this, so I sold it to a club member who did. The results were amazing, so he is very happy, and I am very envious. I suppose, if you could do just one thing, it should be to make larger trim tabs.

Prodrvr
03-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Yeah, mine was the same. There is hope, but you'll have to work at it. The volume 8 2015 issue of RC Boat Magazine has an article by Jerry Dunlap on modifications that worked. He reinforced the prop shaft where it exited the hull, replaced the little trim tabs with longer and wider ones made from aluminum, and glued extruded plastic angle strip to the chines to make them square instead of soft. Well, I did not have the ambition to do all this, so I sold it to a club member who did. The results were amazing, so he is very happy, and I am very envious. I suppose, if you could do just one thing, it should be to make larger trim tabs.

Ahh cool thanks! Yeah, the trim tabs seem very short. I just pulled the stock motor and threw in a 3300Kv...still runs the same except now I can do mid-air barrels rolls with it lol. I may just regulate this boat to recovery duty. I have a Motley Crew boat on the way, so I'll just make a hotrod out of that boat.

RCBoaterGuy
03-19-2017, 02:26 AM
Might be a good candidate for a jet drive setup....

JD's a dime a jillion on the bay - also have better quality units with a 2838-4500kv BLM on front.

Food for thought....

Personally, I'd like to see an aftermarket hatch with more realistic drivers similar to the ones on the PB River Jet 23 - my 2C.

Prodrvr
03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Might be a good candidate for a jet drive setup....

JD's a dime a jillion on the bay - also have better quality units with a 2838-4500kv BLM on back.

Food for thought....

Personally, I'd like to see an aftermarket hatch with more realistic drivers similar to the ones on the PB River Jet 23 - my 2C.

I like the way you think my friend...have a jet drive on the way. Maybe I can even change the hatch around and make a sprint boat out of it. I put a stinger drive on it over the weekend. Guess the stock prop is strictly for submerged drive considering the performance I got. I'll try the jet drive. It's only $17 shipped from ebay so if it doesn't work out, no biggie.

RCBoaterGuy
03-19-2017, 06:45 PM
I like the way you think my friend...have a jet drive on the way. Maybe I can even change the hatch around and make a sprint boat out of it. I put a stinger drive on it over the weekend. Guess the stock prop is strictly for submerged drive considering the performance I got. I'll try the jet drive. It's only $17 shipped from ebay so if it doesn't work out, no biggie.

I had a Tower Hobbies Power Vee (rebadged AQ Hammer EP) - stuffing tube broke loose while cleaning it after 1st run.

Took the stock motor mount out, was going to use one I picked up from a Chinese boat parts place (non-Bay) but just never got around to doing anything with it - as you can see from the pic, flex-shaft to collet alignment was way off, would had to mount the motor way forward to cure that.

Was this||close to throwing it in the recycle bin (now did) until I saw this vid recently... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myjy2qgitEk - I went NO S:censored:T, REALLY, it's that easy:olleyes: --- He also did a twin jet version... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61lHeJBe8c

Plans cancelled, boat went to the recycle bin; Gotta a RioEP for a quick'n'easy brushless project.

I'll come back to JD boats later on.

Prodrvr
03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Sure thing!

TheShaughnessy
03-20-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a P27 and have considered putting a jet drive in it. I have the mickibeez drive and it needs to go in something but the question has always been what. The cornering concerned me with the P27, will the jet suck the stern down enough to provide traction or will it just slide endlessly through corners?
Make sure you report back if you end up putting a JD in it.

RCBoaterGuy
03-24-2017, 03:47 AM
I have a P27 and have considered putting a jet drive in it. I have the mickibeez drive and it needs to go in something but the question has always been what. The cornering concerned me with the P27, will the jet suck the stern down enough to provide traction or will it just slide endlessly through corners?

Make sure you report back if you end up putting a JD in it.

Mike,
Got to thinking bout this post & came up with a couple ideas...

I'm by no means an expert. I've seen the vids on youtube where guys take the NDQ or NQD (whichever it is), convert them to BL & go stream racing - family affair type deal. But most consider them a "toy", so they don't get taken seriously.

But I think recent products like the Thrasher jetboat (tooo much $$ for my blood), and especially the PB River Jet (& now the twin jet) are going to get a lot more people (myself included) interested in this segment of RC boating.
I like the BL setup of the RJ23, but that twin jet is COOL!! And this nifty add-on will really make it bad a$$ :banana:..http://gonitrohobbies.com/ram46/ - use a 3-chan radio like the TTX-300 to activate it on the fly.

Anyways, I've been checking vids of the P-27 (think some are yours) & yeah, the front end is very light.

For a prop boat my question would be.. why not put the batt in front of the motor to move CG farther forward?? Or put the ESC in front of the motor & run dual 3S packs, one on each side of the motor wired in parallel.

As far as the jet "sucking the stern down" in a JD conversion. Again dual batts, can't speak for you, but I would not go with less than 40C & 40C batts can be heavy.

Logically speaking the radio / servo box & battery tray need to be removed to make room for the JD. So why not put the batts on each side of it - 2x 2S for a 4S configuration or 2x 3S / 2x 4S in parallel, depending on the KV rating of the motor you choose. Then shift them fore & aft till you get the desired CG.

Food for thought...

Prodrvr
03-24-2017, 04:29 PM
I decided to do a strut w/inline rudder on mine.

RCBoaterGuy
03-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Bout a month ago P-27's could be had NIB for $139.99 - Omni Models on EBay, think Tower also had them at that price point. Having now learned about it's quirkiness, I'm glad I didn't get one.

The GP-1 is another AQ boat that's really quirky; however, based on what I've read, it's quirks seem to be easier to overcome.

I'd like to see pix of your setup when complete.

Prodrvr
03-24-2017, 08:07 PM
My P-27 will be a recovery boat once I get it all back together...a fast recovery boat lol

RCBoaterGuy
03-25-2017, 01:15 AM

This setup might be the ticket for you... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?56899-Octura-small-bronze-strut-with-extension-and-rudder-moved-to-the-rear-servo-mount

I don't know if that's a good deal or not, I'll let you guys work out the details should you decide to get it.

Mike seems like good people, he's been on this forum a long time. I just got a Seaking 120A [V2] ESC from him to have a spare on hand for future boat projects.

Hope that helps, good luck:wink:

RCBoaterGuy
03-25-2017, 01:45 AM
115321115322115323ok i would like to retract my drivers needing paint as a bad thing. I spent a little bit of time and painted them up. I did it at work so it was a little rushed at times but I'm happy with the way it turned out over all. I ran gps on it yesterday and got a max of 20.1 mph, it was on smooth water but the ride was still off, it was hopping way bad so i feel like there is more speed to be had with the stock power system.

I ran it again today with a 900 mah 3s as far forward as possible ( bow has a bulkhead that stops you from going very far) that was just in there as ballast, I stuck a 3s 4000 mah battery towards the rear of the battery tray and it ran quite a bit flatter, still needs some tuning but it was better. I'm pretty sure I can make use of the tabs I "fabbed" up. I drilled the holes for the adjustment screws a hair large so one of them is stripped already.

Here are some pics, and i'll see if I can get the video from today up.

Mike, you know... the Cbox is not the first AQ boat severely lacking in detail... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?10130-mini-thunder-miss-budweiser!&p=589504

I would love to get one of those for a BL upgrade (2445 in the 2700Kv~3000Kv range on 2S), but don't have the steady hand (and facilities) needed to produce a quality paint job like yours & his.

Prodrvr
03-25-2017, 07:58 AM
This setup might be the ticket for you... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?56899-Octura-small-bronze-strut-with-extension-and-rudder-moved-to-the-rear-servo-mount

I don't know if that's a good deal or not, I'll let you guys work out the details should you decide to get it.

Mike seems like good people, he's been on this forum a long time. I just got a Seaking 120A [V2] ESC from him to have a spare on hand for future boat projects.

Hope that helps, good luck:wink:

I just got an ebay special for $48 shipped...strut/rudder/flexshaft/prop nut/bushing