PDA

View Full Version : A quick announcement: Military Batteries

Meniscus
08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I work for a government contractor and several of our business partners in the military world have various rc product lines (various UAV, land based and otherwise, but due to sensitivity of the products, I cannot provide more info so PLEASE do not ask).

If the collective 'we' could have the ultimate, low-cost battery, what specs would it meet?

Also, we work directly with many of the military battery manufacturers and they build anything we spec out! I'd appreciate the input of the senior members (as well as others) and I'm thinking that many of us could end up with specialized batteries, mil-spec, in our battery boxes.

I have not interest in making anything off of the deal (provide at-cost plus ship), I'd just like to share the resources available so that everyone can have as much fun as possilbe! Bottom line, if we all can take advantage of the money spent in the defense industry, then why not?

If you are wary, then I can start with the local cats, but I feel that I would be amiss if I didn't mention.

Let me know!!! :beerchug:

Ub Hauled
08-01-2008, 06:16 AM
You've got PM.

EDIT:
First off... thanks for sharing this unique opportunity... with that being said...
Oh man! Where to start!

I'd ask and please don't answer if it's sensitive material:

•What cells have the best power to weight to cost ratio that you deal with(we use LiPos a LOT)?
•The cells we use have a 30c discharge rate, is that something we can increase?
•Usually we have 5000mAh cells or around that, is it possible to increase the amount of mAh w/o increasing the size of the cell?

The solution would have to be something that conforms to todays standards (meaning type of charging, size, connectors, etc.) or easily adapted.
Thank you for sharing this deal with us.

Eodman
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Well I for one appreciate the offer ... as a relative newby I won't speak but put me on the list of buyers~!!!!!

Thanks again!

Avanti
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I prefer and run Flightpower EVO25 7.4V or 14.8V 25C 5000MaH LIPO.
I would be down to purchase from you if the quality and price were there.
the EVOs run about $120 for 2s and $240 for 4s

Thanks for your time

Meniscus
08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I forgot to mention, we also work with a company that does dive lights. They have lithium ion housed in vented canisters that can go down 200 meters.

Just thought I'd add that in case someone had the use for some of that technology.

Meniscus
08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Good input. If anyone has specs on various batteries and/or share experience with various, it will help to put together the spec sheet for what would be an optimal low cost solution.

Also, I'm interested in including discharge curves for various batteries others are currently using.

Bottom line: any and all specs would be nice for those batteries you like, calling out those areas that could use improvement (what may make one battery better than another). I hope that makes sense.

Spot Me 2
08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Nothing to add, but put me on the buyers list if all goes well.

Meniscus
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Alright, here's the update. batteries are working. Some of the experts are on travel with military stuff. Enough said.

A few people have expressed interest in batteries that can handle getting wet. We all know all of the issues involved, but we may have a solution. ;)

I'll keep everyone updated as I get more and with more details next time!

Eyekandyboats
08-14-2008, 10:07 PM
what type of motor are being used. how large is the machine.
how long is the operating time before you want to recharge.
what type of other equipment is used that draws power. lights cameras and such

no one can give you a good answer with out knowing some of these questions.
sending out battery might work for a rc boats but not for you.
you may need 20 AH compared to use who only use .5-1 AH of power.
what voltage range do you run at... 24 volts. 36 ?

Ub Hauled
08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I dunno about all you guys, but I got my lipos wet (fully submerged at times) and never had any issues... I believe if one has a really hard accident and the batteries get scuffed
it may become a problem but not "out of the box"... has anyone had the same experience?

Eyekandyboats
08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
i have dunked lipos many times
no issues here

Apples1
08-14-2008, 11:10 PM
imo is all about the discharge rate, the quicker we dump the power into whatever powerplant the better, however that being said, then endurance becomes and issue and the the more MAH the heavier the batt,.....

So minimum 10,000 mah at a discharge rate of 30+ with minimal weight, sounds like a dream Battery

Meniscus
08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Eye,

The military supplies and development units I'm working with handle UAV and other high speed, high drain, rc vehicles/aircraft. They already are addressing many of these questions.

In regards to Lipos getting wet, I'm new to Lipos, but not Lion. From the feedback I'm getting, it seems that they have some very simple, effective solutions to vent gases during charging, discharge etc. while remaining 100% waterproof to a meter. They have Lions for dive lights that handle up to 200 meters no problem.

Bottom line is, there seems to be a disconnect between battery manufacturers for the military world and the rc world. Almost like no ones talking or sharing info. Oh well, we'll just have to make sure that do...for all of our sakes.

My last discussion with one of the high-speed guys, weight is getting lighter. Mainly due to chemical composition. (I don't understand yet because I didn't get the opportunity to speak at length, but I'm sure it envolves lessons-learned and best practices for reliability, performance, and weight).

Like I said, I'll share more when I get the specifics. It may be up to us to do the tests on various setups. My thought is, one battery will be good for some applications and another for another application or a different objective.

More to come :)

crazzy maxx
08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
power to weight is a big factor in speed. you want the most power but you want less weight . one 4s1p 12c 3100 14.8v lipo . has more power than two regular 7.2v batteries but weights less than one standard 6 cell 7.2v NiMH

Meniscus
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I guess i'm over-zealous to think I could use that much 'jet fuel'. LOL!

crazzy maxx
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
lol
got any updates on these batteries?

Meniscus
08-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Crazy,

No updates yet, between guys on travel and moving college kids, I haven't been able to discuss at length. I'm hoping my guys will surface next week for in depth discussions.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Ub Hauled
09-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Ben, any news on the battery guys?

Mich. Maniac
09-15-2008, 02:07 AM
I vote for something competetive to LiPo that can take a charge nearly as fast as a discharge!

Ub Hauled
09-15-2008, 02:29 AM
I vote for something competetive to LiPo that can take a charge nearly as fast as a discharge!

And no memory effects!
:smile:

Meniscus
10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, I believe that my battery guys are unavailable for the moment due to the nature of their jobs. Anyway, the fiscal year just ended for the military and hopefully the manufactures that work in this industry will be freed up to discuss in the near future. I think everyone has just been busy for the moment.

Thank you to all that have provided input and I will continue to actively pursue.

Apples1
10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Any time!