PDA

View Full Version : I need to make an x437 into an x435

high-tech
01-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Hello everybody I hope the day has gone well for all! :smile:

I have a little boat I been dialing in and playing with, it's a 19 inch SKI VEE and it runs a x435 sweet but every time I hit a little something in the water it bends the end of my prop shaft Octura 3/16 turned down for 1/8 props so I put a straight 3/16 shaft and tried the x437 and it's too much. I only ran it 30 seconds and I brought her back opened up and it smelled so I know I got it hot enough to make the varnish smell in the windings. I'm glad I didn't fry it!!! :biggrin: So I brought it home for further prop work.

I don't know if removing the tongue is what it needs or how to properly resize my prop. I'm pretty good at thinning and sharpening but that's all I've done. I'm not versed in prop mods

I'm sure this ain't the first time somebody needing to be inbetween sizes or half a size up or down ect. IDK:confused1:

high-tech
01-15-2014, 07:23 PM
a pic of the boat and if anybody who has been watching I finally got it turning good. I put a 1/8" square stock the length of the keel and it works great!!!

domwilson
01-15-2014, 08:06 PM
What is your setup? What are your speed expectations? What kind of water do you run in? Have you considered using the X431 and similar sized plastic props? That could be an alternative.

high-tech
01-15-2014, 10:35 PM
What is your setup? What are your speed expectations? What kind of water do you run in? Have you considered using the X431 and similar sized plastic props? That could be an alternative.
My expectations are to work with what is on hand. So I bent 2 of the small 1/8" prop shafts in a matter of a couple weeks! I'm not even gonna think about ever running a weak and lame prop/ shaft combo. BIGGER IS STRONGER but the 37 is just a little to big and the 35 was perfect ya know what I mean when you find that sweet spot.

Well that sweet spot is my expectations unfortunately they don't make a 35 prop for a 3/16 shaft so I gotta make that 37 a 35 and I'm on this here "PROP TALK" trying to ask for a little guidance on the correct way to cut the 37 down to a 35 so that it don't end up in the trash

SO I sit patiently until somebody points me to a topic of research cuz I know its out there and I really suck at querying a search. but when my eyes roll across the correct information then my hands know what to do :tiphat:

domwilson
01-16-2014, 12:34 AM
PM Egneg. He's a good guy and can help you tremendously. He also offers it as a service. But he should give you great advice.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?7367-Prop-Work

high-tech
01-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Well I just decided that taking the tongue off was a good place to start so I got the dremel tool out and some plumbers putty cut one blade made the other the same and sharpened and rebalanced! Tom morning I'm gonna run it again and see what happens

domwilson
01-16-2014, 12:51 AM
I hope you are wearing a mask when cutting. That dust can be very dangerous.

domwilson
01-16-2014, 12:54 AM
http://rcboat.com/prop.htm

785boats
01-16-2014, 02:52 AM
You will also benefit from back cutting the prop too. This also takes some load off the motor & allows the motor to spin up a bit more.

martin
01-16-2014, 07:21 AM
As said you can detongue or back cut which will help reduce load, but the x437 even cut to 35mm diam will always have more pitch as your not changing the angles of the blades when cutting down.

785boats
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
VXP make a 35mm prop with a 3/16 bore. It's de-tongued, but it is a 1.6 pitch not a 1.4.
The increase in pitch will increase the load on the motor a lot less than the 2mm increase in diameter you experienced with a 37mm prop.
That, coupled with the fact that it is basically de-tongued, & they tend to have narrower blades than Octura props, means it might work quite well on your set up.
Free postage too, so that's a plus.
All you can do is try. No guarantees though.
All I can say is that I use a few different VXP props & I like them all.
Scroll down the page to the V3516/2.
http://stores.ebay.com/VXPerformanceProducts/3-16-Shaft-39-Below-Dia-/_i.html?_fsub=4689309017&_sid=456345287&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

high-tech
01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
VXP make a 35mm prop with a 3/16 bore. It's de-tongued, but it is a 1.6 pitch not a 1.4.
The increase in pitch will increase the load on the motor a lot less than the 2mm increase in diameter you experienced with a 37mm prop.
That, coupled with the fact that it is basically de-tongued, & they tend to have narrower blades than Octura props, means it might work quite well on your set up.
Free postage too, so that's a plus.
All you can do is try. No guarantees though.
All I can say is that I use a few different VXP props & I like them all.
Scroll down the page to the V3516/2.
http://stores.ebay.com/VXPerformanceProducts/3-16-Shaft-39-Below-Dia-/_i.html?_fsub=4689309017&_sid=456345287&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
This is what I ended up with and it works great runs as cool as the x435! when I bought the x437 I thinned and sharpened it to use it and found it was hot so when I de- tongued it and rebalanced it got too thin. When I tested it I hit a turtle and it mangled the prop, should have hardened it first but I got it close and hardened it but its not gonna be strong enough. So now that I got a profile tested and trued I'll order up another and a spare