PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Michigan Model Boat Club

ron Olson
07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
We have a new club for those in SW Michigan! The site is at the old Dry Land Marina building now known as Battlefront RC and Gaming in Grandville, a Grand Rapids suburb. The lake is at 2605 Sandord Drive SW, 4.1 miles west of US-131 off 28th Street just past the Chicago Drive overpass. All boaters are welcome and an attempt at getting some RTR boat racing going on Tuesday nights is in the works, both electric and nitro.
This is an IMPBA insured site so current membership in the IMPBA or NAMBA is required to run here as the lake owner, Grand Rapids Gravel wouldn't allow us use of the site without it.
The site is open for use 7 days a week and with club membership you also have use of the club retrieve boat. There is a course set up. Inside the building we have a modern restroom and a concession stand plus AC power.
You can reply here if you have any questions.

ETOWNE
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Who's in on it ? What do you have for racers. Keep the westbound gang on land....lol...

Mich. Maniac
07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
That would be just a bit further than driving to Elkart for me. I would be very interested but with almost half the season over I would be looking at a full year next year with the NAMBA AND OR IMPBA membership cost. Hey Ron, I thought your were located near me? your profile states Kansas??? Would be a nice venu to make of a sunday road trip to check out for next season though. Lemme know and maybe we can all meet up my way and ride together.

ron Olson
07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
It looks like I've got to edit my profile as I'm in Kalamazoo!
It's real close ot 50 miles for me to make the trip but the usual running sites for me are getting clogged up with weeds and lily pads. The only weed growth that we have at Sanford Lake is just a little along the shoreline that we're working on constantly. The place was a disaster area when we came in with a ton of brush and garbage that had ot be cleared.
From Watervliet there may be a shorter route for you, I'll have to take a look at a map as on the west side of the lake it's right off (I think) I-196.
Right now everybody in the club has ideas of what they'd like ot see happen there. The president, Walt Radzinski would like ot hols SAW event there as the water is almost dead flat most of the time even when the wind is kicking up. The guy that runs Battlefront is the one really pushing the RTR classes as he went out and bought a Miss Vegas and a Super-Vee 27 BL.
We're mainly using the lake on Tuesdays and Saturdays to help avoid frequency conflicts with those running on either the indoor or outdoor off-road tracks. You need to get a clip from inside before turning on your radio. Most of the 4-wheelers are on the 2.4 Gig band so that helps.

ETOWNE
08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Do you have any action going on yet ? It's taken us al summer to get3-4 guys around. Not easy.

ron Olson
08-19-2008, 12:22 AM
We're working on it! We've had new people show up almost every week. I was just up there Saturday as I don't get many weekends off but there is someone at the lake on Tuesdays and Saturdays. We use those days as they don't conflict with the R/C cars that run indoors but you can show up any day of the week. You just need to get a frequency clip from inside unless you're on 2.4 Gig.