PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Schedule for NAMBA Legg Lake SAW's

RaceMechaniX
12-30-2013, 12:04 PM
The November event has been extended to 5 days to accommodate the international boaters and competitors traveling from the US and Canada. More information will come next week

A heads up the Amigos and SoCal FE are hosting 3 SAW events and one 2-lap next year at Legg Lake.

The tentative dates are:

January 25-26th SAW
March 28-30th 2-Lap
August 22-24th SAW
November 5th-9th SAW

If you know or think you can make it, please send Mark Grim an email or phone call so we can get a headcount. NAMBA cards will be checked at the event so please make sure you renew before the event. In case you forget you can renew on site.

7372 Natal Drive, Westminster, CA 92683
714-615-9974
mgrim@mindspring.com

If you have any general questions about rules, running or equipment post here or send a PM. We encourage all to come out and run or just watch and bench race. The Amigos and SoCal FE try to support any racer who travels to the event and needs some assistance.

TG

Fluid
12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks for posting Tyler. Looks like November for me...

RaceMechaniX
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Jay, still plenty of time to buy a ticket and build a boat for January.....
Just saying,
TG

Fluid
12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
If someone picked up my 2013 hull maybe I can re-build it....

B Neal
12-31-2013, 01:36 AM
There is an extra SAW in March:

Saw 1/25-26
Saw 3/21-22-23
2lap 3/28-29-30
Saw 8/22-23-24
Saw 11/7-8-9

Brian

RaceMechaniX
12-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks Brian,

Will we see you in January? Looking forward to that Lobster and Filet dinner next time :-)

TG

B Neal
12-31-2013, 08:45 PM
What is your target?

Mine is 145 or smoke

Brian

RaceMechaniX
01-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Well then I better shoot for 145.1 mph to enjoy my lobster dinner. Really I am just shooting for two passes where the prop stays on.

thomaslambo
01-02-2014, 11:11 PM
There is an extra SAW in March:

Saw 1/25-26
Saw 3/21-22-23
2lap 3/28-29-30
Saw 8/22-23-24
Saw 11/7-8-9

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Will we see you in January? Looking forward to that Lobster and Filet dinner next time :-)

TG

We'll need help to support all the events this year...please contact Mark G or Tyler if you can give us some help/time?

Regarding 145....I'll raise it to 150:flammes-09:

raptor347
01-03-2014, 02:47 AM
I'll be there in March (2 lap and SAW) and November. It's a long expensive drive, I can only do it twice a year.

I'm going to play with my little boats and go for soft targets:
110 for N2
125 for P

Darin Jordan
01-03-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm going to play with my little boats and go for soft targets:
110 for N2
125 for P

"Soft Targets", eh?? Ummmm... Yeah....

Darin Jordan
01-03-2014, 10:42 AM
There isn't any way I can make the January date, but I, too, will be there in March for the SAW. Not sure I can make the 2-Lap happen, but the SAW is penned onto the calendar...

RaceMechaniX
01-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Darin I think its time you build something that can hit triple digits and is over 20".

Darin Jordan
01-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Darin I think its time you build something that can hit triple digits and is over 20".

Naw... much more challenging to attack 80+ on 1-cell... :spy:

thomaslambo
01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
The weather forecast looks good for next weekend :thumbup1:

Also, a reminder; we'll be clearing reeds from the SAW venue this Tuesday (starting at 10:00 am), so if anyone can join us we'd appreciate the :help:

properchopper
01-20-2014, 05:59 PM
The weather forecast looks good for next weekend :thumbup1:

Also, a reminder; we'll be clearing reeds from the SAW venue this Tuesday (starting at 10:00 am), so if anyone can join us we'd appreciate the :help:

We're in luck. One of my ex's showed up so I'll bring her along to help out :thumbup1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46sUcQwM5R8

rayzerdesigns
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
im actually interested in the 2 lap in march..is anyone from az going??

BILL OXIDEAN
02-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Anything exciting happen at the last LA SAWS

kacordy
02-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Can you Gentleman please update this post and give us an update on the March 21,22,23rd Saw event. Fred and I just booked a hotel and will come down as spectators and have you put us to work. This will be our first Saw event. Can you please give us an idea of what to expect? Who is planning to attend? How many boats and classes are expected?
Thanks, Allen Cordy and Fred Keyes
KC Racing

RaceMechaniX
02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Allen,

There are about 10 regulars that show up and usually a couple new faces. There will probably be 20 to 30 boats at the event, some bring 10 boats and others only bring one. We start a running order list each morning, at your turn you tell the clock person what class you are running and proceeded to run. You should be taped up and ready to run when you turn is up. We typically set up early in the morning around 6 and start running around 7:30 or 8 unless the lights are set up earlier. There is a one time site fee and then a fee per class you run. You can run as many passes as time allows. You will see small boats run 30 mph to big twin cats run 135mph and everything in between.

Assuming you are driving you should try to bring a table, ez-up, generator and chairs. If you cannot easily bring these let us know and we can try to help out.

Tyler

properchopper
02-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Gents,

Nice to get to meet you. You'll find a welcoming attitude and get to witness some amazing feats as well as observe some tuning procedures from the best of the best. To make your experience more comfortable (it's a long day) wear comfortable clothes (it's chilly in the early a.m. as well as darkness approaches). Though not confirmed yet (as far as I know) there's either a food kitchen for lunch or a pizza run for a reasonable price. I'll have some lounge chairs but if you're driving put a canopy in the car - there's some shade but not a lot. Cameras would be nice - we try to capture the runs but the more the merrier. If you want to help with the grunt work, set up is basically before or at sun up, tear down at dark.

pit tour from the last SAWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2b5s_1Xpx8

You can hit me at rcboatbuild@hotmail.com for more info (or my cell if you need it)

Tony
SoCal FE

kacordy
02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Tyler and Tony, Thank you for the update. We are just coming down to spectate. Let us know what you need help with. We can pick up boats or whatever. We would enjoy the opportunity to an invite to Dinner on Friday and or Saturday, FYI I will buy Dinner. We're both new to FE, buying and building right now. Just want to meet more drivers in the FE community. There is so much to learn.

Allen and Fred

kacordy
03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Tyler and Tony,

Fred and I decided to bring two P-spec riggers to our first SAW event. We are going to pack light and bring a car for the 10 hour drive. Would it be possible that we can toss you guys a cord for a couple charges? That way we don't have to bring a generator. Thanks for your help.

Allen

properchopper
03-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Tyler and Tony,

Fred and I decided to bring two P-spec riggers to our first SAW event. We are going to pack light and bring a car for the 10 hour drive. Would it be possible that we can toss you guys a cord for a couple charges? That way we don't have to bring a generator. Thanks for your help.

Allen

Allen,

No problem. Remember that we get going at sun-up - best water is early and late. Day is loooonnnngggg !

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Allen,

No problem. Remember that we get going at sun-up - best water is early and late. Day is loooonnnngggg !

Yup... Bring Spare PARTS! Rudders, Driveshafts, Props, Boom Tubes, and hopefully NOT ESCs/Motors/Batteries... The other parts break and get bent... The later parts burn and STINK!

Heavy Duty Zip-Lock Bags and black heavy duty garbage bags are also a good think to have on hand, just in case...

You don't want to be driving home with that boat ANYWHERE in your car/trunk if you happen to discover the limits of those FETs... :doh:

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
We are going to pack light and bring a car for the 10 hour drive.

Allen,

Where are you guys driving from???

I'm leaving from Seattle on the 19th... will make a quick stop on the Portland area, then start heading south. It's a 19-hour drive from my house... about 16 hours or so from Hillsboro.

kacordy
03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Darin, I'm driving down to Fred's house in Modesto the afternoon of the 19th and spending the night. The 20th we will drive to LA. We are going to stay 21st and 22nd and drive back Sunday Morning.

Allen

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Darin, I'm driving down to Fred's house in Modesto the afternoon of the 19th and spending the night. The 20th we will drive to LA. We are going to stay 21st and 22nd and drive back Sunday Morning.

Allen

Excellent! We'll see you there, then!

properchopper
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Also, a fire extinguisher is mandatory and charging lipo sacks are asked for. Chocolate chip cookies too :smile:

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Chocolate chip cookies too :smile:

Cookies?? OK, Now I'm starting to get a little jazzed...

kacordy
03-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Darin, I forgot to mention I live in Cottonwood, Just south of Redding. What size battery do I need to order for my Raptor for SAW? I only have 5000 packs. Will a Hyperion 4s, 4400, 45c work?

Thanks, Allen

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Darin, I forgot to mention I live in Cottonwood, Just south of Redding. What size battery do I need to order for my Raptor for SAW? I only have 5000 packs. Will a Hyperion 4s, 4400, 45c work?

Thanks, Allen

P-Ltd, AQ2300KV?? Right??

4400 or 5000 would work great. If you don't have a battery loyalty to another brand, I would HIGHLY recommend you get in touch with Mark Ferreira at DinogyLipos.com (http://dinogylipos.com/4s-lipos/96-5000mah-4s-65c) and order a couple of his packs... They WORK!

I checked with him and he should have these in stock later this week. He'll be at the event as well.

What you don't want to do is to fool yourself into thinking you can get away with the smaller packs to save weight (3300, etc.)... For P-Ltd you want EVERY RPM you can get, and voltage compression (depression??) is a factor. Under load, the smaller packs pull down to a lower voltage than the larger packs, and this kills RPM... You should be good with a 4400-5000mAh pack. The 6000's Mark sells are great too, but are about 75g heavier, and probably more important for heat racing, where you need the extra capacity at the end.

properchopper
03-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Cookies?? OK, Now I'm starting to get a little jazzed...

Although I hope you won't need them, remember to bring a sack of nickels just in case :biggrin:

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Although I hope you won't need them, remember to bring a sack of nickels just in case :biggrin:

DANG... I DEFINITELY will need those! Thanks for the reminder!!

kacordy
03-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Darin, I appreciate the advice. I will try his packs also. I currently have a Thunder Power 4s 5000, 65c that I'm running in the Raptor. I actually have 2 that I bought new. Your right, I was thinking about and concerned about reducing some weight. I'm good to go!

Allen

Darin Jordan
03-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Darin, I appreciate the advice. I will try his packs also. I currently have a Thunder Power 4s 5000, 65c that I'm running in the Raptor. I actually have 2 that I bought new. Your right, I was thinking about and concerned about reducing some weight. I'm good to go!

Allen

Just based on what I've seen, you should be good. I think, for P-Ltd, you are probably OK down to 4000mAh... I tried 3300's, for example, in my N1 setups, and went slower than when I used 5000's... even with the lighter weight.

kacordy
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Darin, I run the AQ2030 and the hydra 120. I'm a little confused. In the NAMBA record book, P-limited is Bill at 53 mph, P-spec is Brian at 83 mph "wow". Is P-Limited the stock 60amp AQ ESC? P-spec an unlimited ESC but the AQ motor? I have both speedos so I can go either way if thats the case. I know, I know, a bunch of questions from the newbies, lol

Allen and Fred

properchopper
03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Darin, I run the AQ2030 and the hydra 120. I'm a little confused. In the NAMBA record book, P-limited is Bill at 53 mph, P-spec is Brian at 83 mph "wow". Is P-Limited the stock 60amp AQ ESC? P-spec an unlimited ESC but the AQ motor? I have both speedos so I can go either way if thats the case. I know, I know, a bunch of questions from the newbies, lol

Allen and Fred

The P-Ltd record of 53mph is to be removed. Any esc is valid in NAMBA for Ltd class.

Darin Jordan
03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
The P-Ltd record of 53mph is to be removed. Any esc is valid in NAMBA for Ltd class.

The online records have a few mistakes with dual entries and some confusion as to the class names.

Your target is 83mph for P-Ltd Hydro...

Darin Jordan
03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Hey Guys... I'm sorry, but it looks like I'm going to have to cancel my trip to LA this time around. Due to some circumstances with the foreclosed house next door to us, which some people are now illegally occupying... people with some VERY shady pasts and have a history of some VERY bad "behavior", I don't feel comfortable leaving my family alone for 5 days, 1000-miles away. Level 3 Sex Offender, Rape, Assault, Cocaine dealing and possession, failure to register, kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon... Yeah... that kind of "bad"...

The Sheriff told us that we are in no danger and that we should "go about business as usual"... The Deputy, however, had a bit of a different tone and said they are "doing what they are allowed to do by law", but that we should "do what you need to do to protect your family and possessions".

Until this gets resolved, I need to stay close to home.

I'll be even more ready for the next one, I guess...

Fluid
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear that Darin. At one time I had two consecutive sets of next door neighbors in the same house. The first group sold drugs and looted building sites on their off days. That bunch left in the middle of the night with all the appliances including the water heaters and as much copper pipe as they could pull out. The next family was into identity theft and worked with a Russian mob. The FBI hauled them out in cuffs..... I never felt good leaving town when those groups were around.

Hope to see you in November.

RandyatBBY
03-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Good luck Darin, They will get them sooner or later.

kacordy
03-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Darin, family comes first. I was looking forward to hanging out for the weekend. What is your thoughts on the upcoming Namba nationals in your region? Should Fred and I come up for a few days with some FE's ?

Allen and Fred

raptor347
03-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Darin, family comes first. I was looking forward to hanging out for the weekend. What is your thoughts on the upcoming Namba nationals in your region? Should Fred and I come up for a few days with some FE's ?

Allen and Fred

Absolutely! Lots of great people plus five good FE classes mixed in with lots of gas and nitro.

BILL OXIDEAN
03-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Oxidean won't be there either this time around. Developing some new stuff that will be sure to astound in the upcoming months : )
Set that water on fire boys, and ya'll have an extra helpin' of that great lunch for me now, hear?

: )

BILL OXIDEAN
03-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Absolutely! Lots of great people plus five good FE classes mixed in with lots of gas and nitro.

That race is sounding more and more appealing to me by the minute. The way guys talk, it sounds like a pristigeous race, plus there are some Pac/NW racers I'd like to see that I haven't since I was last up there in "07"

Todd Fleury
03-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Allen,
It is a shame you won't make the FE Nats in Michigan.

thomaslambo
03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Darin, sorry to hear about the neighbor problems....but family always comes first.

Unfortunately, I can’t make the upcoming March event either....but I'll be back in August with some brand new "outside of the box" Cats!

Good luck guys :rockon2:

kacordy
03-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Todd, remember George from Germany that spent the week with us at the Nats 13? Well, I'm spending a week in Rome with the family, then we are flying to Frankfurt, George is going to meet us there, drive us in our rental car to his house. We will stay with him several days. He has over 50 FE's in his fleet! He is going to introduce me to German FE and meet his club members. Then we are doing a week long castle tour and flying home from Munich. A once in a life time opportunity so I apologize for missing the Nats 14. Fred and I are going to the Namba Nats 14 in Washington. We both bought Gas Hydros for Sunday. We will see you at a future FE nat. Raptor is done, PT at the painters. It's game time. Nice to hear from you.

Allen and Fred

kacordy
03-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Fred and I want to thank every one of you for an amazing weekend. We really appreciated everyones hospitality. We have a lot to learn. We asked a lot a questions and everyone gave us great advice. Brian added 5 mph in 5 minutes with his magic pliers. When is Brian Neal going to get up to speed and make a fast run? LOL. Mark, thank you for a great battery. Toni, I can't believe you survived 2 days pitting next to Fred! I will start my research on a dedicated SAW rigger for next year. I was bummed that Darin could not make it but looking forward to meeting him soon.

Thank You Everyone,
Allen Cordy and Fred Keyes
KC Racing

B Neal
03-26-2014, 01:21 AM
I sure can get used to this after race Sunday FREE dinner deal.

Brian

thomaslambo
08-15-2014, 10:08 PM
See the new thread on the up coming NAMBA SAW event on August 22, 23 & 24. Results will be posted on the new thread.

Thanks much,

Boyd

Darin Jordan
08-16-2014, 04:59 PM
See the new thread on the up coming NAMBA SAW event on August 22, 23 & 24. Results will be posted on the new thread.

Thanks much,

Boyd

I hadn't scheduled myself to attend this one, Boyd, but I'm gearing up for November.

Looking forward to hearing the results!

Darin Jordan
09-02-2014, 09:32 AM
A little progress towards November....

Fluid
09-02-2014, 07:24 PM
I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

kacordy
09-03-2014, 10:40 PM
A little progress towards November....

Darin,

Awesome looking tub. I like how you turned down the nose. I would assume your trying to create down force versus creating more lift over the top? Is that a P-Lmtd tub?

Allen

Darin Jordan
09-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Is that a P-Lmtd tub?

Allen

Oh, No, Allen... something much smaller... :spy:

Darin Jordan
09-04-2014, 08:01 AM
I like how you turned down the nose. I would assume your trying to create down force versus creating more lift over the top?

It's hard to see from the photos, but no... the nose isn't actually "turned down". From the side, you'd see the entire top surface is shaped like a wing... I actually need the lift.

PatrickM
09-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Lift on an M-2 boat..... interesting! Combined with an HV Lipo cell (in the only NAMBA legal HV cell class...) could make for a very high speed 'skeeter.... though it looks a bit long for M-2...
2S maybe?

rearwheelin
09-05-2014, 01:40 AM
I want to come down in November and bring my 4&6 year old to watch ! What day will be the best ? Saturday for me. I don't have any competitive boats right now but it's worth a trip just to come down and enjoy you guys doing what you do. How much will lunch cost ?

Namba328
09-05-2014, 04:45 AM
hmmmmm is darin going to give brian a run for his money???? hmmmm must watch and see..............:popcorn2:

thomaslambo
09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I want to come down in November and bring my 4&6 year old to watch ! What day will be the best ? Saturday for me. I don't have any competitive boats right now but it's worth a trip just to come down and enjoy you guys doing what you do. How much will lunch cost ?

Thanks for keeping to the topic of this thread.

FYI - the November event will be expanded to a five day event (Nov 5 - 9, Wed - Sun) due to several competitors coming from out of the country. As such, this should be a great event and hopefully some very fast speed records will be set.

A new thread will be posted in a week or so with details on the event.

Regarding which day is the best; that's always a crap shoot. SAW racing events are in a constant state of flux as the water conditions change, adjustments/repairs are made to the boats, batteries being discharged/charged/heated, and it goes on and on…..

With that said, I’d recommend Sat and/or Sun and try to come early (7:00 - 8:00 am) because the water conditions are generally best in the early morning. The late afternoon (as the sun sets) can be very good as well.

Cost of lunch is $10.00.

rearwheelin
09-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Looking forward to it !

Kris Flynn
09-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks for keeping to the topic of this thread.

FYI - the November event will be expanded to a five day event (Nov 5 - 9, Wed - Sun) due to several competitors coming from out of the country. As such, this should be a great event and hopefully some very fast speed records will be set.

A new thread will be posted in a week or so with details on the event.

Regarding which day is the best; that's always a crap shoot. SAW racing events are in a constant state of flux as the water conditions change, adjustments/repairs are made to the boats, batteries being discharged/charged/heated, and it goes on and on…..

With that said, I’d recommend Sat and/or Sun and try to come early (7:00 - 8:00 am) because the water conditions are generally best in the early morning. The late afternoon (as the sun sets) can be very good as well.

Cost of lunch is $10.00.

CANNOT WAIT!!!

To think you are putting on a 5 day SAW event is fantastic...glad you guys are coming to the party so everyone should have an excellent chance of setting records if the planets align :)

properchopper
09-05-2014, 06:34 PM
CANNOT WAIT!!!

To think you are putting on a 5 day SAW event is fantastic...glad you guys are coming to the party so everyone should have an excellent chance of setting records if the planets align :)

" The moon will be in the seventh house, and Jupiter will align with Mars..............."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE

Your welcoming party is rehearsing now :wink:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYXXIW9gfE

Fluid
09-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I am so glad that this is continuing to be an international event. Last year was great with Manuel and Marco from Europe, this year racers from both Europe and AsiaPac will be there! Too bad I can only be racing Friday through Sunday...I hope the big records wait for me.

rearwheelin
09-05-2014, 08:05 PM
I am so glad that this is continuing to be an international event. Last year was great with Manuel and Marco from Europe, this year racers from both Europe and AsiaPac will be there! Too bad I can only be racing Friday through Sunday...I hope the big records wait for me.
You were my first idol in FE ... I can't tell you how many times I watched your YouTube vids back in 2008 lol

thomaslambo
09-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Jay,

Couldn't agree more, and nice to have you back at Legg Lake.

Should be an event for the books :thumbup:

Kris Flynn
09-30-2014, 02:11 AM
sooooooooooooo who else is getting PUMPED about this upoming event!!!??? :)

Darin Jordan
09-30-2014, 11:37 AM
sooooooooooooo who else is getting PUMPED about this upoming event!!!??? :)

"Um, John, I'd agree..."....

thomaslambo
10-01-2014, 09:07 AM
FYI - Here is a link to additional information regarding the Nov 5-9 NAMBA 5-Day-Super-SAW Event at Legg Lake:

Link: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?48770-Legg-Lake-5-Day-Super-SAW-Event-Wed-Nov-5th-Sun-Nov-9th

Darin Jordan
11-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Ok.... my 19 hour drive starts first thing in the morning!

Looking forward to meeting some new friends and catching up with the old ones!

properchopper
11-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Ok.... my 19 hour drive starts first thing in the morning!

Looking forward to meeting some new friends and catching up with the old ones!

Safe travels :thumbup1:

Grazacind
11-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Ok everybody it is time to KICK THE TYERS AND LIGHT THE FIRES. Set some super fast records and most of all have the best fun you can.

Cheers
Andrew