PDA

View Full Version : More thought into Hull/Power

mitchesx
12-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Guys/Gals,

I have been thinking about boat hulls and setup in relation to where I will run. I may have one location that has calmer water, but one that will have 2 - 3" "chop." I'm not talking wind, but standard river chop. I was originally thinking I wanted to start with P (4s) hulls, but thinking more, should I be looking into a Q (6s)? I have run everything from .21 nitro to Gas hulls in both places. What input does everyone have from their experience?:noidea:

HTVboats
12-06-2013, 07:55 AM
When I started with a P/limited hull I discovered a more powerful powerhead was an easy change. Seemed logical as you used the same cells. After running Q power I found it much easier on speed controls. Plus the ability to use larger hulls. My rule of thumb now is a hull under 30 inches and less than a 1 watt motor is fine for P (4S). Going larger in power or boat size I think Q (6S) is a better fit. Over 2 watt motors on 4S take some dedication and a stout ESC. Can be done but may get expensive. On 6S a 2-3 watt motor (1200-1600kv) will give you speeds equal or better than .45 nitro boats with some less expensive ESC's like a T-180 or Swordfish 200's.
my 2cents.
Mic

mitchesx
12-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Mic. I'll think about that as a guide. I'm trying to figure out if I should skip the 4s (P) size hull due to the water conditions. Larger hulls handle chop better. I'm a newb at FE, although I know the hull theories are similar.

When I started with a P/limited hull I discovered a more powerful powerhead was an easy change. Seemed logical as you used the same cells. After running Q power I found it much easier on speed controls. Plus the ability to use larger hulls. My rule of thumb now is a hull under 30 inches and less than a 1 watt motor is fine for P (4S). Going larger in power or boat size I think Q (6S) is a better fit. Over 2 watt motors on 4S take some dedication and a stout ESC. Can be done but may get expensive. On 6S a 2-3 watt motor (1200-1600kv) will give you speeds equal or better than .45 nitro boats with some less expensive ESC's like a T-180 or Swordfish 200's.
my 2cents.
Mic

mitchesx
12-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Could someone give me some examples of what are considered good Q motors? Trying to get a better knowledge and understanding and get my feet wet.

properchopper
12-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Hi Mitch,

I fully agree with Mic that a "Q" mono in the 36" -39" range would be a good way to navigate choppy water. OTOH I have a fairly argueable alternative suggestion : A P or P-Ltd setup that is quick but lightweight so it can just happily bounce over the waves .When the lake gets blown up, I leave my full 34" P-Mono in the pits and blast around with this 30" P-Ltd rig and have a ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkiTfVT1LaE

mitchesx
12-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Tony - We're not talking THAT choppy -wow. This would be a typical day at the river. This was my 2nd time behind the wheel with the skiff, so I was getting used to how it drove - but the water conditions were pretty close to normal. If I were to go with a hydro for example -should I go with a P or an O?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR13Z3kC8Ec

properchopper
12-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Tony - We're not talking THAT choppy -wow. This would be a typical day at the river. This was my 2nd time behind the wheel with the skiff, so I was getting used to how it drove - but the water conditions were pretty close to normal. If I were to go with a hydro for example -should I go with a P or an O?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR13Z3kC8Ec

Ah, now we're talking SKIFF :biggrin: (for grins : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9eLoXGSew)

As far as hydros go, the P-power sized hydro that are mostly 30" or so (with the possible exception of the about-to-be introduced 33.75" Delta Force Sport Hydro hull or the ML Boatworks P boat) get pretty squirrely in all but fairly smooth water. Q-sized hulls seem to hang in there way better - Jay (Fluid) and his club members in Texas regularly race them in some fairly sloppy water and they do quite well( fairly quite well, as you'll see in the below vid:ohmy:). If Jay and Mike Pags chime in they'll have some valuable input.

Q Hydro's in Texas Chop : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1_OLQ9ru4&feature=youtu.be

mitchesx
12-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Tony - Had seen your skiff video before - made me a little envious - I didnt know Aeromarine was stll making a 32" skiff... Mines bigger! LOL I actually have two, the one I am driving and one I made for my son. That's an aeromarine boat that hasnt seen water. The Q hydros look good. I'm thinking of going in that direction on hulls and motors for the most part, except if I were to do an outboard. I think I need to stay with a 3.5 lower for them. What are some examples of Q motors? I'm still trying to figure the motors and the KV etc out.

properchopper
12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
This may help in determining a good range of KV for a 6S rig. As far as a brand or size-spec of motor for a Q rig I can't be much help having never built or run anything in that range - I exist solely in the 4S realm and have often been referred to as the "King of P-Class" or more affectionately as "His Royal P-Ness" (Uh, wait...:ohmy:)

Best to listen to the recommendations of those who build/run in that class.

mitchesx
12-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Your Majesty -thanks so much for your input! Seriously, you have helped me a great deal. Does Aeromarine still make that skiff? Are you running yours on 4s? I'm thinking about a P size tunnel too; so I may be looking for help there. If anyone else could chime in on the larger Q boats that would be helpful...