PDA

View Full Version : seaking/turnigy 180 smoked on 2nd run...

shartinspartin
11-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I finally got to test out my seaking/t-180. First run went perfect. Had voltage sensors and temp sensors running from my new fs-it4 rx. Never saw temps over 70 degrees f. Hit lvd came in and put her on the stand. Ran my motley crew for a pack and it died on the lake. I then went back to my spartan in hopes of saving my mc. Plugged in the first 3s pack then the 2nd. As I plugged in the last bullet, smoke instantly started pouring out of the esc with an unforgettable smell. I instantly unplugged it and hopped in the 40 degree water to get my mc =(

I was running this in a spartan and it mightve gotten wet... Maybe maybe not, im unsure. I thought this esc was waterproof though?

I had the timing set to 0 i think and I found out that the turnigy 4082 1500 kv should be ran at 15 degrees. Could that have caused the problem?

kendt
11-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Timing wouldnt cause it to blow when you plug it in. It would show up when you are running. Very few if any esc are 100% WP so if it did get wet that could def cause an instant short.The problem also may have happened at the end of the run when you thought it was the lvc. I have two of them that have been nothing but headaches. It could be that it was just a dud.

lenny
11-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Post some pictures of the setup and the packs that you used in the hull like it was rtr,
Also what prop did you use and how long did it run ?
How was it running before lvc kicked in, Wet, Dry, Speeds, Have any video's ?

shartinspartin
11-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Timing wouldnt cause it to blow when you plug it in. It would show up when you are running. Very few if any esc are 100% WP so if it did get wet that could def cause an instant short.The problem also may have happened at the end of the run when you thought it was the lvc. I have two of them that have been nothing but headaches. It could be that it was just a dud.

yes it couldve... well it probably got wet... i was using either spc, g-force, or zippy lipos. I know when the smoke happened i was using 5000 mah 40c 3s g-force lipos. I used the prop Ive always used... the kintec cnc one thats like stock. It was running fine. Kept up with the stock spartan on 6s still... I cant remember the run time... Maybe 5 min

shartinspartin
01-17-2014, 04:25 AM
Hey guys. So I went to take a video for hk customer service. The esc was working normal. I even took it to a pond and ran a pack thru it. WTH?

Can someone explain this to me?

Wetter
01-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Puff the magic dragon? :Praying:?
that's wild i wish i knew.
some one here has had to of gone through this to chime in with some admirable knowledge.
hopefully it will last.
have you tried programming the esc to see if it takes a new command?

shartinspartin
01-17-2014, 04:52 AM
No i havent

jkr
01-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Are you sure the smoke came from the esc?

What connectors you use on motor-esc-lipo?

jaike5
01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Once again somebody is going out after a toy boat, in fridgid water no less ....WTF! Fishing pole with a pepsi ball, wait for the wind, retrieve boat.

shartinspartin
01-17-2014, 05:44 PM
It was like 5 ft out.... Im not worried

shartinspartin
01-17-2014, 05:45 PM
im using 5.5 mm bullets. Yes the smoke smelled like burnt esc

kfxguy
01-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Two words. Recovery boat! Why do you not have one? Huh? Its worth its weight in gold. Especially when the water is that cold.

I had a turnigy esc smoke on me like that and start working again. I definately don't trust it. If I do use it again I will have a recovery with me so no worries. Hopefully it doesnt catch fire lol.

jkr
01-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Do you use external pack to power the reciever or the bec from the esc?

I'm curius to know how this happen and after it works lke nothink happened.

shartinspartin
01-17-2014, 06:26 PM
I had an inflatable boat with me. I popped it jumping in it. I figured since i was already wet I might as well go the extra yard and get my boat

shartinspartin
01-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Two words. Recovery boat! Why do you not have one? Huh? Its worth its weight in gold. Especially when the water is that cold.

I had a turnigy esc smoke on me like that and start working again. I definately don't trust it. If I do use it again I will have a recovery with me so no worries. Hopefully it doesnt catch fire lol.

When it smoked did it get wet?

ray schrauwen
01-18-2014, 10:21 AM
This is what I was thinking. You burnt out the BEc maybe??

Maybe he used the external pack with the BEC? I know when you swap one part out like an esc for 2 boats "stuff" can happen. You are better off with 2 esc's instead of swapping them out of your boats. Do you do throttle re-calibrations every time you swap the esc into another boat?

Do you use external pack to power the reciever or the bec from the esc?

I'm curius to know how this happen and after it works lke nothink happened.

TristanJones
01-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Ive had hobbyking stuff smoke like it was all over and keep going for ages, never any of the boat gear, that either explodes or works, in my experience.
The ESC that did it to me was one of the early turbo trackstar ones, the 120A. Same thing happened to 2 other mates also, they didnt get wet and had full function afterwards. (one of them is still being raced on some 9 months later)
Im calling black magic, or extra smoke fitted from factory.

shartinspartin
01-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Im not using the esc for 2 boats. Just the spartan. I was running no external bec and yes it was on 6s

Wetter
01-18-2014, 09:47 PM
will it program noticeably to a different setting?, i ask to see if the ESC is still capable?
that to me would be somethn', it could not be do to if it where a major problem, but i only ask.
Where is Doc or Chopper ?
Hell i want to know, if it happens to me.:confused1:

Spartanator
03-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Mine blew up the other day, it is being replaced free of charge! I think I charmed the Seaking repair team! Lol anyways mine smoked but it got wet 2 days before, I did let it sit in the sun for two days but guess it didn't help!