PDA

View Full Version : New to RC boating ...few questions on the Revolt 30

alexchen86
11-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Well I'm in the process of making sure all the hardware is nice and snug. Any hardware that is metal on metal will receive a little blue Loctite.

I have Grims speed grease for the prop and tons of lipos. This is my first RC boat but I've been doing full custom 1:10 to 1:5 builds electric and gas 2 stroke for years...

Now everything I own is brushless gave up on gas and nitro. Too far of a drive to run custom 1/5 gas beasts plus it ends up being pretty much who's got the biggest motor....not about who's the best driver.

Now moving onto boating...tried flying didn't like it. So Revolt any upgrades I should do right out of the box? I have a hitec 5645 digital servo just laying around.

What's the most common specs for rudder servos? Esc and motor I guess are fine until I learn how to boat first.

lenny
11-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi. :tiphat:

Check the boat over good for motor alinement to flex and bad glue jobs on the wood trays,
Also I would put 5.5 bullet connector all the way to the cells for a lot less resistance in the setup.
From what I have read the stock flex shaft is a weak link in the setup,
And lots of members have lost nice props from it braking.
So a upgrade is a must down the line.

I do not have one of these boat yet but have lots of others that I have tested and modded some.

Try doing a search to on hear find good info that you need and ideas to,
Sometimes it works a lot faster for you than waiting for others.

Hear some good info and video links. :thumbup1:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?34214-Might-want-to-start-a-new-Fourm-Topic!-New-from-AquaCraft!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?35036-My-Test-Results

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?37842-Aquacraft-Revolt-59-15mph-speed-run-6S-LiPo-STOCK-motor-(video)

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?37333-This-is-a-crazy-revolt-video-(must-see)!!!!!!!!!!!!

AustinWolv
11-11-2013, 08:13 AM
12+ runs on my Revolt. Stock flex is ok so far, but I had already have the OSE upgrade one here just in case. Running stock motor and ESC with 4S packs. Switched to HiTec waterproof servo after the original acted up.

Just read through this subforum, lots of good tips within.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?42852-Help-I-Need-More-Cheap-Speed

siberianhusky
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Stock servo is "good enough" Some of mine are quite old and still working fine, I got my Motley Crew when they first came out and it still has the stock servo, been though some really bad crashes that damaged the hull, bent a rudder in a blow over... My SV27 is the old original NIMH battery version, still the original servo.
I run a number of brands of servo, generally whatever the hobby shop has in stock that is metal gear and ball bearing. JR, Hitec, Spektrum....
Don't really need a waterproof servo. If your boat is full of water you more than likely aren't going to be worried about the servo considering you probably just smoked an esc possibly the motor and a smaller chance your batteries and maybe a receiver if it isn't a waterproof version. But hey you've still got a servo!
Those traxxas servos aren't bad by any stretch, about the same quality as what you are replacing, for the same price you can do better in a non waterproof servo.

AustinWolv
11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Perhaps I'm lucky in that I've gotten a couple boats filled with water. One was underwater for a week at a public lake and figured it was lost, only to get a call 1.5 weeks later that someone found it and was kindly returning it -> everything worked from that boat except the servo and the battery. ESC, Rx, and motor run fine. Filled a Revolt due to a slice in a water line.........ESC, motor, Rx, and battery packs good to go. That servo didn't make it either.

Stock servo is definitely fine and good to go, especially to start with, but if it goes, it goes.

BHChieftain
11-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi,
I have a setup and running guide for that boat which also has a lot of good tips on upgrades and prop selection. It is a word doc, if you send me your email I can send you a copy.
Chief
jqhydro@gmail.com

alexchen86
11-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Stock servo is "good enough" Some of mine are quite old and still working fine, I got my Motley Crew when they first came out and it still has the stock servo, been though some really bad crashes that damaged the hull, bent a rudder in a blow over... My SV27 is the old original NIMH battery version, still the original servo.
I run a number of brands of servo, generally whatever the hobby shop has in stock that is metal gear and ball bearing. JR, Hitec, Spektrum....
Don't really need a waterproof servo. If your boat is full of water you more than likely aren't going to be worried about the servo considering you probably just smoked an esc possibly the motor and a smaller chance your batteries and maybe a receiver if it isn't a waterproof version. But hey you've still got a servo!
Those traxxas servos aren't bad by any stretch, about the same quality as what you are replacing, for the same price you can do better in a non waterproof servo.

Well the reason I ask is because I don't know approximately how much torque and speed transit time I need.

I run the gambit of high speed Savox steel gear and high monstrous torque over 300 must be hitec titanium.

On a 30" boat what sort of torque is a rule of thumb and transit speed?

Thanks