PDA

View Full Version : Servo's

jamie
11-05-2013, 12:02 AM
What does everyone run? Any favorite's or models that you have had good reliability with? Just asking to get an idea on what's out there thanks.

rickwess
11-05-2013, 12:31 AM
I personally like Hitec. The HS-5646WP is waterproof, digital, metal gear, high torque and relatively inexpensive.

J Solinger
11-05-2013, 01:58 AM
I've used mostly futaba but also use hitec and jr. I haven't had any of these fail yet. It seems to be more of a matter of getting one that isn't underpowered.

Fluid
11-05-2013, 08:36 AM
It isn't always just about power. Digital servos are an advantage with larger heavier boats. Other club members and I have occasionally had control issues with non-digital servos, since the analogs don't have a strong centering action. This can lead to hooking and poor directional control. In every case, switching to a digital servo of the same strength solved that problem.

BTW a club member who bought a high-end "waterproof" servo had it fail the first time it got wet - go figure. The solution of course is not to have a wet boat, which seems pretty basic.

madmikepags
11-05-2013, 08:14 PM
FUTABA or HiTec for me, Futaba in cars and boats and HiTecs in my planes, I've used thousands and thousands of servos over the years. and have never gotten a bad Futaba or Hitec servo off the shelf. I've had brand new Airtronics servos cost me races and equipment and recently I've used some Savox servos that I like but I've bought about 50 or so savox servos and have gotten 2 bad ones right out of the box,( Thats 4% bad inventory) and If I had to guess i would say I've bought over 2000 futabas over the years and have never gotten a bad one out of the box.

Don't skimp on your servo, the more power (TQ) the better. Speed isn't that importnt in boats but I always go for the fastest and strongest servo I can, that comes from decades af compettitive car racing. If I feel a servo is too fast i slow it down on the transmitter. If you're spending a lot of $$$ on a boat get a good servo don't skimp. And Yes DIGITAL is the way to go especially if you have a digital radio!!!!!

jamie
11-06-2013, 08:56 AM
How about where space is limited needing the use of a smaller servo?

madmikepags
11-06-2013, 09:28 AM
depends on the size off the boat but there are many small servos availablle from all manufacturers to suit needs.

properchopper
11-06-2013, 11:49 AM
How about where space is limited needing the use of a smaller servo?

Savox has a nice selection of minis and micros

I was recently challenged to fit one into a Mini-Sniper for a customer's boat. The mini mount needed to be re-done to get the micro in place

jamie
11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Interesting thanks :smile:
Its just something that Ive noticed about this hobby that doesn't seem to get much discussion, yet its a pretty important part i would think.

T.S.Davis
11-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I used all Hitec for years. I've recently given Savox a shot just due to the torque to dollar ratio. So far so good but I haven't got a lot of laps on any of them yet.

It's all about the torque I think. If you have enough and the servo stays dry you wont have problems.