PDA

View Full Version : My steerable outdrive rigger project :-)

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Hello everybody:tiphat:

So L8rg8r stopped by the other day, and dropped off this rigger for me.
Its a 21" nqd arrow-wind, which is a Chinese clone of the Graupner silver bullet. Rick was going to run a stinger on it, but I want to try something more original :banana:

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 01:02 AM
The original drive gear in this thing was junk, even the stuff tube was crooked. Rick ripped it all out and junked it. He mounted an aluminum block outback for the stinger, but that was as far as he got with is other projects :-) .

I was wanting to go with some mini hardware, .380 brushless, .130 flex and a nice prop. I started doing some research and looking at the junk I have laying around, and I thought, why not put a steerable out drive on it, rather than a stinger/rudder or strut/rudder setup ? :biggrin:.

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 01:10 AM
I am working on this off and on, mainly using parts I have laying around to see if its a workable setup, before I start putting funds into it. If its not going to work out alright, I can scrap it & go with my original idea, based on Diegoboy's arrow-wind :biggrin:. I'll bring you up to speed so you can see where I am at :tt2:

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 01:27 AM
The tub on this thing is a 2 piece upper & lower unit, with a tongue and groove design. I separated it and filled the groove with cement, and screwed it back together. Now the tub is 1 piece and the seam is water tight. After it sat up overnight I filled all the screw holes and finished off where the stuff tube was cut out. :cool:

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 01:46 AM
I am working on mocking up a drive setup, before I seal everything up, prime it and give it a paint job. I mounted up a 12t double motor. Took a traxxas drive line, cut the threads off the yokes & cut the slip shafts in half. I took a solid coupler and drilled out 1 side to accept the yoke shaft, then cut down a villain stuffing tube & bearings for the other yoke shaft....... :banana:

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 02:05 AM
I cut down a length of stuffing tube, and drilled out 2:bushings with a uni-bit to accept the yoke shaft. It mocked up alright :cool:. Now I need to find the correct bearing size for the yoke, then the right size stuff tube for the bearings.

I think there's just enough room outback to mount a rudder tab and still have room for adjustment and good angle on the u-joint. The design is looking feasible, but I am pretty sure I'll need to replace the servo with a micro, but I'll see where it goes from here. What do he'll think so far ?....... :tt2:

srislash
10-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Mmm, I am curious how this turns out.

gsbuickman
10-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, me to Slash :cool:. I was going to do a build similar to Diegoboys, but their are a lot of threads with guys complaining about cramming a conventional drive on a rigger, on the interweb.

I looked everywhere but I never found a steerable out drive rigger, so I decided to throw one together with spare parts from my villain build, just to see what I come up with ;). If its a workable design, it would be the best of both worlds & be analternative to conventional drives :thumbup1:.

I got a box from tower hobbies this morning, so I can continue my Villain :biggrin:

srislash
10-30-2013, 04:10 PM
I also have a set of steerable out drive here that I can't decide where to put.