PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof servo

T.S.Davis
10-26-2013, 09:47 PM
I had been using Savox already but I bought a new one for my 1/8 scale over the weekend.

http://www.savoxusa.com/Waterproof_Servos_s/72.htm

I picked up the SW-1210SG. 277 oz of torque, standard size, and waterproof. Seems to good to be true.

Seems smooth but I haven't put it on the water yet. I let ya know how it works.

flraptor07
10-26-2013, 11:00 PM
I had been using Savox already but I bought a new one for my 1/8 scale over the weekend.

http://www.savoxusa.com/Waterproof_Servos_s/72.htm

I picked up the SW-1210SG. 277 oz of torque, standard size, and waterproof. Seems to good to be true.

Seems smooth but I haven't put it on the water yet. I let ya know how it works.

That's the servo I've been using, That one and the SW0231MG 208oz. got one in my Genesis, and the 44" Hyper Hydro I just built and I'm putting one in my Popeye when it gets here. I've been using nothing but Savox for years in every thing I build SCTs, Buggies and all. I've always had good luck with them, only time I ever destroyed one was from pure abuse. I was seeing how far I could jump a SCT, made it 62' :scared::flashfire:

oscarel
10-27-2013, 07:15 AM
I just picked up an SV1270TG which is advertised as waterproof also, but not in the waterproof line.

This is the Savox SV-1270TG Digital High Voltage "Monster Torque" Titanium Gear Servo-savsv1270tg.

Features:
•Extremely powerful for its size pushing 486.1 oz-in torque.
•Super strong and precision made titanium gears provide high level of durability that will survive heavy use.
•Coreless motor brings output performance to the top level – smoother, faster, and more efficient.
•Special design for high voltage native 2s LiPo operation.
•Water-proof with 4 silicon seals.
•Our servos are totally green – from materials to production, these servos are environmentally friendly.
•Ideal for large-scale airplane, jet, and 1/5th scale surface

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
Weight(g): 56
Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .14
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 361.1
Speed(@7.4V sec/60): .11
Torque(@7.4V oz-in): 487.7
Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Aluminum
25 Tooth Spline

kevinpratt823
10-27-2013, 08:20 AM
I have 14 Savox servos and will never buy another one after dealing with their lackluster product/customer support. One of my servos had a broken flange on the inner casing, which the main gear/bearing rides on, causing excessive slop/wobble, but otherwise the servo was working fine in the car. I had no recpt and the RMA form would not submit without adding a recpt, so I emailed them. Likely a very inexpensive part, I explained it in detail, but nonetheless they told me it was not available to purchase for replacement, he told me to send it in and "he would take care of it". Then they sent me the emails stating the cost would be $63, and another $35 for the 1258 I sent them. After a few frustrating emails I told them to send them back as is. Then they tried to justify it by saying the PCB board needed to be replaced etc., even though one of thier first emails stated that they couldn't find the break I spoke of and ran tests and it seemed to be working fine. In comparison, I recently sent in a 4 yr. old Hitec that stopped working with no recpt. I got it back in very short time, with a replaced motor. No questions, no hassle. Product support goes a long way with me.

Wetter
10-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Hitec HS-5646WP High Voltage Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo.
picked this up to put in one of my boats as soon as one takes a drink:smile:

rickwess
10-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Looks like a great servo. What would be too good to be true if it was 2/3 the price.

How much torque do you need on a boat (serious question from a relative noob)? I can see something like this in a 1/8 or 1/5 buggy or truck though.

Hitec HS-5646WP High Voltage Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo.
picked this up to put in one of my boats as soon as one takes a drink:smile:
At C$57, It's what I'll keep using.

ray schrauwen
10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
I guess I've been lucky with cheap servos and have only had 2 fail in 10 years.

oscarel
10-27-2013, 02:07 PM
How much torque do you need on a boat (serious question from a relative noob)? I can see something like this in a 1/8 or 1/5 buggy or truck though.

Depends on what you're running it in. I'd say get as much as you can. I race everything from 30" Revolt to 46" hydro. Most of them have the Hitec HS-5646WP except for the hydro and a 46" mono, they needed more and they have HS-7954SH. I'm going to try the Savox SV-1270TG in a new Blazer Backlash I'm building.

T.S.Davis
10-27-2013, 03:02 PM
I bought the 277oz servo for a 20 pound scale. That boat is a rhinoceros.

They had a cheaper version that will be more than enough for nearly everything else I own. $50ish I think.

You guys running opc should think about a torqy servo too.

mattmak
10-27-2013, 07:43 PM
I had my eye on the Savox SW-0231MG and SW-1210SG for a while now and decided on the $44 one until I randomly found the better one on sale today locally.

One thing I've come to be annoyed by, and you don't see in the specs, is lash in the servos' drive train. I hope the Savox will solve some wobble on my OPC. It seems very nice only bench testing it so far.

NativePaul
10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
I use High torque servos on all my boats as I don't see the need for high servo speed on an oval with a good handling boat. so I wold rather have the extra torwue and lower current draw that comes from a lower geared high torque servo.

Any servo can be made waterproof, follow the link in my signature for a how too article, if you don't know how.

T.S.Davis
10-27-2013, 09:51 PM
WHAT! A slower servo? Why..........that could take a full 5 seconds to respond. I'm kidding.

I like the torque too. I changed my Q over to a high torque servo. Savox in there too. I think it holds a turn better.

Shooter
10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Great find. I've been using savox for my buggies. Never knew they offered a waterproof version. Thanks!

T.S.Davis
10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Larry's had em. I need another one already.

I should have the Carretero done by our club meeting next weekend. Weeeeeeee

Snowride
10-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I have had extremely good luck with this HK unit. Use it in my Savage flux and all my boats. Had only one failure in several years due to poor water proofing on a unit. Basically a Blue Bird unit. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9441__Turnigy_620DMG_HS_High_Torque_Digital_Serv o_MG_10_6kg_13sec_52g.html and for a couple of $ more they have this one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9440__BMS_660DMG_HS_Super_Strong_Digital_Servo_M G_14_2kg_17sec_52g.html

T.S.Davis
10-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Smok'n deal for 190oz servo.

Snowride
10-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Speaking of servos, is there really any need for digital or is analog more than sufficient in boats? I can understand the precision required in a heli but in a boat the control does not have to be lightning quick and IMHO may even hinder. Thoughts?

Reason I ask is I have been looking at this 197 oz waterproof servo for $8. :scared: Metal geared with dual ball bearings. Cheaper than replacing a gear on some of the high dollar units. Only thing is the speed is .22 which I really do not see as a problem on a boat. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42835__H_King_High_Torque_Metal_Geared_Ball_Bear ing_Waterproof_Servo_58g_12_8kg_cm_0_22s_60_USA_wa rehouse_.html