PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Inlay for Revolt 30 FE - worth the effort/cost?

fox88gt
10-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I've been debating if I want to have a CF inlay done in my Revolt. The cost isn't bad (shipping is a little harsh), and I'm a little nervous about doing it myself in case I mess it up. Do you guys think its necesary on a Revolt? Obviously the extra strength (and the bling factor) are my "pros" for wanting to have this done.

siberianhusky
10-17-2013, 03:46 PM
IMO not worth it, it's plenty strong enough for the stock setup, if you are planning on upgrades for more speed I'd start with a better quality hull.
They are built to a price point intended to run the stock setup, all you would do is find the next weakest part of the hull.
I ended up putting the stock setup back into my Motley Crew before I did any more damage to it, couldn't handle the blow overs at the speeds I was hitting. The Revolt isn't any thicker a layup than the motley.

Bduncan
10-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Revolt fine without fiber. Ran mine with bigger motor on 5s. Never had a problem. Invest in hatchock system to avoid batteries poping the hatch off. Tape wont hold it without.

Rocstar
10-17-2013, 06:20 PM
In case you were wondering what it would look like....I did one for a friend before upgrading it.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n454/tofly95/null_zps74a2dc4b.jpg
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n454/tofly95/null_zps8447c439.jpg

JLShip
10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
It's not worth it...............IMO

Rocstar
10-17-2013, 08:13 PM
This one was getting a Neu 1415 1.5Y and without rails the additional reinforcement was justified.:wink:

longballlumber
10-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey Joel,

That looks nice, do you have any tips or tricks to getting a correct size and finish laying carbon into a hull like this? I did one but mine didn't turn out half as nice. I don't like working with this carbon stuff.

Later
Mike Ball

Chilli
10-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Jeff, Does the boat really need it.. No. But it would be a good experience if you decide to really want to get into the hobby. The extra weight won't hurt.

Mike, My tips for laying carbon down. Use a piece of paper to get make a template of how you want the CF cut. Use really sharp scissors to cut the cloth. Obviously you want to hand the CF as little as possible so the edges don't unravel. Roughen up the inside of the hull and brush in some finishing epoxy where the CF will be laid down. Don't worry if it's a little uneven or pooled. Carefully lay the cloth in the boat and gently get her in the proper position. I usually first press down in the center, then along the keel and then up the sides. I'll then press the CF into the creases and voids and hold it for a few seconds until it gets saturated with epoxy and holds in place. Then I'll blot some more epoxy in the thin spots where the cloth is not saturated. Then I take a mini foam touch up roller that I got from the paint store and start rolling the CF cloth. The roller will spread the epoxy evenly and soak up the excess without pulling the cloth out of alignment. Start from the keel and work you way up the sides to remove any bubbles. Dab some more epoxy in areas that are not saturated and go over it again with the roller. That's about it. The foam roller is my secret weapon. Others may do it differently the this method works like a charm for me. I've done about a dozen boats like this and have always been happy with the results. Hope this helps.

Rocstar
10-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey Joel,

That looks nice, do you have any tips or tricks to getting a correct size and finish laying carbon into a hull like this? I did one but mine didn't turn out half as nice. I don't like working with this carbon stuff.

Later
Mike Ball
Mike, my way is similar to Chilli's, except I use the dry method. I make a paper template that I use to cut out my cloth. I then lay the cloth on the prepped surface first, then I wet out the cloth. You have to be careful not to use too much resin this way by spreading it thin and allowing it to soak through the cloth. I then use a grooved metal roller to smooth out the cloth and a squeegee to remove excess resin. When using woven cloth I usually do two layers where the patterns are laid in different orientations.

4sdash
10-17-2013, 11:14 PM
rockstar22 that boat came out beautiful any difference in the way it handles

Bduncan
10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
If you can cut with scissors, paint, and read you can lay fiber in a rc boat. You tube probably has 100 instructional videos. While not nec in a revolt, certainly wont hurt.

Mike Caruso
10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
This one was getting a Neu 1415 1.5Y and without rails the additional reinforcement was justified.:wink:

Hey Sweet job on the carbon inlay. How fast did that hull run with the NEU 1415 ?
TIA

Cinnabun
10-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Where are you all getting the cf cloth from, and how big of a piece do I need to do the revolt?

Bduncan
10-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Ebay has small quantities as well as resin and hardener for a given quantity

Chilli
10-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I get mine from ebay also.

Cinnabun
10-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Can someone link me?

martin
10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Another tip I found to be invaluable is before cutting the carbon cloth put sellotape onto the cloth & then cut around your paper template, so you end up with 1/8" of sellotape all the way around the edge of the carbon piece you have cut out. This holds the carbon from moving around & also stops the edges freying, the tape stays on the carbon with the cloth being put into the hull with the tape on the back side of the cloth so you cant see the tape.

martin
10-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Theirs heaps of small amounts on Ebay, just put in carbon fibre cloth. Personally I go for 2x2 twill 3k, you can also get plain weave but I find twill goes around shapes better.

Bduncan
10-18-2013, 04:07 PM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=221130555391

Rocstar
10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey Sweet job on the carbon inlay. How fast did that hull run with the NEU 1415 ?
TIA
Mike, we never put the GPS on it but it looked like it was pushing 60 mph.

Bduncan
10-19-2013, 12:53 PM
re holding carbon fiber in place when cutting. I put a thin bead of superglue around perimeter i am cutting.

Mike Caruso
10-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Mike, we never put the GPS on it but it looked like it was pushing 60 mph.

Nice and thanks Joel

Bduncan
11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
I ran mine with a 1515 1y castle om 4s without any fiber. I did reinforce mounts with
West marine epoxy.

Bduncan
11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I think solid hatch locks are more important than fiber in the hull if you are building a legit 50+mph revolt.

Rocstar
11-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I think solid hatch locks are more important than fiber in the hull if you are building a legit 50+mph revolt.
If you install hatch bolts, the hatch should be reinforced....

Bduncan
11-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Fair enough

skeeler
07-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Rocstar,

Any secrets to getting the epoxied-on velcro and servo mount out of the stock Revolt hull before laying the carbon fiber?

Also, I recently browsed through your photo albums. Very nice work.