PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 - bushing question - 1st post!

4mulafastech
09-29-2013, 11:32 AM
I started the same thread in the general forum, so please go here:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?43652-Revolt-30-bushing-question-1st-post!

I have been doing a lot of reading on OSE. Great forum and I am so glad I found it! I decided to get my first FE mono hull, a Revolt 30. I am very happy with the performance. I have S&B the stock prop and the larger 45x68 GrimRacer prop. I have tweaked the strut height, trim tabs and turn fins. Awesome performance and really flys with the bigger prop!

Now the question. I have upgraded the flex shaft and I noticed I lost some speed. Brough it in and saw that the bushing backed out of the strut and was touching the drive dog. The instuctions state to have 4-5mm distance from the drive dog to the strut. The larger diameter of the bushing is only 3mm long and the picture shows the drive dog 4mm from the strut. This situation will allow a lot of wobble and I believe was the cause for the slower speeds. I have read on here that the bushing is a 'floating' design and should spin in both the strut and around the cable. What is the solution here? Should I run with the drive dog closer to the strut, like 2mm to prevent the bushing from backing out too far? Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

I also included a pic of my Revolt 30 and GrimRacer prop balancer.

fox88gt
10-16-2013, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't move the shaft any closer to the strut, in fact I would move it out to 5mm clearance. Any closer to the strut will certainly bind the flexshaft under hard load. This is a strange situation, as I have the same boat and just upgraded to the same shaft and I swear the boat got faster with no other changes. Granted, I did install the new teflon liner that came with the shaft. I removed my old liner and cut the new one to the same length, then installed it. A few things to check: stuffing tube alignment with the motor collet. This shaft seems a bit pickier than the stock shaft regarding the alignment here. Also, do you grease the bushing before you install it? I grease the bushing, install it, then grease the cable and install it. This always seems to keep the bushing in the strut, right where I left it. The bushing is a floating design and needs to be able to move back and forth a bit to cope with the flex shaft "shrinking" under hard load. You may want to check inside the bushing for any burrs or scratches that could cause the shaft to "grab" onto it. Hope this helps, we'll figure this thing out:beerchug: