PDA

View Full Version : HANDLING ISSUES with the Miss Geico, Mystic, or BJ29?? Please discuss them here!

Darin Jordan
09-26-2013, 04:43 PM
I have heard from several people from across the country that they have some issues with the handling of the Pro Boat Miss G, Mystic, and BJ29's...

Seems they can't make them turn? Seems that some also have trouble with them "tripping" and rolling on corner exit. Then, there is the "bouncing"?

I'd like to better understand these issues and would like to try to help.

While I have experienced the "tripping" issue, I have also been able to tune it out and I have no "bouncing" to speak of. Perhaps a little bit of tip occilation, but that's usually at slower speeds and in race water. I have never had an issue making any of these turn, stock, or modified. They turn on a dime from what I've experienced, so if you are having this as an issue, let's talk about it and figure out how to get you setup and moving in the right direction!

This may also help me to provide good quality feedback to Pro Boat for future improvements.

Please keep it respectful and friendly. Any bashing will just be ignored. I just want to try to help if I can.

Thanks!

TheShaughnessy
09-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I got a weird one I'm working on. Ill include a link to a vid of it running. I've never had a turning problem in the past, my other two hulls turned on rails. Both of those were early version geicos. Then I picked up a mystic hull from a forum member and this sucker just slides around the turn. I'm having the most trouble with tripping in turn 2 ( exit of turn 1)

It had some minor damage on the sponson tips but it was a fairly easy fix.
Next I focused on blue printing the sponsons. I ended up pulling the battery trays out and adding a couple layers of woven glass because I pretty much sanded through the rear pad. It sits perfectly flat on my set up board, which is a piece of granite scrap from a sink cut out. I used some spray adhesive to stick two sheets of 125 grit to the non polished side of the granite and found that works pretty well.

However I some how ended up with my right sponson having 0 dihedral and my left one must have about 3 degrees.
Also I offset my strut to try n counter act prop walk but I think I may have over done it. Its 4 mm closer to the right sponson. My rudder is a lil different then a stock boat as well, ill add some pics in a bit to better explain.

Others have suggested adding a skeged strut but I don't think that is the answer. I'm also running a bigger prop then most.

Here is th vid http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_nsKle9bM

Cinnabun
09-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Mine turns really well for a cat. I'm was very surprised. Blue printed the sponsons and squared up the back of the sponsons. With an offset rudder, mine turns very nice.

I experience very little bounce getting up to speed, once at speed she's pretty smooth.

TheShaughnessy
09-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Pics

In the video the rudder is tucked more. I started moving it back thinking it was lifting the stern too much and hoping it would settle the rear and help it track better. My prop has also been cupped just a tic since the vid. That made a noticeable difference in speed and seemed like it turned a bit better but not much

TheShaughnessy
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
More

TheShaughnessy
09-29-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm thinking about trying a fin bolted to the inside of the right sponson. Have some scrap 1/8th inch AL to play with. Any idea on a starting point for depth and width. Want to make it as small as possible but effective. Thinking like 1 inch deep and 2 long.

Or should I start somewhere else like centering the strut ?

Paging Darin Jordan . Hello Darin.