PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the SeaKing 180amp esc

spanky17
09-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I was wondering if I could use some brush on electrical tape that I have to cover the solder points on the underside of my SK 180 esc's. I would also like to put some on the top side were the wires that run to the RX are soldered up. Would this help with waterproofing them a bit, the product I use is made for covering electrical wires and is non conductive so I cant see it hurting anything. What do you think, would help or is it not really necessary and just a waste of time. I also wonder if doing it would void my warranty as these are brand new from OSE. I just ordered 2 Leo 4074 1650kv motors and some other parts for my boats and was looking for a project while waiting for them to arrive.

Fluid
09-20-2013, 09:57 PM
I hate to keep harping on this, but the solution is to have a dry boat. No amount of liquid tape will insure that the SK180 won't be damaged by water. Our club members who have learned to keep their boats dry have almost zero problems with decent-quality ESCs. Those who pour four ounces or water out of their boat after each run always seem to have "bad ESCs" along with radio issues. Water and ESCs just don't mix. Learn it, Live it, Love it. :wink:

spanky17
09-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks Fluid, I agree 110% about keeping it dry inside in the first place. I wont bother putting the stuff on it just in case it buggers up my warranty. As it is I have 6 rolls of tape on hand, I figure that should last me for the afternoon, lol just kidding.
I hate to keep harping on this, but the solution is to have a dry boat. No amount of liquid tape will insure that the SK180 won't be damaged by water. Our club members who have learned to keep their boats dry have almost zero problems with decent-quality ESCs. Those who pour four ounces or water out of their boat after each run always seem to have "bad ESCs" along with radio issues. Water and ESCs just don't mix. Learn it, Live it, Love it. :wink:

gsbuickman
09-21-2013, 12:05 AM
I agree with Fluid..... As a safety precaution, i pull the circuit boards out of my recievers & watsrproof them with spray on plasti-dip, it works awesome. I also like to mount my esc's & rx's on blocks of closed cell foam so they wont transfer water, in case a boat gets a leak in it. bettet safe than sorry .....

SirBudman32
09-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Spanky, I have two of the T-180 and they are both covered with the brush on electric tape. I even take the bottom of and coat the board inside as well then with the bottom back on I coat the hole outside of it to help seal it. Never had any problem with one when it does get wet and can be pulled off if need to be.

Snowride
09-21-2013, 07:45 AM
I have had good luck with my first one however it is the Turnigy 180 which I do believe is the same. I have had it completely submerged at least 15 times last year which means it was completely underwater for 5-10 minutes each time. this summer I dunked her again but not as lucky this time as it did finally take on water and die. I replaced it with a new one however I did apply silicone around the base where the lower case separates to make it really water tight. Obviously not getting anything wet is the answer however this is not always possible so a little extra prevention can make a difference.

On another note, I use a Traxxas Spartan waterproof receiver box which really is waterproof if you take the time to close it up properly and use a little lube on the cover o-ring. This is what it looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Spartan-VXL6S-Boat-WATERPROOF-RECEIVER-BOX-ANTENNAE-TUBE-tray-5707-/400575243569?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d44252531

I also use a waterproof servo like this. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9441__Turnigy_620DMG_HS_High_Torque_Digital_Serv o_MG_10_6kg_13sec_52g.html

I have had very good luck with everything even though I have had my boat underwater numerous times. Now if I could only figure out how to keep the prop facing the water I would fare much better. :lol:

flraptor07
09-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I have had good luck with my first one however it is the Turnigy 180 which I do believe is the same. I have had it completely submerged at least 15 times last year which means it was completely underwater for 5-10 minutes each time. this summer I dunked her again but not as lucky this time as it did finally take on water and die. I replaced it with a new one however I did apply silicone around the base where the lower case separates to make it really water tight. Obviously not getting anything wet is the answer however this is not always possible so a little extra prevention can make a difference.

On another note, I use a Traxxas Spartan waterproof receiver box which really is waterproof if you take the time to close it up properly and use a little lube on the cover o-ring. This is what it looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Spartan-VXL6S-Boat-WATERPROOF-RECEIVER-BOX-ANTENNAE-TUBE-tray-5707-/400575243569?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d44252531

I also use a waterproof servo like this. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9441__Turnigy_620DMG_HS_High_Torque_Digital_Serv o_MG_10_6kg_13sec_52g.html

I have had very good luck with everything even though I have had my boat underwater numerous times. Now if I could only figure out how to keep the prop facing the water I would fare much better. :lol:
Those little Traxxas boxes are the s--t I'm using them in all my boats. I tested one about a month ago, I sealed it up and submerged it in a 5gal bucket for a week and not one drop leaked in!!

spanky17
09-21-2013, 06:08 PM
You guys are right about the Traxxas receiver boxes, I have them in my brushless E Revo and Summit and they work great. It's funny how the RC car/truck world has waterproof receivers and esc's like the new Mamba monster unit but the RC boating world does not. You would think that something made to run on water would have that stuff built in from the start.

jetnfast
09-21-2013, 10:34 PM
You guys are right about the Traxxas receiver boxes, I have them in my brushless E Revo and Summit and they work great. It's funny how the RC car/truck world has waterproof receivers and esc's like the new Mamba monster unit but the RC boating world does not. You would think that something made to run on water would have that stuff built in from the start.

The Traxxas Spartan uses the same waterproof receiver box.