PDA

View Full Version : Revolt motor mounts

erickyam
09-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Just got my new flex shaft and aeromarine collect today. The collect is huge compared to the stock. It fit nice but when I put the motor on, the stock holes on the motor mount would not align. The back two holes stay practically in the air as I had to move the motor back because of the longer collect. Should I cut the shaft tube? Would water come up the shaft if I make it shorter? Please help.

Cinnabun
09-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Looks like the collet is either too long, or the shaft is wrong/too long

Phoebe
09-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Did you put it back in upside down?

BigDave
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
No problem shortening the tube. Cut in small increments until you get the desired gap between the collet and tube. Too big of a gap can cause problems. After cutting check alignment and bend tube accordingly. Should not see any increase in water leaking in from the tube. Keep your flex shaft well greased. If you have water coming in from the tube try this

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?17774-Seal-that-stuffing-tube-with-a-Vacum-plug-!!

tlandauer
09-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Just got my new flex shaft and aeromarine collect today. The collect is huge compared to the stock. It fit nice but when I put the motor on, the stock holes on the motor mount would not align. The back two holes stay practically in the air as I had to move the motor back because of the longer collect. Should I cut the shaft tube? Would water come up the shaft if I make it shorter? Please help.
Wait a minute!
Before your stuffing tube goes under the knife, have you measured the length of the stock collet vs. the AeroMarine one? Octura makes a short version and I have used it in a few of my RTR boats w/o issues. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe5mm15S
if you are using this AeroMarine: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=aero-coupler, then it is 8mm longer!
Also did you get the RTR up grade cable? it should have been measured correctly.
BTW: these 3-piece collets are nice but they have their drawbacks, over time the insert will deform and it makes it very difficult to remove the cable. If I were you I will gladly buy another Octura Short collet and see if the problem will go away. At $10.00 it is a lot cheaper than to risk an operation, even consider the additional postage.
JMO.

Cinnabun
09-17-2013, 08:25 AM
I used an octura collet and it fits with no issue.

erickyam
09-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Just going to order the octura collect and save me the work, it was my first choice but went with the aeromarine.

siberianhusky
09-17-2013, 11:33 AM
My SV, Motley Crew and the UL-1 motor in my limited hydro all have the stock Aquacraft collets still, never had any problems with them to require a replacement. I think they aren't too bad. If/when they go I'll just use an Octura short collet, run them in a couple other boats with no issues either.
Don't like those 3 piece collets, two of my buddies used them and had to fight to get the cable out all the time. Think they would be much better if the insert was steel instead of brass.

Cinnabun
09-17-2013, 11:57 AM
If it were me, I would have ordered the .187 cable and the octura 5mm to .187 collet. Remove the teflon liner and you have a bulletproof flex drive.

siberianhusky
09-25-2013, 08:25 AM
No need for a .187 flex on one of these at all, not enough power, just added drag from the larger OD flex cable.

Cinnabun
09-25-2013, 09:34 AM
I broke my stock cable, and an ose .150 cable. My .187 runs flawless.

Mike Caruso
09-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Hughey .150" cable has been fine with teflon for a year anyway so far with Aeromarine collet.