PDA

View Full Version : spektrum sr200 on water?

driftah
09-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I saw somewhere that the sr200 receiver from spectrum will work on water? anyone using one in a boat or is this a load..... It only has the single short ant. not the dual one like an mr200 or 3000

eboat
09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I use the SR3000 in all my boats and it has the short ant wire with no troubles

Darin Jordan
09-16-2013, 01:16 PM
I saw somewhere that the sr200 receiver from spectrum will work on water? anyone using one in a boat or is this a load..... It only has the single short ant. not the dual one like an mr200 or 3000

While I have used the SR200 and the SR3100 on the water without any incidents, I have also witnessed them providing a VERY short operating range. I cannot, with good conscience, recommend these for any boat application. If you DO use them in a boat, take extreme care in the mounting, providing as MUCH antenna extension outside the hull and clear of any possible shielding components (tailfins, cowls, etc.) as possible.

Like I said, I ran the SR3100 in my Miss Elam for several years without a single radio issue, but I have also witnessed others having problems with very similar setups.

Safer to use the MR200. You can find them used here all the time. It's the RX that comes in all of the Pro Boat RTRs and it works excellent over water.

75zepol
09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
I agree with Darren. I get out about 50-60 feet and will have to hold the control over my head to get signal again. Use the marine receivers and make sure to set fail safe with the rudder turned in one direction or the other. This way if you have a run away the boat will go I circles , rather than take off and possibly hurt someone or destroy itself by running in to an object. Test the fail safe by turning off the Tx after you bind.

mgcrimson
09-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Darin - Is it okay when using the marine receivers like the mr200 to leave the antenna inside the cowl or would you recommend on these receivers to be outside as well?

tlandauer
09-16-2013, 08:42 PM
The SR200 also gave me a very short range, and that is on dry land!
I should let Darin answer your question out of respect to him since he is really the expert. So forgive me for jumping my gun here: I have done it both ways, using one antenna outside per the recommendation of Spektrum and also leaving both antenna INSIDE. However, I would not do it if your hull or hatch are in anyway CF reinforced, the CF will affect the signal.
I also tape one antenna under the hatch just before closing it for taping, so one is at least higher up above the water line. The only thing is you need to remember to take it easy when you open the hatch, DON'T yank it---you will pull that antenna out of its base!

Darin Jordan
09-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Darin - Is it okay when using the marine receivers like the mr200 to leave the antenna inside the cowl or would you recommend on these receivers to be outside as well?

I don't generally get a lot of time to just "sport boat", and most of my RC running is during racing situations, so I don't generally take a chance. However, on my Lynx, I do leave the main antenna just under the cowl, and haven't had an issue. Some of the 1/10th scale guys do as well.

The antenna are suppose to be approximately 90-degrees to each other, so what I've done is run one up the side of the boat, and the other across the back, or something like that...

Just for reference... on the Spektrum RX's... the "antenna" is actually just the last 31mm, or the stripped "silver" section. The rest of the coaxial cable provided (no, it's NOT just wire... do NOT solder to it!!) is to give you the ability to extent it wherever you need. As long as the silver tip section is not blocked, you are generally OK.

runzwithsizorz
09-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Funny, before converting to marine, I used a surface rx WITH telemetry INSIDE a *fiberglass* hull for 3 years, and had no trouble at 100 yards or more, EVER. ymmv

Darin Jordan
09-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Funny, before converting to marine, I used a surface rx WITH telemetry INSIDE a *fiberglass* hull for 3 years, and had no trouble at 100 yards or more, EVER. ymmv

I was in the same "boat"... but I've witnessed several other's "milage varying"... :) I'd prefer to spend the $45.00 or so to protect my $350.00+ investment... :)

mgcrimson
09-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Darin!