PDA

View Full Version : BJ29 teflon liner and flex shaff worn- looking for direction

champion221elite
09-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Guys, my BJ29 has been a dedicated 6s setup since almost day one. I have around 30 runs on the boat powered by 6s running an X442 with a 1500 kv Miss Geico motor. Lately I have been noticing a fair amount of water in my hull after a timed 4 minute run. It seems to originate where the stuffing tube terminates inside the hull.

Everything is taped up. Hoses are not leaking and all fittings are snug. I can leave the hull floating in my bathtub over night and everything is dry in the morning. I suspect that my oem flex shaft is starting to wear as well as the teflon liner.

Would it be best to simply replace the liner and upgrade to a Hughey cable, or can I increase the cable size to .187" and get rid of the teflon liner? Is it better to run a smaller cable with the liner, or go bigger and liner-less?

Eventually my plans are to install a Leopard 4082 motor and a Sea King 180 amp esc. Im wondering if the larger cable will stand up to the power a little better.

In case anybody is wondering, I use Hyperformance flex shaft grease and relube every 2-3 runs.

Fluid
09-05-2013, 07:06 AM
The cable does not wear enough to cause a leak, the teflon may. The easy fix is to slip a length of silicone fuel tubing over the inboard end of the stuffing tube so that it just touches the cable. This will stop most of the water entering up the tube.

martin
09-05-2013, 08:52 AM
The mod that Fluid shows should be standard issue done to all boats where possible, you also need to look at the other end of the stuffing tube where it joins the strut. You must seal this joint as the forward facing joint picks up water & is forced up into the boat via the stuffing tube, a good idea that some use is to put heat shrink tube over this joint.

champion221elite
09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys! I will do both of those little mods and see if it helps with my water intrusion.

martin
09-05-2013, 10:01 AM
When you do the inner mod make sure you use silcon tube that dosnt close down to tight onto the flex otherwise you put load on the motor & also heat the flex with to much friction. By sliding the silicon tube on further to the stuffing tube reduces the overhang of the silicon past the stuffing tube giving less close down of the silicon on the flex.

CHIEFY_44
09-22-2013, 04:14 AM
when you upgrade the motor I would pull the Teflon and use a 187 cable and no liner, I have a MG with a castle 1515 1y 2200kv and never had a problem now if your going to be changing between the stock motor and a bigger motor I would stay with the smaller shaft as I have had trouble with burning motors with the bigger shaft