PDA

View Full Version : spark

urbs00007
09-02-2013, 11:26 PM
currently running seaking 180 with leopard 4082 1600 on 6-s. very pleased with esc once i learned you have to turn off lvc. question, will the spark with connecting bullets harm the esc. it has the added caps by the way.

tlandauer
09-02-2013, 11:30 PM
No, it won't harm the ESC. The spark is your friend, telling you that the caps are working in proper order. It is another story if you hate the spark , you can use a spark arrester. http://kintecracing.com/Electrical.html Obviously there is a sales pitch to this link. I have a Schulze ESC and they stressed the importance of the presence of the spark.

gsbuickman
09-03-2013, 01:58 AM
I agree, but i've also seen spark paranoid people run a 2 way toggle switch, mounted to the side of the hull, to complete the circuit aftet they plug the bullets in.

jetnfast
09-03-2013, 08:36 AM
According to Castle Creations "the spark is your friend", check out this link, scroll all the way to the bottom...

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/faq/faq-phoenix_hv.html#hv3

Spark is good, it means everything is working. You can also buy spark arrestors to absorb the spark. Personally I would be leary of a 2 way switch, I see too many people, forget and leave that on after the run which then creates a slow drain...and death of a lipo.

oscarel
09-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Up to a certain voltage spark is ok, over 6s I would use a spark suppressor. I have an MGM HV controller and it comes with an alligator clip you attach first to prevent the spark.

Cooper
09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Depending on what controller but usually the spark upon connection is from charging the capacitors on initial voltage exchange. I like to see and hear that snap, let's me know everything is how it should be. If you plug in and spark then unplug and plug in again in short time you may not get a big spark as the caps are charged already-not a sign of not working. And if you are using esc with auto cell count, the spark arrestor may not read correctly- adjust manually (don't use auto detect with anti spark device). And remember its dc voltage not ac, it woulnt hurt you. (That is if you can handle minor flesh burn) lol!!! Really it's isn't a threat, just seems scary.