PDA

View Full Version : Miss Geico and Black Jack 29 mod questions...

Jaguar1
09-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I recently purchased both boats and I'm looking to modify them so I'm trying to put together a parts list on what I need and where to buy it and would appreciate some guidance and opinions.

1. What kind of 3s batteries are you running...brand ?, hard case or standard ?, mah and c rating and where to buy ? I already checked out HK for some hard case Nano's in the 5300 to 6300 MAH 50-100c range and they don't have anything. Are the hard case batteries necessary ?

2. What is a EC5 ? Where to buy ?

3. What motors are you running and how fast? I haven't decided on a motor yet but the video linked below really does impress me for a Spartan motor designed by Castle.

4. What Flex cables are you running and where to buy ? Are you removing the stuffing tube and going to a bigger cable and collet or can stock size handle the power ?

What I'm planning so far:

1. X642 to X645 props...any recommendation on where to purchase these already worked over for this particular hull ? I can sharpen and balance myself but if there is somebody that is cutting and working over props for this particular setup I would like to know about it.

2. HobbyWing SeaKing 180 ESC

3. Extra Cap strip

4. Side mount rudder for MG.

5. 5.5 bullet connectors.

6. reinforcing battery mounting bases with Carbon Fiber

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you may have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznQddEk5_k

ray schrauwen
09-01-2013, 09:08 PM
The newer V3 T180 esc's have an extra cap bank already installed. If you want to inexpensively make an offset I'll show you my Geico back end. I took 1st place in Michigan Cup Limited 6 lap race. AQ 1800Kv motor, 6000 mah total 2 x 4S-3000Mah in parallel running a M447 prop, blueprinted sponsons, Hughey .150 cable, Speedmaster rudder, cheap strut modded with Octura lead teflon bushings. After 6 -7 laps motor comes off hot at 150*F and needs after cool. This is just my setup for racing in a stock class, not totally modded out motor or esc. Esc was a SF120.

All wood removed, OSE motor mount, CF inlay.

Internal pic is of old motor mount and older esc...

*Offset is made from 2" box aluminum I had the shop cut it 1" long for me and I just drilled, cut and filed to get to what you see.

lenny
09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Ray is this right ? 8s

6000 mah total 2 x 4S-3000Mah in series ?

ray schrauwen
09-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Whoops, that's Parallel... Sorry!!

Ray is this right ? 8s

6000 mah total 2 x 4S-3000Mah in series ?

lenny
09-01-2013, 10:28 PM
:tiphat:

Jaguar1
09-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Interested in 6s setups for both boats. Already purchased the BJ offset rudder for MG.
Also went ahead and purchased the VXL 6s 540 Castle motor. The thing is screaming in that video as compared to others I have watched. Had to have me one. :smile:
I take it EC5's are the connectors ? So what do I need to purchase 5.5 bullet connectors or
EC5's ? Or are they one in the same ? Thanks....

iop65
09-03-2013, 01:57 AM
you can make every boat scream my friend

use an unbalanced prop and a bad flex ,rev it up beyond 30.000rpm if you want noise:laugh:

noise is not always an indication for speed

Jaguar1
09-03-2013, 08:04 AM
I've seen my share of fast boats my friend. I own eleven nitro boats. Have balanced and sharpened my own props for 9 years now. That boat wasn't just making 'noise'. Perhaps you need to take a another looksy and put a MG up you think is faster....:olleyes:

you can make every boat scream my friend

use an unbalanced prop and a bad flex ,rev it up beyond 30.000rpm if you want noise:laugh:

noise is not always an indication for speed

iop65
09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
i took another "looksy" and can only say that we have made different conclusions watching the video in your first posting
i went for the "power is nothing without control" route.....

would certainly not waste my money on making a MG that is faster ,if i would feel that need i would buy a hydro&marine hull for starters

and i apologize if my first answer came off the wrong way

Jaguar1
09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Well, to each his own. I like the little RTR MG and BJ. They look very cool . These are my first two electric boats so I'm not looking to spend a grand to go 60+ mph when I already have two JAE .21 Riggers with CMB and Nova for power that fit that bill. My collection of boats is very diverse as I have several overpowered RTR boats and several serious racing boats with all the best for power and hardware.
I'm also very much in to the real thing having both a STV and a Mirage Jaguar in my collection as well. I like things on the edge and out of control, makes life more fun that way.
In any regard, the OT was asking for some help and guidance setting up for 6s with what I have already purchased. Didn't ask for a snarky comment dishing a obviously fast boat and saying it is only making noise. I know fast when I see it friend. If you have any useful information in that regard, please do fill me in...