PDA

View Full Version : Removing the ClearCoat??

Darin Jordan
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I have my lovely green SV27 torn down to just the hull and am preparring it for battle, but I know from experience with my white one that the clearcoat pulls off after a few hatch tape-downs, so I'd like to strip it off, add some accent colors, the apply my own brand of clear...

Any of you stipped the clear off of one of these before and could suggest a method? I'm not opposed to sanding, but if there is a way to get the initial clear off quicker, I'm all ears... Was thinking of trying the "Citru-Strip" that I have here... but I'd like to preserve the underlying green paint if I could... It's close enough to Oberto green to allow me to add some white and red accents and call it part of the fleet! ;)

Any suggestions would be appreciated... I have some work to do to the bottom anyhow, so I'll be sanding regardless, but let me know if there is an easier way that has worked for you...

Thanks,

adreher
05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I would go with sanding. I my little experience using a chemical takes it all off and isn't as controlled or smooth as sanding.

SJFE
05-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I used nail polish remover to remove the clear I sprayed on. I was un aware that a factory coat was on the hull. It looked like paint only on my white one. They do make 400 grit for the orbital sanders. That will reduce the elbow greae factor:)

Fast Guy
05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
The clear coat is comming off the hatch on our white boat also. Our orange boat is fine. I would sand the clear off also. Stripper would damage the under lying paint.