PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum MR200 glitching and getting hot

champion221elite
08-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I went to the lake this past friday after working my night shift. Hooked up the batteries and was looking forward to running my slightly modded BJ29. I powered everything up, tested function and began the taping process. While taping the canopy I heard the servo start moving without input from my transmitter. The frequency and severity of the glitching got worse as i opened the canopy to check things over. The amber light inside th receiver was intermittently flashing with no particular pattern. All connections were tight, but i noticed the receiver was quite warm.

At this point, i packd up and headed home with a broken boat. I let the receiver cool and rechecked temps at home. At room temp, about 75 degrees, the receiver works fine with no glitching. After 30 seconds, the receiver warms up to 90+ degrees and begins glitching.

Just for giggles, I took temp readings every minute and noted the temp was climbing everytime. After 3 minutes, the Rx temp had risen to 129 degrees. I stopped the test at that point not wanting to burn anything down.

I called Horizon Hobby and told the customer service rep about the glitching. He initially tried stonewalling me, and said i could buy a new one for $50. However, once i told him about the rapid temp rise, he immediately changed his tune and said HH would be sending a replcement MR200 free of charge.

I guess besides venting a bit, it pays to have your ducks in a row and be polite. I saved $50 by politely explaining my problem, and having hard data to back it up. I could only imagine my Rx somehow developed an internal short and was heating up and glitching as a result.