PDA

View Full Version : Motor choice

Apophis
08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Hey guys,

I've lurked this site for a few years now, and I can't thank you all enough for all of the info. This is my first post here because I have always seemed to find the answers I needed here, thanks guys. So this spring I bought a Revolt, my first fe boat figuring that a rtr boat would be good to get my feet wet. I have learned a lot since then but am still a newb lol. Well after about 150 runs on my revolt I got to see the magic smoke. Boat was all stock, running at the time of the smoke 2 2s 4500 mah 40c batteries with a s/b m545. I have ran this setup all summer with low temps, hitting 48 on my brick gps (my old phone lol) it wasnt in the boat at smoke time. I'm not sure what happened but it did. So after cleaning it out, the motor looked ok but the esc had burnt out the end by the caps. So I ordered a new Swordfish 120 amp from ose, fast shipping too thanks ose. Thinking the 120 would be good for the stock set up becase I had no plans to upgrade the revolt.

Well I get my connections all soldered, get the new esc in and all hooked up and nothing. The esc made its beeps and all, but the motor was a no go. I took out the motor and noticed some burt looking wire so I removed the shrink wrap and it was burnt under it. So I guess its new motor time, and before I order one I thought I would ask you guys what to get. I have a basic understanding of motors, volts and kv. Looking back if I would of known the motor went also I would of got a combo esc and motor from here. So now that I have to get a new motor I would like to play around and maybe run 5s, is this esc ok for that or is it too low of an amp rating? If it is ok on 4s/5s what motor would you guys recommend? I can guess and thats where I would get myself in trouble lol. I just don't know what affects diferent size has, motor size not kv. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated guys and thanks for the trove of info.

Shawn

Mike Caruso
08-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Shawn,
I was out for the first time this year with my Revolt and tried a BIGGER PROP fastest it has ever run. Big prop finally got mystock ESC hot you could feel it through the hull never did that before LOL. Just the price for going fast as Fluid once explained to me as I am going to run SAW. Dang I did not have my Eagle tree installed this time but will reinstall it. I too have a 120 ESC sitting in the workshop for a different boat. I am going to try it with the stock motor as I feel the AQ1800 is very tuff. The motor guys on this site will steer you straight. Everyones taste is different but 50 is a real good mph for the Revolt hull I feel. Man you got 150 runs on your boat very nice. I have to say that my boat does not like that Octura M-545 oh it runs 48-50 mph but it wags it tail bad on the top end. The X-642 runs like its on rails and turns great. The bigger prop I tried was M-645 and it's a keeper except for heat I will say 55 mph but have to get the ET back in to measure it. I do think it is a electronic parts KILLER but it RIPS the boat goes by and the rooster tail comes down later LOL. And it is not a high rooster tail either.
Good luck.
Mike

Apophis
08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Hey Mike,

I love the Revolt for what it is, fast and handles great. I never really had any handling problems at speed till I spun bad one time on the big lake and striped an internal gear in the servo lol. When I ordered the new esc I picked up a new servo too, it didnt like to turn left lol. I just figure you learn by trying new things and figure if that esc is ok on 5s why not goof around, I was going to pick up a couple 3s packs that match my 2s. If it's not a good idea I'm fine on 4s. I ordered a Daytona from FC for my first build a couple weeks ago, that will be my fast boat and yes I am into saw now, I love speed lol. That build is set back now tho due to the repairs on the revolt. I moved onto a private electric only lake about 9 years ago, thats about when I started lurking around here, about the time the supervee came out whenever that was lol. So yeah I run the revolt alot, I love to tinker with it and I think its about as dialed in as I can get it. Here's a vid of a run off my dock, most of the time I go to the middle of the lake and run laps around my pontoon. This was with the bad servo so I was taking the corners easy.

Tws5DKnEfdM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Apophis
08-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Well she lives again! Purchased a Leopard 3674 1700kv from ose, thanks again, ordered Thursday had it running on Saturday! On my first run I bent down to pick the boat up and my temp gauge decided the water looked refreshing and jumped out of my pocket to go for a swim, so I've been keeping my runs short till I can check temps. Everything feels cool but the esc, not hot but warm. Running on 5s I hit 60 once, most runs have been 55-58 with an X642. I don't really know what other props to try but it seems to run and handle great, I'm loving it lol. Vid of new set up

Xzyti8qtePI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cinnabun
08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
How's the SF120 handling the 3674? Just wondering because I'm not sure if I should go with the SF120 or 220 for my rebuild.

Heaving Earth
08-28-2013, 12:05 PM
I run that same motor with seaking 120 on 5s2p in a Titan 29 with x440/3 all day long

Cinnabun
08-28-2013, 12:15 PM
I picked up a 3674 2200kv because I plan on using 4s, so the 120a should be good?

Apophis
08-28-2013, 12:21 PM
I would of went bigger if I would of known I was getting a different motor and bumping up to 5s. Most guys say more headroom is best. But for the price the 120 seems to be just fine on my boat. It gets warm but not too hot to keep my fingers on it. Motor and batts are cool to the touch. I really need to get myself a logger now that I'm so into this hobby lol. Later today I'm going to pick up another temp gauge and get a better idea of temps. Not sure if this is a good prop for this setup, but I only have a couple.

tdrake694
08-30-2013, 05:39 AM
How much of a difference would the sf 220 be temp wise compared to the 120?

Apophis
08-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Well I ran the revolt today, temps on all components and wires were between 96-104 except the esc, it was 134 at the caps. It felt real hot to the touch for the first time. It's almost 90 here today and the lake temp is about 82. I think that's a little hot for my liking. When I put the new esc and motor in I ran all new water lines and a new outlet on the side to see water flow better, it runs thru the esc first and I had good flow out the side. I'm going to run this esc till end of season and keep runs short but I am going to pick up a 220 pro+ for next season so I can have logging. I am still a newb to this so I can't really answer questions, just share my experiences. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wish I would of just got the 220. For a stock set up on 4s this esc is fine I'm sure.

BHChieftain
08-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Cut the ESC-to-LIPO leads as short as possible. This can really make a big difference with CAP temps.

Chief

lenny
08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
You could also add two 1000ur caps or so to the esc,
And that will help a lot to with the temps.
My cap temps were 180f and higher at times till I added the caps,
I have the Turnigy 120a esc and added two 1000ur caps to it,
Using it in my modded to FE PB 36"Shockwave with a Leopard 4074 2200kv and a x646/3 prop on 4s2p.
And the caps run a lot cooler at 120f now on a 6 minute run.

Apophis
09-01-2013, 04:04 PM
little update, ran yesterday and hit 140's on the caps and it wasn't as hot outside. Chief, thank you, I don't know why I didn't do that from the beginning :doh: shortened all my battery leads as short as I could get them last night. Ran today, cooler out and was a little choppy on the water, hit 61mph and temp at the caps was 126. I'll get a vid of some runs with gps, I use my old galaxy phone for my gps not sure how accurate it is but I have tested it against my current phone and another old phone going down the e-way at 75 mph and they all read the same.....

Lenny, I think I will still add some caps, thank you. This winter I plan to do some c/f reinforcement in the hull to feel a little better about these speeds. The Revolt was not meant to go this fast, It still handles good but I can "feel" the extra weight, I don't know how else to explain it. My advice to anyone wanting to upgrade the Revolt would be to just do a new build with a different hull. I'm just a speed demon and wanted to goof around since this is the only boat I have right now lol

Cinnabun
09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
I ran my 3674 powered revolt yesterday, at about 3/4 throttle is blew over. Running an m445. It drifted back to shore, flipped it back over and a few seconds later it lost all forward power. Wind blew it back to shore and I found the prop and shaft missing. It broke where the flex and solid prop shaft connect to each other. I ended up putting my seaking 180 in the boat, since everyone told me 120a wasn't enough.

Apophis
09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
I have broke two cables in the same spot, but was lucky and didn't lose my prop. They were both AQ shafts, one that came with the boat and one from lhs. I called tower and they gave me a number to call. They sent me out a new shaft and trim tabs, one was striped out of the box. The new flex I got from them looked different, it didn't have that spot weld on it and I haven't had a problem with it.

I had to mess around with strut height and batt placement to stop it from wanting to blow over. My set up seems to like the strut high like I have had it, with the batts almost to the front of the tray. On the old set up I had the batts all the way back. I tried moving them back again and lowering the strut but I lost about 5-6mph I think kintec has upgrade shafts, ose didn't have them in stock last I checked, sucks about your prop, I would be very bummed if I lost one of mine

Cinnabun
09-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Yeh it sucks. I'm trying to decide if I want to run a .187 cable or a .150 cable again.

Phoebe
09-02-2013, 09:42 AM
The stock shafts are horrible as is the collet. Get a couple Kintecs or OSE's and a precision collet (I like the 2-screw one from Kintec).