PDA

View Full Version : Best Paint in a raddle can

MARKBRENNAN
08-11-2013, 11:14 AM
To spray abs boat hull

BHChieftain
08-11-2013, 11:18 AM
I have good luck with both regular krylon with primer, and also krylon fusion without primer. I followed the OSE tips section on spray painting hulls.

If interested I can post pics later.

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

MARKBRENNAN
08-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Can I see pics

siberianhusky
08-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I did an old Dumas Hotshot Sprint ABS hull with duplicolor enamel auto touch up paint, turned out to be one of my best painjobs ever. Tons of colours to choose from as well.
Never tried Krylon myself, some of my boating friends have used it for some nice paintjobs.

twissted
08-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Napa Automotive Part store has auto paint and primer in a can. It sprays awesome!

Heaving Earth
08-11-2013, 02:04 PM
The best way is to scuff the hull well with a scotch bright, go direct to paint, forget primer, use whatever paint then ask a local collision repair shop to clear coat it for you.

Norman2
08-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi, The best Rattle can paint for RC FE Boats is Duplicolor Auto Touch up Spray cans. However
I wet sand the hull, primer it with Duplicolor primer and then paint, place graphics and then
Duplicolor Clear Coat. There is a large variety of colors available in any Auto Parts Store.
See attached photos. Regards
Norman103771103770

iridebikes247
08-16-2013, 06:28 AM
If painting an ABS hull go with Krylon Fusion for sure. Its one of the few paints out there that molecularly bonds to the plastic. I have a few abs hulls painted and the paint sticks unbelievably well, you can't chip this thing. Its cheap too.

When painting fiberglass I sand with like 180-220 grit sand paper, painting making sure to keep the can within 10 inches of the hull being painted. Misting is ok but you want to hit the hull with a solid amount of paint with each pass, otherwise the finished boat will have too much overspray in the finish and will chip more easily. I like to clear coat within an hour of finishing the base coat as the clear coat bonds chemically rather than mechanically to the paint.

Good luck painting is really easy and one of the most rewarding parts of working on these FE boats in my opinion.