PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 42 MPH but hot

jschab
08-07-2013, 10:49 PM
I hit 42 MPH on the GPS today all stock (Deans/bullets) except an Aeromarine coupler, Kintec cable and a sharpened and balanced M545 prop. Bottom scuffed, turn fins up all of the way, rudder razor sharp and batteries (Turnigy 5500 50C.) stacked all the way back. Thanks to Mike Caruso for getting me this far!
It ran great but the motor was very hot to the touch (I forgot my infrared temp gun) and the shrink wrap melted off the Deans connectors. The stock ESC was hot but you could hold your hand on it.

What temperatures are too hot for this stock setup? What kind of temps are you guy's seeing? With the X642 everything was nice and cool not even worth checking temps.
I think the prop needs to be thinned and the batteries are too heavy? Any advice would be appreciated. :rockon2:

capnswanny
08-07-2013, 11:24 PM
I would almost think you had a clogged cooling system. I run a m645 on mine and come back cool. Might want to carefully enlarge the inlet at the rudder a bit with a round file and back blow it out afterwards to remove any filings.
Also, it's really hard to tell of you have good flow while you're running because of the stock placement of the outlet. If you want to keep it there at the stern, a piece of tubing angled up will spit water up enough to see.
Under 130f is good. A rule of thumb is you should be able to hold your finger on "it" for 3 seconds without feeling like your being tortured ;)
All it takes is one piece of flotsm jetsm to stop the whole cooling works.

Chilli
08-07-2013, 11:30 PM
How long were your run times? Temps should be in the 130's or less for most set ups. I try to stay below 130. Any more and you're stressing out the equipment. How is the set up on the boat? I wonder if she is running a little wet (bow riding in the water). Try moving the CG back a little or adjusting the trim tab's up (very slightly) to see if you can loosen her up a bit. This will get you some more speed, reducing amp draw and keeping temperatures down. Shorten your run times a little to keep the temps down until you get the set up correct. I suspect you may be a running a little wet because I would think your speed should be a bit higher with that prop.

Mike Caruso
08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
I hit 42 MPH on the GPS today all stock (Deans/bullets) except an Aeromarine coupler, Kintec cable and a sharpened and balanced M545 prop. Bottom scuffed, turn fins up all of the way, rudder razor sharp and batteries (Turnigy 5500 50C.) stacked all the way back. Thanks to Mike Caruso for getting me this far!
It ran great but the motor was very hot to the touch (I forgot my infrared temp gun) and the shrink wrap melted off the Deans connectors. The stock ESC was hot but you could hold your hand on it.

What temperatures are too hot for this stock setup? What kind of temps are you guy's seeing? With the X642 everything was nice and cool not even worth checking temps.
I think the prop needs to be thinned and the batteries are too heavy? Any advice would be appreciated. :rockon2:

Happy to help that's what is so great about OSE and I have to thank Steven of OSE for this place to exchange information. I support him buying whenever I need parts.
Change those connectors first and run it again.
Mike

Mike Caruso
08-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Happy to help that's what is so great about OSE and I have to thank Steven of OSE for this place to exchange information. I support him buying whenever I need parts.
Change those connectors first and run it again.
Mike

Bduncan
08-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Thats pretty slow with big prop on 4s. On a prop that big adjust the strut up significantly for more rpm. Is your prop very well tuned and sharp? I ran dual cooling on my revolt and i had great run times. If you dont have a thermometer use the 3 second rule
If tou touch the motor and its uncomfortable after 3 secs way too hot. Having said that, get a laser thermometer. That motor and esc can be toasted easily.

Mike Caruso
08-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I agree too hot sounds like the rudder hole is not opened up because both are hot. My ESC is ice cold and motor 110 with that prop. It does have thick blades but it must be very sharp. I have thinned mine done since I have run it but have not been out since.

jschab
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the tips! It may have been running a little wet due to the battery weight and GPS to the front of the batteries(not much weight). Cooling lines are clean. I will get some 5.5 mm connectors and raise the strut. The M545 was the first prop I prepped. I need to purchase a new or used prop already sharpened and balanced so I have an idea how to shape and sharpen a new one. My Son and I are just getting into the boats and are having a blast however his Supervee 27R will toast me in a drag race.
Thanks for all of your help.

BHChieftain
08-08-2013, 11:43 PM
In case you don't know, beryllium copper is extremely toxic in particulate form so you need safety gear / respirator to prep props. Read the MSDS on it.

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

jschab
08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the information. I did wear a respirator and filed and sanded outside.

AMG4ME
08-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey all what grite paper did you scuff your hull with... also I have a dremel tool but not sure what to use for sharpening the rudder and fins... (fins seem pretty good though)

skeeler
08-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey all what grite paper did you scuff your hull with... also I have a dremel tool but not sure what to use for sharpening the rudder and fins... (fins seem pretty good though)

The turn fins and rudder are aluminum, which is very soft compared to the steel in a hand file. I was able to sharpen mine with a few minutes of hand filing. The prop is much harder and thus much more work.