PDA

View Full Version : First swim yesterday

kookie_guy
07-14-2008, 06:41 AM
hehe, went for my first swim yesterday. Boat was running strong. Right hand turns were great, left hand turns a little sloppy. Anyhow, the water had a bit of a chop to it, so the boat was bouncing around a bit. Finally she bounced a bit too much, went straight in the air, and landed upside down in the water. I quickly jumped in to go rescue it. She took on quite a bit of water into the hull, and the "sealed" electronics box.

Pulled all the electronics. Waiting thil everything dries before I fire it up to test. The spektrum receiver is still good, so that's a relief. Gonna tear apart the servo tonight, make sure it's dry inside, and test fire that too. I'm gonna wait a couple days before I fire the ESC.

frdvschvy
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Seal up the antenna hole and tape your hatch for every run. The extra effort is well worth keeping the inside bone dry in a flip over.

kookie_guy
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Seal up the antenna hole and tape your hatch for every run. The extra effort is well worth keeping the inside bone dry in a flip over.

I think I might have to do that. I have a spektrum in it so I'll probably just leave the antenna inside. Or do a custom mount like some peple have done.

Tony
07-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Here is what i did with my bj26 boat. Relocate the antenna, shortened and sealed the antenna mount on the tuberware, cut a piece of blue plastic about the size of a nickel that matches the blue color of your hull, epoxy it from the under side of the hatch to cover the hole, sealed the little drainage screw with epoxy as well. Water problem solved.

kookie_guy
07-28-2008, 06:47 AM
so after getting my boat back together and modifying everything, I was eager to take it out for a spin. There was a nice 5-6" swell coming in, and against my better judgement, I cut her loose. It was a fun 15 seconds, hehe, the crash was pretty crazy too. Needless to say, that's 2 swims for me. I should have put the batteries a bit closer forward instead of all the way back to the transom. Oh well.

On a plus, the modifications worked great. Barely any water in the hull. The 2 biggest helps were plugging the antenna hole and using hatch tape. Everything was dry inside and I wanted to keep running, but the boat really couldn't handle that big a swell. It was jumpin all over like crazy.