PDA

View Full Version : New owner of Impulse 31 v2

TJ_RS
07-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Guys,
This is my first time around with this RC Boat stuff. Gotta say I'm really enjoying it. I bought the Impulse 31 v2, and while there are a few things that need to be looked at from the moment you open the box, its a really nice setup.
Again, for the price, its a good quality boat in my perspective.
http://i40.tinypic.com/16isfg0.jpg

After doing a few updates to the drive gear,(OSE upgrade flex cable and Etti coupler) I got out Friday and made a few passes playing with the position of the batteries. Didn't mess a whole lot with the tabs or stut since on 4S I got it to turn and track straightline perfectly.
But when I slapped on a pair of 3S packs, Handling went to sh1t. Top speed was awesome though. An uncontrollable awesome. Temps went up everywhere. ESC, Motor, etc.
Maybe with the ABC prop or the X445 I just got I might be able to re-pitch and load it accordingly to bring down RPM. I also got to try Darin's tabs that day. Much nicer cuts thru the turns. Nice and smooth.
Before I start getting crazy with upgraded motors and ESC, I'm gonna get out a few times with my GPS on board and maximize handling efficiency with what I have and start making back to back passes with different props, strut height's and doing some durability tests on 5S and 6S on the stock stuff.
In the mean time, here's pics of some of the upgrades and tools..
.http://i41.tinypic.com/2me1e86.jpg.
.http://i42.tinypic.com/10dzl88.jpg.
.http://i43.tinypic.com/102weao.jpg.

Should be back out here on Wednesday. I'll keep you guys posted.
http://i44.tinypic.com/102t1rm.jpg

TJ_RS
07-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Also any input is welcomed!

GLRE Raptor
07-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Just ran mine tonight with GPS in it.

Prather s225 prop
6s-46.1 mph in really rough water and boat running very wet. Never went wot for more than a few short burst

4s- 36.9mph. The whole time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

waterproof
07-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Hi. Nice pics of a nice boat :-) also nice nature pics you have taken.

I also have the same boat all stock and i have only try it on 4s and 5s.
Battery is in series, 7.4v and 11.1v 5200mh 30c.

I think the 4s is only for beginners, to slow for me to have real fun but its a great way to learn how to use it.
5s give enough speed to drive fast, i dont have gps but i can say its maby goes to 65kmp.

On both battery setup 4s and 5s the motor cables get very heat right after use when you touch it.

I want to try 6s but Im afraid to melt or burn the boat.
I see you have the right tool to take temprature.
Could you take temprature of the engine cables and the battery contacts on 5s and on 6s? :-) also of the esc and motor if you want to do this.

BHChieftain
07-31-2013, 08:41 AM
Stick to 5S max on this boat as it has an 1800kv motor. Be sure the prop is sharpened and balanced (if you are new, remember that beryllium copper dust is extremely toxic so read up on safety gear required or best send it out somewhere to be sharpened and balanced). Also, I would not run 5S unless you upgrade the ESC, if you don't want to do that at least stick to the stock prop...(which also should be sharpened and balanced, but it is stainless steel so safer to do yourself). Be sure to upgrade the connectors before trying anything higher than 4S.

Chief

waterproof
07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Stick to 5S max on this boat as it has an 1800kv motor. Be sure the prop is sharpened and balanced (if you are new, remember that beryllium copper dust is extremely toxic so read up on safety gear required or best send it out somewhere to be sharpened and balanced). Also, I would not run 5S unless you upgrade the ESC, if you don't want to do that at least stick to the stock prop...(which also should be sharpened and balanced, but it is stainless steel so safer to do yourself). Be sure to upgrade the connectors before trying anything higher than 4S.

Chief

Hi Chief, its good that you tell people with copper prop that is very toxic to work on. I think many dosent know that.

Im31 have stainless as you say so i will try to sharpen it. How do i do it?
Could i use a knife sharpner from the kitchen?
My prop is stock and not so sharp, do i gonna get a bit more speed after sharping it?
Could i balanse it at home?

My ec3 connectors is not to hot on 5s, i use 30c battery :-)

BHChieftain
08-01-2013, 01:18 AM
If you send me your email over PM I'll send over a setup/running guide for this boat and I have a link to a good how to video (I'd post it here but I don't have that file/link on the computer I'm using right now).

You need a balancer to get the balance right. You use a file and sandpaper to remove material and sharpen. The vid I have in mind will show you what tools to use. It is pretty straightforward actually.

With the stock prop sharpened and balanced you'll pick up 3-5mph. If you upgrade to a s/b octura x642 prop you'd pick up close to 10mph.

Chief

TJ_RS
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
5s
ESC=90F-100F
Motor=92F-95F
EC3 plug= 116F-119F
Stock motor plugs=112F

6s
ESC=106F-110F
Motor= 96F-99F
EC3 plug=130F-139F
Stock motor plugs=142F

With 4s motor and esc stay around the same temps, but the ec3 plugs and motor leads come down drastically in temps.
I ran 6s for about 30min+-....I don't think 6s would last long on my boat. Unless I updated all the plugs.
And either way, the 3s batteries are 5000mah 40c and they got hot pretty quick.

Like others mentioned, 5s is pretty much it for daily abuse.

I got scared after 25min of run time on 6s and no limp mode.
A couple WOT runs later the boat wouldn't want to come on plane so I knew limp mode was doing its thing. Checked voltage and was 3.1+- per cell.
Not bad. Wish I could adjust it for a little higher cut off.

Friday I am going back out. 5s, and X445 S&B are going on for a quick gps run. I will video this time.
Should be interesting compared to my runs yesturday with the stock prop.

Always make sure to check all bolts on the boat before going back out! I almost lost a turn fin after being distracted by my girlfriend for a few seconds while tuning yesturday!

iop65
08-01-2013, 10:30 AM
check temps with that x445 on 5s !

waterproof
08-02-2013, 06:55 AM
5s
ESC=90F-100F
Motor=92F-95F
EC3 plug= 116F-119F
Stock motor plugs=112F

6s
ESC=106F-110F
Motor= 96F-99F
EC3 plug=130F-139F
Stock motor plugs=142F

With 4s motor and esc stay around the same temps, but the ec3 plugs and motor leads come down drastically in temps.
I ran 6s for about 30min+-....I don't think 6s would last long on my boat. Unless I updated all the plugs.
And either way, the 3s batteries are 5000mah 40c and they got hot pretty quick.

Like others mentioned, 5s is pretty much it for daily abuse.

I got scared after 25min of run time on 6s and no limp mode.
A couple WOT runs later the boat wouldn't want to come on plane so I knew limp mode was doing its thing. Checked voltage and was 3.1+- per cell.
Not bad. Wish I could adjust it for a little higher cut off.

Friday I am going back out. 5s, and X445 S&B are going on for a quick gps run. I will video this time.
Should be interesting compared to my runs yesturday with the stock prop.

Always make sure to check all bolts on the boat before going back out! I almost lost a turn fin after being distracted by my girlfriend for a few seconds while tuning yesturday!

Thanks for the temprature test :-) was this with the stock prop and low timing?

I tryed 6s on my boat today with no heat issues, only the motor cables that is hot when i touch it. after a minute or two after run they get cold again,

The setup was:
Stock prop littlebit sharpned by a sandpaper
timing low on esc, (timing high just give mutch more temprature to the battery and connectors and maby 2 mph more speed)

When i use 2x 11,1v kingmax 5200mh and timing on low i dont get the ec3 Connectors to warm, its the same temprature when i run on 5s! The engine cables get hot but its hot every time i touch them same if i use 4-5s,
I do not run on 100% speed all the time, just full trottle one way on the water and i have maby run 100% trottle about 30-40% of the time i have use it on the water :)
I dosent think 5-6s is so mutch differences, maby 6-7mph more speed. Its runs fast enough on 5s :) but funny to try 6s a couple of times too.
The battery packs is Cold also on 6s.

I wonder why a couple of guys in here have trouble on 6s? I have see pics of fire to the boat..
Could it be because they had a bigger prop or high timing? The only thing i dosent like is the temp of the motor cable, but they are very hot after use on 5s too.. I see you had 139f/61celsius on the motor connections, how mutch is the most temprature i could have to the motor Connections before they burn?

Esc,battery and motor having fine with no heat at all, the engine is a bit hotter than the other electronic but no mutch at all, its stays cooler than other boats i have tryed.

TJ_RS
08-04-2013, 10:45 AM
check temps with that x445 on 5s !

Temperatures where almost the same as 5s on stock prop. The problem is that the water temp in the lake was almost 9*degrees colder due to rain all day. And I only used about 65-70% of the packs.
I think yes, increase in temps...but they need to be done back to back to compare...not 3-4 days later.

Also speed was down. I had too much hull in the water due to wakes. Couldn't get past half throttle compared to my flat water runs. Best was 40.6 on a short stretch tabs all the way down and strut almost all the way up.

Handling is incredible though.

iop65
08-05-2013, 03:18 AM
you should get the tabs all the way up and just use a little neg angle with the strut ,adjust the hight of the strut to the boat keeps just enough hull in the water to ride flat and save

tabs are not really necessary if the boat is tuned to perfection!

dvrmn
08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
I run my V2 on 6s all the time. As Chief mentioned....REPLACE the stock bullet connectors with better ones!! I ran the CC 5.5mm and had my prop balanced, I don't have any issues. I will tell you though, if you're going to run 6s you need to paint that boat. Its not easy to see while its gloss black.