PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions regarding batteries

Lunker101
07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey,

I havent owned an RC boat in about ten years. I'm purely a recreational user, no racing. I did a pretty thorough search and still couldn't really find a decisive answer regarding some battery questions i had. I want FAST but i dont care all that much about handling. I dont want to upgrade the blackjack at all, just get the most speed i can out of stock for now. Ive never owned LIPOs and i'm honestly not too keen on spending the money on a decent pair and charger. I assume that all the $50 chargers aren't really worth it, correct? Because I'm trying to keep the cost of batteries/charger to $100, I'm probably going to end up sticking with NIMHs. Im finding conflicting info on whether or not the blackjack can handle 7 cell packs, and input? Thanks alot for the help.

Boats4fun89
07-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I have read that it can handle two 7 cell packs just fine. some people disconnect the BEC and some dont. i plan on ordering two 7 cell packs here in about a week. i had two 6 cell packs but i ruined them.

krusty
07-13-2008, 10:04 PM
My self I tried both don't was't your money on anything but lipos because your going to end up buying them any ways. So why waste your money on nimh when your only going to get half the run time and half the power. Just my 2 cents

Lunker101
07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I really want to order everything tomorrow so I can be running this weekend. As I said, I'm a purely recreational guy and dont race so I was wondering if any of the cheapo lipo chargers are decent. I dont really care if its gonna take four hours to charge them, im not gonna be running the boat enough that i need fast charges. So, any decent/adequate $50 chargers?

krusty
07-14-2008, 12:00 AM
I believe the biggest difference between the $150 Chargers and the $50 Chargers is the fact that the more expensive charger can charge all makes of batteries and has a built-in balancer for the lipos. I have been told that you can charge Lipo batteries with out the use of a balancer this may shorten the life of your Lipo. I use a thunder power tp-610 c which is $130 with a built-in balancer,so I charged my Lipo's using a balancer but I have charge my Lipo's without the use of a balancer before and not had any problems but this was short term. Here is a link to maxs amps good charger for $ 80.00 http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=33

Lunker101
07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Any decent Lipo chargers that arent DC only in the sub $100 range?