PDA

View Full Version : Newbie MG questions!

bmack
07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Hi, quite a few questions after my first 1-2 runs with the new boat:

-do people tape around the entire hatch, or j(magnets seems useless to hold back on ha)
-my rear strut came loose, threadlock used on those 4 mounting screws?
-single velcro strips under lipos seems quite floppy that they pivot on, do you guys run 2 strips wide, like the width of the lipos so they stay nice and flat(single strip in middle is what I have that they teeter on I dont like)
-I have the strut mod link I will do!
-a;ready installed the x642
-I switched all the lipos/esc to 5.5mm bullets...the motor plugs I did not..it seems pointless to put such monster plugs on these really small gauge wires...or is this really done? it almost seems better just to solder the wires together!
-are most still setup with 2x2s in series...also have seen 2x4s in parallel for longer run times?
-I picked up the nano-tech 5800 40c-80c 2s lipos from hobbyking, seems to run pretty strong and long runtime...any other really popular choices?

sorry for so many questions, I'm bigtime indoor oval/carpet racer, just getting into boats for the summer! thanks

Ozzypatrol
07-28-2013, 03:19 AM
I tape the whole lot, boat has been upside down for 20mins and the only water was between the outer cover and the clear hatch. May be overkill, but for what it is worth I'll continue doing it.

I just run a single strip of Velcro down the centre of batt and tray, seems flimsy but the batts have not moved yet in a flip. Last couple of runs I have used a small velcro strap over each as they have not always been placed directly over the velcro

I have the V2 that came with the blue plugs??? Changed them to deans and all batteries. As I started to get my setup a little better I was spending more time on full throttle, pulled the boat in and found all temps were good apart from ALL connections. I have now replaced everything with 5.5mm bullets

iop65
07-28-2013, 06:02 AM
the 4mm motor plugs are good enough for the 1500KV motor,i also think the motor wires are the bottle neck

always tape the hatch!!

to possibilities : the velcro is not strong enough to hold the lipo or the velcro is strong enough and your battery tray will come loose when you flip/blow over:smile:

BHChieftain
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
If your motor connectors are cool then don't worry about changing them. If you push your setup harder that usually becomes the high resistance point.

I personally do move everything to larger connectors just to have the headroom.

Chief

bmack
07-30-2013, 08:35 PM
acouple more questions if I could:

-what are the target temp ranges on the esc case and motor after a run, or max we want to see? pretty sure I have the V1 with the 1500kV and 45A speedo
-I'm looking at running 4s2p to try that out on longer run time...is there anything else I need to change...I've read here about not using the BECs after a certain point? (not that 4s2p is any different than the stock 2x2s in series)

BHChieftain
07-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I use my finger method-- if I can't hold my finger on the hot component comfortably do 10 seconds then it is too hot.

On the bec, it is sensitive to voltages not capacity so no issue for 4s2p config (same voltage as 4s1p)

Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2