PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever run 2 4S 14.8V 5000Mah in Parrallel

AMG4ME
07-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Has anybody ever run 2 4S 14.8V 5000Mah in Parrallel?

If so or not what are the drawbacks vs the benefits?

Doby
07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Yup

Good: Longer run times, easier on the batteries, extra weight helps in rougher water.
Bad: Longer run times results in greater heat build up....extra weight can make the boat run more wet causing slower speeds and greater heat build up, can be tuned to eliminate this problem though.

AMG4ME
07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Ok great so to be on the safe side then bring it in every so often and test the heat build up on the batteries, Engine, and ESC.

What kind of things would you suggest to reduce heat... is there anything withoug replacing existing hardware?

Oh yeah and to have the full picture I have an Octura x642, and replaced the drive line and upgraded the bearing... all from OFF Shore Electric

Chilli
07-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Propping down and making sure the boat is not running too wet is about all you can do to keep the heat down. When ever you try a new prop, bring her in every so often during the first few runs and check your temps. Slowly increase your run times. Eventually you will get a good base line of how long you can run without getting the gear too hot. Try to keep the temps in the 130's or less. Also don't run your packs down too much. It will greatly reduce their life.

AMG4ME
07-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Ok thanks, I have a terrible habbit of running batteries to the point of it just dying in the water... but I am trying to be more diligent on timing my runs. I have a temp gun so I will try to make good use of that too... now is it the batteries or the motor or the esc that I should watch not getting over 130,s

Doby
07-26-2013, 03:48 PM
All of them. If you are running in parallel, the batteries should not even approach that temp.

AMG4ME
07-26-2013, 04:12 PM
thanks for the info everyone... looking forward to heading out to picton to the cottage to tweak and have a little fun with the Bolt.... last weekend I put the go pro on it and just missed catching my dad run his Jet Stream 888 into the side of a raft. If i can figure out how to post a picture I will it was amazing how lucky he got.

AMG4ME
07-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Ok I am going to try to post a pic.... the video is kinda neat too but a pic will have to do for now.

He ran into the raft at 40+ mph and just managed to squeeze in-between the two pieces for the latter and the two pieces of Styrofoam. No Damage. It was crazy I wish I had of caught the impact on the go pro

BHChieftain
07-29-2013, 10:34 PM
I run a toysport triton with a 4S2P 10,000mah config (made up of four 2S1P 5000 packs) using a CC 1518 1800kv motor (not quite the same hull size and config as the revolt but kinda close). I run a cool setup so I don't have to stop, I get nearly 7min runtime at about 45mph on an x642 prop.

Chief

AMG4ME
07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah I am definitely going to try it.... just going to rig up the connections and put the money out for another battery. I just put the prop on it this weekend for the first time and I couldn't believe the difference.. oh and I put the turn fins half way up and angled them quite a bit.