PDA

View Full Version : Hatch tape?

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 09:43 AM
OK, I have been using electrical tape for years for hatch tape, however the last batch I got (3M) is leaving a lot of residue behind. I have a roll of clear tape that came with my Hobby King Centurion that sticks fairly well and does not leave any residue- anybody know what it is? I see Hockey Tape mentioned a lot for using on hatches, does that leave any residue? Now that my Pursuit is painted, I'd rather not have to clean it with solvents all the time. Thanks.
Joe

ozzie-crawl
07-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Hockey tape works really well is strong and flexible and leaves no residue.

Heaving Earth
07-20-2013, 09:49 AM
The hockey tape works well and never left residue for me, but I found it was stuck very well after getting wet, so gotta be careful if your paint has a weak bond.
Try other tape brands. During the hotter days of summer the electrical tape does get soft and the glue sometimes stays behind. Best thing is to not let the tape sit on there.

agentorange
07-20-2013, 10:02 AM
I have been using just electrical tape and haven't had any problems yet with it leaving residue behind. It might just a bad lot from the manufacture.

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I don't recall ever having issues in the past, but it has been a while since I ran the boats so I figured I just forgot about it. I'll buy more and give it a shot. I would like to get something clear now too though. Thanks!

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 10:22 AM
The hockey tape works well and never left residue for me, but I found it was stuck very well after getting wet, so gotta be careful if your paint has a weak bond.
Try other tape brands. During the hotter days of summer the electrical tape does get soft and the glue sometimes stays behind. Best thing is to not let the tape sit on there.

I don't let it sit on there but you have a point about heat. This is my first time using the boats in the FL heat, PA wasn't quite as sunny lol. Also, I keep the tape stored in the garage until I need a roll, then I grab it and keep it in the house. I wonder if the heat is affecting the glue, even though it is cool by the time I use it. Thanks.
Joe

martin
07-20-2013, 12:19 PM
In my experience with using electrical tape on boats that are painted it deff appears to stick more if the tape is warm, if your going to pull paint off with electrical tape when its warm then you will deff pull it off with hockey tape as it sticks stronger than electrical tape.

tlandauer
07-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I use electrical tape as well, besides the ambient temp issue, it also depends how long you have it sitting on the shelf: the adhesive changes over time and can get messy as the glue gets older, it leaves residue behind quite easily. I also keep them in ZipLoc plastic freezer bag when I don't use them.

runzwithsizorz
07-20-2013, 05:46 PM
I use medical tape, a large roll is fairly cheap at CVC, Walmart, etc. It is identical to hatch tape.

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Now that you mention it, the rolls I have are probably a year old. Bought a pack of them and they've been sitting in the garage here until I need one and I take it out then. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a common issue or not. On the bare gelcoat, I would use laquer thinner or something and it would wipe right off but now that it is painted, I'd rather not use any solvents. Not worried about it peeling, it *should* be good. I prepped the boat well and used adhesion promoter around the hatch opening just to give it a little extra because of the tape. It is all Sherwin Williams automotive sealer, base and clear. I use it on all the cars I do, so I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks again.
Joe

tlandauer
07-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Use citrus based cleaner, like GOO GONE, it does not thin out paint, use Windex to wipe off the oily residue, that's what I do all the time.

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Good point. On painted surfaces, I usually use prepsol but it strips the wax as well. Thanks.
Joe

TheShaughnessy
07-20-2013, 11:08 PM
I read wd 40 works on tape residue. No personal experience though. I use renfew hockey tape from big 5, gotta have clear.

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I read wd 40 works on tape residue. No personal experience though. I use renfew hockey tape from big 5, gotta have clear.

I agree- now that the boat looks nice and pretty, no more strips of black tape! Maybe yellow, but prefer clear.

Peter A
07-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I use pvc electrical tape, the softer tapes I've found to be better. I use WD40 to clean off any residue. After wiping down with a rag the tape sticks ok again. I've had my Pursuit do a full speed nose dive and pop back out backwards, tape hasn't let go!

kwiktsi
07-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Lol, mine dove straight in so hard that it popped out of the water backwards straight up for about 2-3' lol. It was pretty impressive. It also flipped and hit so hard that it cracked the hatch when it landed upside down! The electrical tape still held then too lol.

Peter A
07-21-2013, 12:09 AM
It's times like that when you just wish you had it on video!

driftah
07-21-2013, 06:50 AM
the aquacraft tape is my fav never leaves residue and is very strong,I use nothing but for the last 3 years never ever had an issue

kwiktsi
07-21-2013, 09:24 AM
It's times like that when you just wish you had it on video!

Tell me about it!

jetnfast
07-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Hockey tape is great. It can get wet, dry out in a few hours and be reused over and over. I really like this stuff!

MORIDE
07-21-2013, 09:54 AM
I switched form hockey tape to clear packing tape, cheap, comes with dispenser/cutter, nice n wide, I wax top of boat and any residue is easily removed with any of t he products previously mentioned, I use Goo Gone.

kwiktsi
07-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Hockey tape is great. It can get wet, dry out in a few hours and be reused over and over. I really like this stuff!

Electrical tape as well, but any time I try to save it, it just gets balled up anyway lol. I just buy the rolls in bulk and use it as I need it.

Heaving Earth
07-21-2013, 10:54 AM
The difference I've noticed between hockey and electrical tape is this:
Hockey tape must be dry and put on a dry surface to adhere, whereas the electrical tape will work wet and sticks to wet surface. You could almost use the stuff underwater and probably can.

jetnfast
07-21-2013, 10:56 AM
didn't realize that about electrical, plus its readily available. However, I still have 95% of the hockey tape roll I bought a year ago!

Heaving Earth
07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, those are my findings anyways.
I may be exaggerating slightly... Just in case someone wants to correct me, don't bother.
But I to find that I don't need the hatch to be completely dry before taping with the electrical and getting a good bond.
Wasn't so with hockey tape.

kwiktsi
07-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I have not used hockey tape yet, but I have noticed that with the electrical tape, just push it down and it pretty much squeegees out any water under it and sticks fine.

flynow1
07-23-2013, 02:55 PM
I use plain old electrical tape that I buy in bulk from Harbor Freight. Doesn't remove paint, no residue, you can even reuse the pieces 2 or 3 times. When racing I generally replace it with new each race but just fun runs I use it over again several times.

T.S.Davis
07-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I like Renfrew but as mentioned if your paint is weak it's going with the tape.

tlandauer
07-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Electrical tape may lift less, but it does/could lift paint, as stated earlier: its adheresion partly is affected by the ambient temp. When it is hot outside and the tape feels soft, watch out! Peeling the tape has something to do as well, I pull slowly back( when I am not in a hurry to check temp on the motor,ESC and batt.), the portion in my hand is almost parallel ( 30* at the most) to the tape that is yet to be pulled, never pull the tape straight up.

properchopper
07-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Recently I went to re-stock my stash of Renfrew. Seems most of the vendors I've used for bulk purchases have switched from selling Renfrew to TRON (which I believe is a Chinese knockoff of Renfrew) clear hockey tape. Having tried some that I borrowed from Stephen, I liked it better than Renfrew so I stocked up. A trifle thinner, more flexible to stretch around corners, and easier to peel off with what appears to be less "gumminess." Here's what a vendor posts about it :

Stronger, more elastic backing, allows muscle movement, maintains holding power, and is easily torn by hand when desired.

Superior adhesive keeps tape in place and removes cleanly with no residue.

Clear tape has improved transparency for better appearance.

I haven't tested how it does on painted surfaces, my boats are all in gelcoat.

BTW lighter fluid works great to remove sticky tape residue and won't harm painted surfaces when I've used it on same.

SSchevy98
07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Hockey tape is the best.

kwiktsi
07-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Recently I went to re-stock my stash of Renfrew. Seems most of the vendors I've used for bulk purchases have switched from selling Renfrew to TRON (which I believe is a Chinese knockoff of Renfrew) clear hockey tape. Having tried some that I borrowed from Stephen, I liked it better than Renfrew so I stocked up. A trifle thinner, more flexible to stretch around corners, and easier to peel off with what appears to be less "gumminess." Here's what a vendor posts about it :

Stronger, more elastic backing, allows muscle movement, maintains holding power, and is easily torn by hand when desired.

Superior adhesive keeps tape in place and removes cleanly with no residue.

Clear tape has improved transparency for better appearance.

I haven't tested how it does on painted surfaces, my boats are all in gelcoat.

BTW lighter fluid works great to remove sticky tape residue and won't harm painted surfaces when I've used it on same.

Thanks for the heads up! Now, if I can find it in 1/2" or 3/4" at the widest.. The stuff that came with my HK Centurion is 1/2", clear, sticks nicely, makes bends with ease and does not leave residue. Now it only I can find more of it...

madmikepags
07-23-2013, 05:57 PM
renfrew hocky tape, hockygear.com 36 rolls $72 shipped if thats too much tape then split it w a buddy or 2. I go thru about a case a year.