PDA

View Full Version : 58" King of Shaves gas to FE conversion build.

WhatRLaws4
07-20-2013, 12:56 AM
I did this write up in the normal build forum last summer, then tonight I find the Venom/Atomik forums, so I figured I would post in here as well. I will start of by saying it seems like the gas verison was hit or miss. I got the miss version. I never got it to run right. Replace carb seals with teflon first, then muffler broke so I upgraded to a tuned pipe. Then my strut came apart and I replaced the flex shaft, stuffing tube and strut with WHH gear. After all that, I still couldnt figure out that crap 26cc that mine came with. Then I saw some videos on youtube on the FE conversions, and decided thats the way to get this hull moving how I want. The only stock items on this boat are the hull, radio box and rudder mount.
Upgrades:
Leopard 5698, 910kv using FDM mounts
Castle Creations Hydra Ice 200HV esc
Futaba FASST 3PM-X, Hobbico digital high torque steering servo
Dubro push/pull steering rods
Handmade lexan radio tray
RCR dual pickup rudder
1/8" (I think) lexan windshield thats bolted in and siliconed sealed.
Warehouse Hobbies 1/4" flex, aluminum stuff tube, 1/4" strut with the floating propshaft custom cut down to 3/16ths.
Every hole sealed with epoxy or silicone so it's water tight.
Custom water lines and new exits.

WhatRLaws4
07-20-2013, 12:59 AM
More..

atechbh
07-20-2013, 07:09 AM
What batteries are you running on ? And what prop?
I'm in the midst of putting a 2028 in an Atomik 58.

WhatRLaws4
07-20-2013, 03:00 PM
2 Dinogy 4s 5000mah packs for 8s. Prop is Octura x452. I mount the lipos in front of the motor on the tunnel. Works good so far. If you are going to put some $$ into the Atomik hull, I suggest you seal up the hull incase you flip it. Silicone in the fake exhasut pipes, plug the canopy air inlet, the 2 round vents in back between the pipes, and maybe replace the windshield with something thicker. I rolled mine when it was gas, and the water knocked part of the flimsy plastic windshield loose from the glue that held it in place. I love the hull, but does need some work to be FE ready. It sure is fun once it is.

WhatRLaws4
07-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Ready for the water. OSE 8mm bullets on all connections. ESC to Motor wires are 2" shorter, added the Castle Cap Pack, and added a jumper (white wire) so I can run the lipos in the sponsons if I want. Theres a lot of debate on the best place to secure the lipos. A few say on the tunnel in front of the motor, some say in the sponsons. Only time will tell for me on location. Im not a huge fan of having the cap pack on top of the esc, and the esc on top of the motor, but it make for one compact little unit.

WhatRLaws4
07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
New set up works flawlessly. Tried a new oval shaped pond today, and was totally let down. Theres a fountain in the middle of it. No biggie...I thought. Made a slow pass to make sure I was getting proper waterflow in the cooling lines, and my rudder got hung up on a cable in the water. Went to other side, and theres another cable. I think these are tension lines keep the fountain in place? They run right in the middle of the pond, cutting it in half, so I could only run in a small part of this already small pond. I had about 150 ft to get on it, slow down and turn. Never got to to hold full throttle for over a second. I got some video too, but I had my GoPro set on wide angle, and it just doesnt look right. My day was a bust, but atleast I got out. Im heading to a bigger lake later this week, and I already set my GoPro set to the proper settings, so watch for a video by weeks end.

WhatRLaws4
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
dHwl96iZ5t4

WhatRLaws4
02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Some pics running on 8s

koontek
02-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Thats so awesome! I been looking for a used KOS to do the same exact thing.

lenny
02-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Look like it is riding nice,:tiphat:
Where is the video's of that big cat in action ? :popcorn2:

Some pics running on 8s