PDA

View Full Version : Hifei Swordfish 240 Pro Plus Throttle Issues

c_michael_72
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Hey Guys,

I’m having some problems with my Hifei ESC functionality and data logging. First, I have two brand new 240 pro + units going into a twin. On the first test run I noticed that that data logged never reported more than 75% throttle on either unit. Both calibrated successfully, per the procedure.

Also, the RPM’s don’t match up with what I’d expect after some extensive trouble shooting and bench testing. I’m starting out with a 4 pole 1730KV on 6s. On the bench, this should spool up to ~ 38kRPM, right?. My data logging is reporting 20k RPM. On the bench, I’mtesting the ECS/Motor combos separately and getting repeatable results…No 100% throttle, and low RPM (and yup, I’m inputting 4 poles prior to uploading the data)

I’m using a Spectrum DX3C and MR 200 TX/RX, which I’ve neverhad issues with. I’ve re-set all the settings on the TX (no expo, everything trimmed to 0, etc), re-bound five timesor so, I have plenty of supply voltage to my RX, my lipo’s check out ok, I’ve recalibrated both ECS’s multiple times…which has never given me an issue, I’ve tried different receivers (had a brand new SR300 available) and different transmitters…all yielding the same results. ; (

I am able to crank up the throttle travel to 125%, as some have suggested after calibration and this will let me log that I’ve actually hit 100% throttle input; unfortunately, the RPM’s are still low per my calculations.

I've never had issues with these components before and am wondering if I’m just missing something super basic…or if in fact the ESC’s may have issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

photohoward1
07-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Once you set the throttle go to the transmitter and set your expo as high as it goes. I had the same problem with my Futaba. I had the throttle set to 100%. The Software only showed 90% throttle. I went into my expo and set it as high as it would go. I think 110%. This solved the issue.

Rocstar
07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
+1
This has been reported with Spektrum radios. Myself and others have had the same issue. Increasing the the throttle end point usually solves this.
Are you bench testing max RPMs? I would just run the boat under load and check your data logs.

c_michael_72
07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks much for the prompt feedback guys.

@ Howard: Expo adjustment did not solve the issue for me, but thank you nevertheless.

@ Rockstar: After a few more hours of swapping components, I finally dug out an old non-data logging 240 Swordfish. I tested this with the exact same Rx/Tx, lipo, and it ran perfectly. I also noticed my new pro plus units were not providing "smooth" power any of the motors I tested at WOT, additionally the heat produced (granted no water flow) seemed to be excessive. The older unit (same timming, settings, etc.) ran perfect RPM, smooth, and cool?? I'm wondering if this is only an issue with the 240 pro plus?

Rocstar
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM

@ Howard: Expo adjustment did not solve the issue for me, but thank you nevertheless.

@ Rockstar: After a few more hours of swapping components, I finally dug out an old non-data logging 240 Swordfish. I tested this with the exact same Rx/Tx, lipo, and it ran perfectly. I also noticed my new pro plus units were not providing "smooth" power any of the motors I tested at WOT, additionally the heat produced (granted no water flow) seemed to be excessive. The older unit (same timming, settings, etc.) ran perfect RPM, smooth, and cool?? I'm wondering if this is only an issue with the 240 pro plus?
Do you have it set to ''Soft" acceleration? If not, try that.

c_michael_72
07-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I had them all set to std acceleration. I've ran out of "play" time for the day but will give that a shot ASAP. Thanks.

mattmak
07-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Expo will not solve the problem. The throttle needs more travel. I was logging 85% throttle and turned my Spektrum radio up to 125% throttle travel and now all is good. This is after going through the proper ESC throttle endpoint setup procedure with the radio set at 100% travel.

keithbradley
07-17-2013, 10:03 PM

The throttle range issue can be corrected by increasing the endpoint settings. This is standard for these ESCs.

If they are producing more heat than your other ESC, I would suspect the variable is one of timing setting or poor solder connections. I've ran pretty fast on these ESCs...

Mulisha
07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
If you don't have data logging how are you to now if your SF I giving 100% throttle?

c_michael_72
07-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Am finishing up a mono build with a pro plus 240. It's been a while and I'm just wondering if adjusting the throttle percentage up on the Spektrum transmitter after calibration is still the current fix for getting 100% throttle on these Hifei esc's? It doesn't look like there is 240 firmware on Hifei's site.