PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded spartan need help. In laws issues

T3tsaya
07-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Okay my father in law has a spartan and he bought it stock and he was like I want faster and I took it upon myself to help him out and I knew nothing. So I got him a castle 1550 or 1515 2200kv motor with a octura m545 prop and a turnigy aquastar 240 amp esc running on 6s with a nice flex cable and have installed 4 trim tabs on the back. Issue number one is the esc no longer works because I believe we put too much power through it. Issue number two is he has seen how fast it went for one run and now it's burnt up. Now I need to it go just as fast but be safe aka don't blow up when running or get too hot to where things are damaged. He is mad that he has almost a grand or more into it and its not running safely my fault. What do I need to get it to be in the upper to mid 60s the faster the better without dmg. Would like to spend the least mount possible so trying to keep either the motor or esc here would only like to change one and may e a bigger prop but I need some experienced help here thanks guys. I feel like I'm letting my father in law down and he can make even the strongest willed man feel bad thanks lol

martin
07-17-2013, 07:01 AM
As you have experienced a 2200kv is not a 6s motor @ 49,000rpm unloaded, its better suited to 4s. Even on 5s @ over 40,000rpm unloaded is not a safe area for sport running. To keep things safer you need to be 30,000- 35,000 max area. A good combination for 6s use is 1500-1600kv.

siberianhusky
07-17-2013, 07:11 AM
A pair of 4s packs for that motor! Or a motor with a lower KV - 1500 ish will work.
RPM too high + too much prop = too high amp draw with the unfortunately usual result.....
Near 50 000 rpm is almost guaranteed disaster, should be looking in the 30-35000 rpm range.
And just because it says 60k max on the end of a Castle motor does not mean that it is actually applicable for the intended use, maybe in a car where it's geared but not in a direct drive boat. Really wish Castle would remove that from the end of the can! Would save many people some headaches, nobody starts this hobby knowing everything and going by manufacturer specs can lead to problems if the manufacturer labels products with claims like that!
LOL Martin posted while I was typing.....