PDA

View Full Version : Help With Motley Crew That Stopped After 20 Second First Run

jjohn581
07-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I finally got around to running the Motley Crew that I have had for some time, this is new and never been run before. I charged 2 Hyperion 2S 45c 5000 mAh Lipos and installed them. I had previously aligned the prop shaft and greased the drive line. I have a new OSE drive shaft and 42 X55 GR prop but wanted to run it stock to then see the improvements. It was a little sluggish at the start and noted to my self to move the batteries back and there was some hesitation with the throttle It started to get on plane and then stopped. Got the boat back and when I opened the hatch there was a definite burnt smell and the motor was almost too hot to touch. The ESC was not hot. I checked the water lines and there was no obstructions and I could see some drops in them. I let it cool down and now it does nothing. There no longer is a signal between the transmitter and the boat since there are no beeps, in fact, I thought there was a small light on the receiver and there is nothing now. I did try to reset it and there still is no light. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

BHChieftain
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Note, if the motor is completely dead you won't hear any beeps since it is the motor that makes the beeping sound when you initialize the ESC-- see if you have rudder input working.

Some things to check
-What prop were you running? (need to confirm you did not overload the system with a larger prop esp. on stock connectors)
-Did you leave a 2-3mm gap between the drive dog and the strut (the flexshaft can compress and bind up the driveline overheating the motor)
-Are the cooling lines really clear-- try blowing a mouthful of water through the lines

If all of these are ok, then it could have been a problem with the motor like a bad bearing.

If you can't get the steering servo to work then there is something else going on maybe with the ESC (which could have killed the motor).

Chief

jjohn581
07-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply and here are my responses to your questions. 1). the rudder is not working. 2) It is totally stock now, stock plastic prop. 3) There is a 2 mm gap between drive dog & strut, flex line turns pretty easily with slight bumps while turning when connected to motor 4) blew mouthful of air through line but will do with water

I had planned on upgrading this boat and already have a new flex shaft and metal prop. A new rudder with water input should be here this week. The motor and ESC were on my list but not this soon but that may have changed. I saw that OSE has a replacement package with the same motor and upgraded ESC & water jacket or I could order ESC & motor separately. I am leaning in that direction due to this episode with the stock parts not running more than half a minute Any recommendations on replacement ESC & motor combos that work well would be appreciated. From reading the forums it looks like a lot move up to a 40mm motor and a 180 A ESC. Since this is larger than stock, are there any issues getting them to fit?

Fluid
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
The stock parts should have run for a long long time, something is wrong. The receiver is probably not getting power from the ESC. A shorted motor (hot) could have taken out the ESC. My MC parts have been running great for over a year with a larger than stock prop no problems. Contact AQ Customer Service, they may take care of you - worth a try.

jjohn581
07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks Fluid I will contact AQ customer service. This boat is new but has sat in its box for I'd say around 2 years and never been run so I would not expect it to still be covered by warranty but it would be nice if they did help out and you never know. I will see if I can find a serial number before I contact them since it was one of the earlier models and from reading the forum it looks like there were some problems with the first couple of runs of this model. I still have one of their nitro Hammers and it has always been a steady performer but I don't want to mess with the gas stuff anymore.

BHChieftain
07-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Don't give up on the stock motor and ESC-- they are really good components. I use them in my p-limited racers.
Chief

jjohn581
07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Went ahead and sent ESC and motor back to Hobby Services for repair. Turning the motor with it out it is not so smooth and I think it is fried but still wondered how it could happen in less than 30 seconds. That probably than affected the ESC. The prop and flex shaft turn freely when not connected to the motor. Will let you know what they tell me. I now also think that the Motley Crew and I are not meant to be. I decided it would be a good time to install the SV 27 rudder I ordered to add cooling. The first 2 set screws on the rudder came out fine but the one on the rudder tiller arm stripped when I tried to get it out. I think I have a small enough EZout or I'll just have to drill it out & get another tiller arm, grrrrrrrrrrr.

jjohn581
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Just an update on this - I did send the parts back to Hobby Services with an explanation on what happened and got an email back that the ESC and motor were received but they were waiting on parts. I have been out of town but on getting back yesterday I had a box and in at was a new motor, water jacket and esc all at no cost! I was very surprised since this was way past the warranty period and didn't expect it. I I commend AquaCraft for their customer service and thanks for the tip Fluid to contact them.

skater368
10-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes the service is great from them. I have 2 Lucas Oil boats and both motors fried. New one in hand within days. I'll be trying this tomorrow.