PDA

View Full Version : torn between battery options

kookie_guy
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok, so I have a few choices to make as far as lipos go...

1) 2s packs, in series, high capacity (I would get 4)
2) 4s packs, in parallel, high capacity (I would get 2)
3) 5s packs, in parallel, high capacity (I would get 2)

Here's my logic. If I run in parallel, I might as well go with 5s for the higher 18.5v, which the stock electronics should handle (20v is what I've seen). I would get sickly long run times, but at the same time could have a heat issue running so long.

If I go with the 2s packs, I will have lower voltage, shorter run times per packs, same run time overall (if mah is same between all options). But heat would not be as big an issue. I would save some weight. And can take a break between packs if things get warm. Plus if I blow one up, cheaper to replace.

So, what do you guys think? Money wise, option 1 and 2 are pretty well the same total. Option 3 is obviously a little more money.

:help:

Mich. Maniac
07-12-2008, 01:27 PM
option 2 would be a good choice for that boat as it has plenty of power for the weight. Also If you ever get another hull, smaller like a rigger or hydro you could just use one pack. Or larger hull you would have plenty of room and plenty of amp supply for larger esc, motor.
****JUST MY OPINION*****

kookie_guy
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
option 2 would be a good choice for that boat as it has plenty of power for the weight. Also If you ever get another hull, smaller like a rigger or hydro you could just use one pack. Or larger hull you would have plenty of room and plenty of amp supply for larger esc, motor.
****JUST MY OPINION*****

that's a good point. So you would stick to the 4s as opposed to the 5s?

kookie_guy
07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Is this a reliable charger for lipos? Says it comes with a built in balancer. Is there anything else I would need for this or is it ready to charge out of the box?

http://www.rclipos.com/HP-EOS0606i.htm

Rex R
07-13-2008, 03:26 AM
well you need to hook it up to a source of power...;) but seriously you need to make a charging harness(to connect it to the packs you wish to charge).

kookie_guy
07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
well you need to hook it up to a source of power...;) but seriously you need to make a charging harness(to connect it to the packs you wish to charge).

the source of power is not a problem. not quite sure about what you mean by the second thing about needing to make a charging harness. Does it not come with a balancer and all that already on it?

Rex R
07-13-2008, 09:52 PM
the wires that connect the charger to the main discharge leads on the pack. er lets suppose that you're using deans plugs for boat and battery...you would need an adapter with a male deans pug(battery end) and a pair of 4mm plugs(male) to pug into the charger(the balance taps/plugs...the charger comes with a suitable connectors for them)

kookie_guy
07-14-2008, 06:37 AM
the wires that connect the charger to the main discharge leads on the pack. er lets suppose that you're using deans plugs for boat and battery...you would need an adapter with a male deans pug(battery end) and a pair of 4mm plugs(male) to pug into the charger(the balance taps/plugs...the charger comes with a suitable connectors for them)

oh ok. I get it. So other than having to make the adapter cable I would be good to go right? As long as the balancer taps on the packs were the same style as the built in balancer.

Rex R
07-14-2008, 01:58 PM
correct. if you have the parts and tools it should take 5-10 minutes(depending on your soldering skills ;))

kookie_guy
07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
(depending on your soldering skills ;))

top notch. hehe, do it on a daily basis.

perfect, thanks for the help

kookie_guy
07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
now, if I already have a pretty beefy power supply at home (18v/30A adjustable) can I just get this charger and save some money? Looks like it has all I need. Only 1 battery at a time (like the other one) but I'm not looking to spend $270 either. hehe.

http://www.rclipos.com/RCL.html

Wakesurfer
07-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Your second link didn't pull a charger up. The first Hyperion you listed is a good charger, but is going to be a little limited in capacity (wattage). Sounds like you already have a good power supply. I'd recomend the Hyperion DUO. That way you can charge 2 high capacity packs at 1C with no problems. I know it stings the wallet a little, but buying a chaper charger and then having to buy a better one later will cost you more. I kind of like being able to keep up with all the race batteries for my son and I with one charger. Sunday I was able to keep the 4 2s8k packs for the EMaxxs and the 2s6ks for the Rusty and Bandit all charged and ready for 3 5 minute heats, a 5 minute B main for the boy's Maxx and the 10 minute A main in monster truck for both of us. Kinda cool seeing my 5 year old bump up from the B to the A main.

kookie_guy
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Your second link didn't pull a charger up. The first Hyperion you listed is a good charger, but is going to be a little limited in capacity (wattage). Sounds like you already have a good power supply. I'd recomend the Hyperion DUO. That way you can charge 2 high capacity packs at 1C with no problems. I know it stings the wallet a little, but buying a chaper charger and then having to buy a better one later will cost you more. I kind of like being able to keep up with all the race batteries for my son and I with one charger. Sunday I was able to keep the 4 2s8k packs for the EMaxxs and the 2s6ks for the Rusty and Bandit all charged and ready for 3 5 minute heats, a 5 minute B main for the boy's Maxx and the 10 minute A main in monster truck for both of us. Kinda cool seeing my 5 year old bump up from the B to the A main.

ya it does sting the wallet. hehe. the one I was trying to refer to was the Hyperion HP-EOS-0606i Li-Poly DC Charger / Balancer. It's basically the same as my first one, minus the power supply. The packs I'll be running are 4S, 5000mah. In the long run, I probably will get the dual one. So you have good success with it? No issues with lipos going boom? Also, is it hard to set the thing up? Once I set it for the lipos, I will not change it, as I use my duratrax twinpeak for my nimh and am super happy with it.

cheers.

edit...these are the packs I will likely be running...

Elite EL4S-4800 Li-Poly Battery
14.8V 4800mAh (4 cells) 25C/35C

Rex R
07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
going 'cheap' now with your charger = false economy later. the 610 duo is a very nice lipo charger(haven't tried using it to charge other types). takes about 40-50 minutes* to charge a pair of 4800 4s packs. comes with 4 charge leads(sans batt connectors) and 2 polyquest/hyperion balance connecters. took me a few minutes to get used to the menus and the button layout...but the manual(which you d/l) walks you through the setup process.
*depends on how much you took out, and how much you want to put back...you can shave a good 10 min.s off if you stop at 95% charge ;)

kookie_guy
07-15-2008, 02:45 PM
going 'cheap' now with your charger = false economy later. the 610 duo is a very nice lipo charger(haven't tried using it to charge other types). takes about 40-50 minutes* to charge a pair of 4800 4s packs. comes with 4 charge leads(sans batt connectors) and 2 polyquest/hyperion balance connecters. took me a few minutes to get used to the menus and the button layout...but the manual(which you d/l) walks you through the setup process.
*depends on how much you took out, and how much you want to put back...you can shave a good 10 min.s off if you stop at 95% charge ;)

looks like I'm gonna save some pennies and grab the 610. As you said, might as well go with something good right from the start.