PDA

View Full Version : 60mph but runs hot

gr8evo
07-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Hi new to the boat game but loving it so far. So I picked up a used revolt and ran it on 4s and it was a dud. Ran 32mph with a m545. Swap motors to a no name 2000kv and it ran 45mph. it was a mess. Left me wondering how people are getting 50+. I am not dead set on top speed just looking for fun and power.

I threw in seaking 120 with a 6s 8000mah 80c custom pack. It popped the speed controller, caught fire and sank lol.

Moving on I repaired the hull for fun(looks like crap) layed down two layers of carbon Kevlar. Put a seeking 180 with the 6s pack, m645 its very heavy but to my surprise it handles great. Played with the tabs and threw the gps in it. It ran 60 on the dot without trying. Turn fins still down and running wet. Very nice but the motor wires run hot. The hull handles the speed amazing. I think the heavy 8000mah pack made the boat very stable.

Any suggestions. It’s a super fun boat like this but I want to keep it in one peace. The esc, motor ,pack temps never pass 125 but the dam motor wires are hitting 170+.

TheShaughnessy
07-10-2013, 01:45 AM
What kind of connectors?

Fluid
07-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Since it is a "no name" motor there is probably little you can do past reducing the amp draw. Thin, cheap wiring has high resistance and will get hot. If you are measuring 170* then they got a lot hotter than that before they started to cool off. High resistance connectors can increase the heat too.

lenny
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Put some 5.5 bullets on that setup,
Then run it and check temps and see if they help any.
Added caps help to some times with the heat.
How long do you run it to reach those temps at the motor wires ?

gr8evo
07-10-2013, 08:41 AM
That’s around 4min run time. they are the standard 4mm connectors. Had a problem with melting deans on the battery and went to a 6mm bullet and it stopped that. I guess next step would be to try larger bullets on the motor wires. The motor came stock in a zonda. It is a brand name just no name to me lol. The stock revolt motor went up first time out on 6s and also fried a stock geico 29 motor in under a minute.

Went out with the stock prop this morning and it helped. Motor wires around 140. With the m645 it started melting the solder. I do run it a lot at part throttle and whack it wide open for short burst. Wondering if my driving style is causing too much load.

Any and all tips are appreciated. Probably should drop the kv or down to a 5s pack but love the power the way it is.

BHChieftain
07-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I would think about keeping your rpms under 40K (35K is tops for me). 1500-1600kv motor for 6s, 1800kv for 5s, 2200kv for 4S but all these need more ESC than stock (that seaking 180A is good). With the high KV + high volts + huge prop you are just pulling way too many amps.

If you want to push it and are looking for the best motor, I'd try the neu 1515 but it is not cheap.

Chief

Mike Caruso
07-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi new to the boat game but loving it so far. So I picked up a used revolt and ran it on 4s and it was a dud. Ran 32mph with a m545. Swap motors to a no name 2000kv and it ran 45mph. it was a mess. Left me wondering how people are getting 50+. I am not dead set on top speed just looking for fun and power.

I threw in seaking 120 with a 6s 8000mah 80c custom pack. It popped the speed controller, caught fire and sank lol.

Moving on I repaired the hull for fun(looks like crap) layed down two layers of carbon Kevlar. Put a seeking 180 with the 6s pack, m645 its very heavy but to my surprise it handles great. Played with the tabs and threw the gps in it. It ran 60 on the dot without trying. Turn fins still down and running wet. Very nice but the motor wires run hot. The hull handles the speed amazing. I think the heavy 8000mah pack made the boat very stable.

Any suggestions. It’s a super fun boat like this but I want to keep it in one peace. The esc, motor ,pack temps never pass 125 but the dam motor wires are hitting 170+.

You are having fun!