PDA

View Full Version : Coopers delta force 41 build

Cooper
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Well I got the itch for a build. I'm mostly a cat man but decided to build a mono. I am planning on making this a sport wave jumping ruff water boat.

Cooper
07-08-2013, 11:24 PM
I started working on reinforcing the hull. I'm glad I bought this and not a china replica. It does seem well built and fairly strong. Only reason I'm reinforcing is I'm planning on some good bashing with this when the conditions are not so favorable to be running the cats.

Cooper
07-08-2013, 11:27 PM
This is just getting the inlay positioned.

Cooper
07-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Always have to have help in the shop!! Don't know if any of you remember me building the MADD Catt but the mad cat is back helping me build!! Well enough for tonight and letting the resin setup.

Xcesive8
07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Looks good!
What setup?

Cooper
07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
I have had some tp motors looking for a home for over a year now so I decided to use them,
5692 1200kv
Castle ice 240 speedo
1/4 drive line
Speed master hw
And am working on building a flood chamber

iridebikes247
07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
your cat sleeps on top of a corvette? thats awesome lol. i look forward to this build. think im building a df41 in a few weeks, rough water these things are just amazing they remind me of the whitewater kayaks in profile and the way they look running through rough stuff. You'll be blown away by the performance of this thing dude they flat out rip.

On the german boards people have been really happy with the tp motors and find the leopards are incomparable to them.

Cooper
07-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Yea, I gave in and just put a bed in the roof of the car, at least he is there bothering and mocking me and not on the table knocking all the parts and tools off:)
Thanks , and I like to hear good things like that about this boat. I'm really trying how to get a flood chamber in and have the trim tabs and turn fin. I think I can work it, going to have to make some parts but I think I can make it work. I just want to be able to really sit back with a beer and no biggie if it flips-

Cooper
07-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I cut a piece of plate carbon for the transome. I don't think it was really needed as it is pretty beefy already but it will be smooth for hardware. And the chamber wall. It will be covered on outside with carbon cloth and the inside seam along hatch opening will get a strip of fg to secure better at hatch opening.

Cooper
07-10-2013, 11:30 PM
This is letting the resin set up. The cloth overlaps the hull and deck. This will also help tremendously with reinforcing hull.

Cooper
07-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Installed the stinger and rudder. The stuffing tube is just laying there while I get the motor mount lined up with tube.

CornelP
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
What will be the width of the channel? For a boat this size, you should have it at least 1" inside the hatch opening... The easy way to tell is to tape some weights in the boat, as close as possible to the weight of the components you will use, put upside down in the bathtub and see how much weight you need to turn it. This will give you the volume of water you need to start turning, hence the width of the channel...
This is how I've done it on a 30" boat:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?17471-Turbochopper-30

PS: oops... too late... you were posting the last pics when I was writing...

Cooper
07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Yes that is the best way, but for what I wanted to do I just going to add some weight inside chamber. With my components there isn't much room in there. I did have the idea of using the chamber wall for part of the motor mount. Any hardware securing motor could be accessed through vent holes in the hull side. It's been a bit of a quick build and I want to hit the water soon. Hopefully just a couple strips of lead will be enough.

Cooper
07-11-2013, 12:09 AM
And about half inch needs to be cut out on the back yet. In the pic , looking from the back the hole will be a good bit larger.

Cooper
07-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Well had her out today, after starting with a 457 (little too much prop) then a 450 still had some motor roll so had ended with a 4814. Have some funny video to follow.

Cooper
07-30-2013, 10:54 PM
http://youtu.be/DcOjCcKgsP8
The flood chamber works!!!

Cooper
07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Ik watch first then ill explain
http://youtu.be/Lf-Wxe7Sr_w

Well,,,, yes she is running very wet. Yes doesn't turn we'll to the left, I haven't made the bracket for the turn fin. I am still getting this dialed in and use to the steering. I hit the marker and when I did it kicked the rudder. I did not know that till I punched it and "wamm". As soon as that happened I knew what happened!!! No real damage just a dime size chip about two inches back from tip. Then when I blipped the throttle it did hit a log. That was why I said Opps I hit a log, not referring to the pontoon boat :) lol!!! Then as I was walking over to get it double whammy !! I slipped in the muddy bank and well kept the phone and radio dry! Just browned my pants!!! Lol!! It's been a fun day!!!

lenny
07-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Well it runs. :lol:
To bad no video of you taking the dip to. :sinking-guy:

srislash
07-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Don't worry bud,it happens to us all. Hit something at the other side of lake and didn't realize it flipped the rudder on the Shocker till it was "full tilt" toward me and closing in.Flew about 20'ft when it hit shore:doh:. Do have vid somewhere on here.

Glad to see the flood chamber functions well.The monos sure handle different hey there RW.

Chrisg81983
08-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Cooper another sweet build bro. We really need to get together one day soon. I love the df 41 its my favorite mono I ever owned or ran. It is a pretty tough hull right out of the box. Sorry about your misfortune but *!***!***!***!** happens rite and as long as you have the skills or talent to fix it then its not that terrible.

Cooper
08-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Ok some new parts, I made a left turn fin adapter.

Cooper
08-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Got a more powerful servo and swaped out bullet connectors on motor. (Melted the 5mm ones- yes was pushing it too much had to prop down).

lenny
08-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Won't the turn fin bracket add a lot of drag ?
Also I think it was running so wet in that video,
That the drag from the water and amp load on the setup most of been very high and that could be why the 5.5 melted free.

Cooper
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Lenny yes, way too wet of a run. And the bracket is being mounted inside the flood chamber. Only thing on outside of hull will be button head m4 screws.

lenny
08-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Oh Nice, :tiphat:
That will work great than.
Also that run in the video, Was that on 8s ?
I thought it was on 4s and it was screaming to get up on plane.:hide:

Chrisg81983
08-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Cooper I have done things to dinogys that nobody should do. I brought them down to 2.6 a cell so on a load with my 3040's it was probably 2.2 a cell maybe lower. The packs were fine as they ever were. This was the one and only time I screwed up with a lipo and thought they were smoked. I'm sure if we made a habit of this it wouldn't be good

ray schrauwen
08-26-2013, 10:17 PM
So what was the width of the chamber you settled on? I'd like to do this to my 40" mono. How much weight did you settle on and what packs do you use? Sorry if I missed something.

http://youtu.be/DcOjCcKgsP8
The flood chamber works!!!

Cooper
08-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Hey sorry about the delayed response, started a remodeling project and its expanded into a lot more!!! I'll check the dimensions for you and post up. I do have a (about) 1/2" round by 10" piece of stainless steel zip tied to the far side of the flood chamber. I can run two 4s 5000mah Dino's (or a 4s and 3s , a bit more electronic friendly). I have the one battery velcrowed to the side of the flood chamber and the other one velcrowed next to the stuffing tube, both on same side of flood chamber. Had to play around with trim tabs to counter the weight for handling. If I did it again I would make the chamber about 1/2" to 3/4" wider. That would lessen the weight needed to be added. Making handling easier.