PDA

View Full Version : Paint for SV27?

Test0055
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I painted my (white) SV27 green. Wanted to test how it'd come out with some acrylic paint and must say I do not like the result.
I did a good cleaning, painted a few layers of primer and finished with three-four coats of green and lots of clear coat. Still, the paint is brittle and not very smooth in texture.
It's soft and easy to scratch...

I wanted to try this paint on the SV27 because I'm about to build a large gas boat and need paint options.
Now I know I have to go to the car paint shop and buy real 2komp paint and laquers, this just don't cut it!

Video of some 12s NiMh driving... I also have a 4s LiPo and it's much faster :banana:
Video Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQN7zr5_s1s)

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7982/48606985pf4.jpg

avengersteve
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
gotta ask.. did you use a primer, and allow a good long time for your paint to dry between layers?

Mich. Maniac
07-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I think it looks sharp, I painted mine with PPG acrylic enamel and it orange peeled as well. I painted the cat I have with PPG urethane and it turned out flat as glass. The difference I feel between spray can stuff is the actuall hardener you must put in auto paint.

sci-flyer
07-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Does anyone now of a close color match for an orange SV?
I've done a few mods to my hull and would like to touch it up.
Pictures ... Yes I removed a bit .

lonewolf
07-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I cant answer the color match ??? But I have read that painting hulls is ok if you start from scrach. laying paint , primers ect, it pays to do a test before going all out. if you dont know whats already layed down its a toss up what will happen.
Each brand has their own requirements in how to lay them down. There is also the mixmatch concept get it wrong and you will be removing your work. It pays to do a test of what you plan on laying down over paint, or clears. some work well togeher some DONT. I personally use autoair airbrushpaints with omnicoat 2 part clear. have not had any issues with orange peel or lifting ect. I did have an issue with my 2nd hull and i believe i had a primer issue. not clean, bad mix whatever the case 1st peel of tape lifted the paint. All I can say is do a test. Keep it clean and where rubber gloves. you know your super dry hands ya they do leave oils.... Dave

ChaKane
07-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Why not take a piece of the hull to the paint store and have them colour match it?

sci-flyer
07-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Through a search I found out the Pantone color number is(021c) ,cant find a
paint supplier that gives Pantone #'s.
I did find a Tamiya spray can that looks close(ts-12 orange).
Has anyone had any luck with Tamiya paint over the original SV finish?
Or any type for that matter. Something in a rattle-cans is what I'm looking
for.

Jeepers
07-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Through a search I found out the Pantone color number is(021c) ,cant find a
paint supplier that gives Pantone #'s.
I did find a Tamiya spray can that looks close(ts-12 orange).
Has anyone had any luck with Tamiya paint over the original SV finish?
Or any type for that matter. Something in a rattle-cans is what I'm looking
for.

I have been watching your build on RRR its very cool! when is it going to be completed?

Rex R
07-20-2008, 02:32 AM
I've had pretty good success using tamiya (laquer) over standard krylon...provided that the humidity wasn't excessive, temps reasonable(65-72F), and little air movement. those last 2 bits will(I think) cause fogging if the paint dries to fast. lite coats w/ a min of 15 minutes between(30 minutes is better). give it at least a week before putting any weight on it(takes a while for all of the solvents etc. to work their way out). hth
rex

sci-flyer
07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Jeepers...

Hopefully before the water turns hard. LOL

Rex R...

Thanx, that is good info. I am not too worried about it turning out
perfect, just something presentable for now.

My main concern is the paint not curing or attacking the original finish.

I will have to do a test on a small portion and see how it goes.

lonewolf
07-20-2008, 11:03 AM
You just might have a chance to run it against my pickle ....lol